• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splat Charger/Hero Charger Replica tips?

Blast

Inactive
NNID
Blastystoise
So I recently got the Inkling girl amiibo and after playing through the challenges with the Charger I wanted to try and use one online too, but I don't have any experience with Chargers, really.

The main weapons I use are the Jr. and the .52 Gal with the stick controls, but I heard motion controls are way better for Chargers. Anyone have any tips on starting out with a Charger? It'd be much appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone :3

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
Learn how to run away from aggressors, know your charge time like your own name, maximize your distance from your opponent if possible, always go for one shot if possible, and then the rest comes naturally.

Sunstone

Let's ink it up... together!
NNID
Paleamethyst
I use stick controls as well and have always wanted to get the hang of chargers, but have never managed to do well on precision based weapons.

Any tips on how to get the hang of the motion controls?

Blast

Inactive
NNID
Blastystoise
I use stick controls as well and have always wanted to get the hang of chargers, but have never managed to do well on precision based weapons.

Any tips on how to get the hang of the motion controls?
I've recently started using motion controls exclusively and it's working out quite well. At first it was extremely awkward, but I'd suggest trying out a lot of the weapons and find the one that suites you. Personally, I found the Dual Squelcher to be best weapon to practice with with motion controls. If you're unsure about your ability with the motion controls, you could also mess around in TW, but I immediately started to try it out in ranked. What I'm getting at, using a weapon you're comfortable with and practicing a lot will probably help you ^^

BlueInk

Inkster Jr.
Yeah, using motion controls is better for chargers. The gear selection should be more focused on ink savor main and ink recovory.
As for using a charger, find high ground where you can see the whole map. Chargers are support weapons, they are meant to help your team advance in a map. ONLY move if your team moves. You basically just have to have good aimed with a charger. And as the saying goes, practise makes perfect.
Also, some charger friendly maps are Moray Towers, Saltspray rig, and Walleye Flounder Heights c:

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I've used the regular 'Scope for a while, maybe i can help??

-Practise a ton with the targeting dummies. Start off by simply shooting them, figure out how far you can be from the dummy before you'll get outranged. Find a sensitivity setting you're comfortable with. The scoped chargers have longer range(generally considered to be better), but vanilla chargers have improved mobility.
-If you can consistently hit targets, practise moving while sniping. If you can manage that, quickly sweep your view over the dummy and snipe it in one quick motion. You unfortunately don't have moving dummies but you can improvise.

-Keep your position in mind. You can't do a thing to people behind cover(obv.) but it's also hard to get rid of people directly below your perch or people above you. Keep a close eye on your map so you don't get shot in the back. Paranoia is your best friend.
-Without main savers, you'll have 5 full charged shots before you'll need a refill. If you use a splat bomb you'll only get one(correct me if i'm wrong).
-If people see you're wielding charger, keep yourself hidden (esp. against to E-Liters which outrange regular chargers). Don't rely too much on your splat bombs to do your work for you. If a good E-Liter knows you're there they'll keep an eye on you and won't let go. Other people will start piling subs on your perch.
-If you get splat don't return to the same position unless you really have to.
-SJ back to base if things look bad, toss a splat bomb at your feet if you know you're gonna get splatted. It might just give you a trade!
-On the same subject, change your location regularly, it's much easier to snipe people if they don't expect/see you. While high ground will give you the range advantage you'll also be a lot more visible.
-If you can't see anyone yet try using your map to find enemies.
-Stay away from enemy ink. If you have to, try to keep map control by inking turf to keep it safe but you'll have to keep in mind this'll reveal your current position.
-Also, use Cold-Blooded. You don't want to get tracked, especially not as a charger.

-Don't let Splat Bombs do your work for you. You're still a sniper. Use it to splat/move enemies you can't hit as a sniper but have little trouble hitting you. Roll them by aiming them to the ground to shorten their fuse. Keep in mind splat bombs will always have a big minimum range.
-If your special is ready, use it to reclaim turf or scatter enemies. Be extremely careful because you're a lot more vunerable than you look. If someone tries to close in on you, start backpedaling and roll bombs, the enemy will likely get stuck in the trail of explosions and get splatted for it's trouble. If things are really bad, stop your special and leave.

You can also watch streams of people playing chargers, some of them are really good and you might learn a thing or two from them.

TheFlyingSeal

Inkling
NNID
TheFlyingSeal
While I'm not a charger myself, I do have some advice to give since I love weapon analysis and do practice with a charger weapon every once in a while:

Charger types are the weapons you need the most practice on. It's something that you need to be determined to master.
But don't limit yourself to it.
Not every stage is going to be suitable for chargers. The whole point of the rotation is to add a little spice to your playing style. I'm a Squelcher user, but there will be wide stages in the roation that fit best with my other main, the Carbon Roller.
Recon a stage with the charger you've been practicing to see if you can find some good perching sites or even areas no one would suspect a charger would be. Know the maps and know your weapon.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
All right, my setup is as following: Jungle Hat, Sage Polo, and Black Trainers. I like this set because it is very versatile and can do a lot of things. In my brief time with vanilla charger before switching to Splatterscope, I learned you have to put your sensitivity down or up a lot. And you should learn how to twitch snipe, it helps a lot and is very satisfying when you pull it off. And try motion controls, they are much more fluid and help you twitch snipe. That's about my 2 cents on it.

Sunstone

Let's ink it up... together!
NNID
Paleamethyst
I have noticed I tend to stack ink saving and refilling skills like it's my job, but I like these tips!

I just had the idea that since I have the inkling girl amiibo, running her challenges again (i got her as soon as they dropped, so it's been months since I beat them) with motion on might help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom