• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Specials seem OP?

flamingoezz

Inkling
With the new patch, ink storm, baller, splashdown and stingray all got buffs. I think they are more balanced -- as those 4 were almost useless before, but it seems like I spend much of my round backing up to dodge an endless barrage of tenta missles, ink storm, and ballers. Primary weapons seem almost like tools to just use to get your special. I think it should take slightly longer to fill your special bar, or that special sub abilities should have less impact.

Saturn

LFT mid range, former xlt
NNID
Saturnity
Switch Friend Code
SW-7252-9309-8314
I've been kinda thinking this, but really it just means that inkjets and ink armor users aren't running around with huge advantages.

The only thing I would change is to prevent baller from being used like a panic button. Increase its starting delay and maybe give it another small buff to compensate. I don't think it's overpowered, it's just encouraging really reckless play.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Well I think that's what they're for, if they don't have the ability to change the flow of the game then Ults have no real purpose existing at all.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
They're not bad. The Baller is the new panic button, sure, but it's nothing like the Kraken or Bubbler. It just gets you out of a pinch--maybe (it still has a startup time, more than the Kraken/Bubbler but less than Ink Armor)--and it's difficult to get kills with. Ink Storm is still just an annoyance (by itself, anyway), Tenta Missiles haven't changed, Stingray still leaves the user terribly vulnerable and is hard to aim.

Saturn

LFT mid range, former xlt
NNID
Saturnity
Switch Friend Code
SW-7252-9309-8314
Well I think that's what they're for, if they don't have the ability to change the flow of the game then Ults have no real purpose existing at all.
That's not really true, specials can add a lot to the game without having to be so strong that they're Easy Buttons like in S1. We don't have to be something like Overwatch, I hear Quake Champions also has weak ults that are still interesting.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
I somewhat agree. Only some buffs *cough cough STING RAY cough cough* were needed, but not Ink Storm, Splash down, and all of the Baller's. Only Sting Ray and Baller needed a little buff.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
The current baller is a very strange case. In some ways it's well balanced, being only useful if the conditions are right for it. However, in other encounters it feels like they made it too good with the ball itself taking a LOT of damage before breaking. Two people shooting at it may disarm the ball pretty quickly, but if you are alone trying to deal with one, and you have little room or ink to escape, it's pretty devastating.

The only other buff that's really apparent to me is the Stringray, which is for the best since it needed it the most.

flamingoezz

Inkling
I think Sting Ray needed the buff it got. Ink storm needed a somewhat significant bump. Baller and splashdown didn't need as much as they got. Baller could use a tad more pushback when shooting it, but i like the range boost.

Overall, I think the specials are pretty even now. I just feel like the frequency is so high that you see tenta missles lock on and get on the move to avoid them, then a second later ink storm rolls in, then another batch of tenta missles. It feels like too much, especially because all the specials are so strong now. I think it was less noticable before because nobody feared baller, splashdown, inkstorm, sting ray.

I somewhat agree. Only some buffs *cough cough STING RAY cough cough* were needed, but not Ink Storm, Splash down, and all of the Baller's. Only Sting Ray and Baller needed a little buff.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I have absolutely no idea why the ink storm got buffed because it was already one of the best specials before the buffs. I'm not saying this from a place of salt. It's one of my favorite specials to use. Also, it's a bad idea to buff a special that it's on so few popular weapons at the time of the buff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom