• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splat Brella Help

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
I LOVE the Brella. I think it's a very unique weapon and fits the theme of unconventional weaponry Splatoon goes for. I've played it a lot since it was released however, I feel I don't quite understand how to play it properly. When running Brella, I find myself throwing out a lot of Sprinklers and I do try to go for splats if I think I can win the engagement. The problem in this case is my aim (which has always been horrible). I seem to have a miserable time connecting shots with the Brella. I go into the practice room and practice aiming with it every time I hop on Splatoon. In actual games though, it seems like that practice didn't mean a thing so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong there. I make use of the shield when possible and try to fake people out, but sometimes I get killed anyway when the opponent is shooting in front of me and my shield is still up. I get that splash damage from bombs and Blasters can do this but standard shots does this most of the time and I'm not sure why. I tend to run out of ink a lot when I play the Brella. I usually run Ink Saver Main and Sub gear to help with that.

I've seen scary Brella players which shows that it is viable to a degree, but I can never get consistent results with it. Sometimes I do well and other times I get destroyed. I use the standard Brella the most and have tried the Sorella Brella a couple times (and I do like it since it's more offensive and I like being able to quickly go on the offense). I'm not a fan of the Undercover despite the buffs and the Tenta Brella is too slow for my tastes.

I want to become a scary Brella player but I'm not sure how I should be playing the weapon or how I can improve my aim with it. Am I playing it wrong by being a bit aggressive with it or throwing out a lot of Sprinklers? Should I be using more helpful gear? Are the other Brellas better choices? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Unrelated note: Anyone ever see the correlation between the standard Brella and Ink Storm?

Metasepia

Inkling Cadet
TBH I'm not too much of a Brella player myself, even though it is my fourth weapon with the most ink coverage. What I do know, however is that Brellas have been making a comeback in the comp scene as a counter to the popular dualies due to their ability to punish rolls and take tons of map control, which Dualies need to perform well. But for as to how a Brellas is played, is how much ink one can lay down; the Brella itself paints decently, but with it's kit of sprinkler and Ink storm, you can gain tons of map control and keep it relatively well. The Brella is also used as a frontline distraction; keeping the enemies focused on your shield while your other teammates finish them off. Another ability you may want to look at is run speed as it helps with strafing quite a bit and perhaps Ink recovery as well. This is most of the main info on Brellas that I know. Hope I was of service :-).

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Since the nerf Sprinkler is hardly worth throwing out anymore imo. I'd only do it when repositioning while you're not near enemys. Though honestly, unless you really like Inkstorm, I'd recommend the Sorella. The auto-bomb buff is much appreciated, and forcing opponents to move where you want and the explosions chip damage will make securing splats easier. Also do you use sticks or motion controls?

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
TBH I'm not too much of a Brella player myself, even though it is my fourth weapon with the most ink coverage. What I do know, however is that Brellas have been making a comeback in the comp scene as a counter to the popular dualies due to their ability to punish rolls and take tons of map control, which Dualies need to perform well. But for as to how a Brellas is played, is how much ink one can lay down; the Brella itself paints decently, but with it's kit of sprinkler and Ink storm, you can gain tons of map control and keep it relatively well. The Brella is also used as a frontline distraction; keeping the enemies focused on your shield while your other teammates finish them off. Another ability you may want to look at is run speed as it helps with strafing quite a bit and perhaps Ink recovery as well. This is most of the main info on Brellas that I know. Hope I was of service :).
This gave a couple things to keep in mind and try. Thanks a bunch.

Since the nerf Sprinkler is hardly worth throwing out anymore imo. I'd only do it when repositioning while you're not near enemys. Though honestly, unless you really like Inkstorm, I'd recommend the Sorella. The auto-bomb buff is much appreciated, and forcing opponents to move where you want and the explosions chip damage will make securing splats easier. Also do you use sticks or motion controls?
I use motion controls

IMO throwing out a lot of sprinklers is not a good idea as you can easily ink more turf than it. Use Run Speed and Ink Saver Main so you can retain speed and ink.

Also, try this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Hf5OQL4UU0BL2ERBtYima8WCx4kSIQ34039SDAepkI4/edit
That link is perfect! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Reasons you may be getting smacked around when with an after opening could be due to lag, tickrate, and/or a slight delay when a fully opened brella starts registering hits. There's little you can do to mitigate that beyond timing and avoiding face-to-face moments whenever possible.

But do consider learning and experimenting sprinkler placement to make greater use from fewer tosses. Just go ahead and do this in recon mode and/or look up clips.

As for engagement, well, I've harebrained a sort of weird style for myself due to often wearing respawn punisher ever since the weapon released and forcing myself not to cower at spawn. "Git gud or respawn trying!" Basically it's a sort of sword-and-shield approach, shielding after nearly every shot while putting myself in melee range to not only score max damage but harass and bash foes with shield as well. There's a tad more that goes into it, but that's the general idea. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom