• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splat Ladder Information

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
Splat Ladder Banner.png

Link to Splat Ladder

Introduction
Splat Ladder is a means of competitive play in which players battle each other and are ranked based off of their performance. However, unlike common competitive play, players are ranked independently, rather than as a team. This is ideal for players who don't have access to join a team, but still want to face off in competitive play.

Battle Structure and Rankings
Once custom lobbies are released, 8 players (who signed up to partake in the session) battle each other and compete for the highest score using the formula "(turf inked + ([kills - deaths][100])". This goes on for however many games are decided for that session. The winner is determined by who has the highest average score among all of the games. Rankings for the ladder are determined by a player's average score among all of the sessions.

Entry
Kids and squids alike are welcome to participate in the ladder. First, you need to join the group by clicking the "Join Group" tab and declare your membership here. To sign up for a specific session, you need to make a post in said session's sign up thread, first come first serve. A staff member or I will always have to be in a room for the sake of keeping score.

Questions and Comments
If you have any questions or comments feel free to post a comment in the comments below, in the Questions and Comments thread, or message me directly on Squidboards. I'm also available on Twitter @GameGalaxy64 and my email is gamegalaxy64@gmail.com. For further information go to the Rules page in the forums.

Last edited:

Valkyria

Bottom Feeder
NNID
Valkyriah
This ladder will get more interest and participants if oovoo was optional rather than mandatory. Since all 8 players are playing for their own personal benefit and rank, voice chat could easily backfire.

Player A: Hey, can someone take out that sniper on the ledge?
Players B, C, and D: What, go out of our way to waste time and potentially die while you rack up more points? No thanks.

And that's in a good scenario. I don't mind voicechat when it's with my personal team or people I know, but voicechat with strangers who could cuss each other out after a loss? Would rather not.

Additionally, if kills count towards a player's total score, then deaths should also play a factor. A player going 12-0 has played a better game than a player going 12-11, all else being equal. Kills aren't talked about in isolation. Rather, you hear the term K/D ratio because deaths are equally indicative of a player's skill. More often than not, a bad player is described as having 9 deaths, rather than 2 kills.

Tentacruel

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Kevin0217
This ladder will get more interest and participants if oovoo was optional rather than mandatory. Since all 8 players are playing for their own personal benefit and rank, voice chat could easily backfire.

Players B, C, and D: What, go out of our way to waste time and potentially die while you rack up more points? No thanks.

And that's in a good scenario. I don't mind voicechat when it's with my personal team or people I know, but voicechat with strangers who could cuss each other out after a loss? Would rather not.

Additionally, if kills count towards a player's total score, then deaths should also play a factor. A player going 12-0 has played a better game than a player going 12-11, all else being equal. Kills aren't talked about in isolation. Rather, you hear the term K/D ratio because deaths are equally indicative of a player's skill. More often than not, a bad player is described as having 9 deaths, rather than 2 kills.
Ditto.
Also if ooVoo is mandatory, can we Skype as an alternative? I think that the majority of people have Skype and would rather use it becuase its something they know how to operate, and they dont have to make an ooVoo for the sole purpose of Splat Ladder.

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion

Hey Valkyria, thanks for the insight.

In regards to ooVoo, I was thinking of it only being used prior to the game to make sure everyone is ready and in between games for a score update. But I guess it's not necessary, and I'm not a fan of voice chat anyway. I can see how that can go wrong.

Do you propose that you add up your kills and subtract your deaths from that amount and multiply that by 100 for your score? That's actually not a bad idea. I'll definitely consider it. If you have any other ideas feel free to share them, they helped a lot. I'm looking for this project to be the best that it can be for the community! :)

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
I
Ditto.
Also if ooVoo is mandatory, can we Skype as an alternative? I think that the majority of people have Skype and would rather use it becuase its something they know how to operate, and they dont have to make an ooVoo for the sole purpose of Splat Ladder.
I think I'll just abandon voice chat entirely, unless the participants want real time score updates, but that can be done by viewing Google Sheets. Honestly, I didn't want voice chat in it in the first place but I thought the community would want it, but I guess not. This is turning out to be great with all of the recommendations from you guys! Thanks! ;)

DaisyFan

Pro Squid
I normally use Skype to chat with people and Voice chat too. but not much often to be honest. am following the idea.

Tentacruel

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Kevin0217
I

I think I'll just abandon voice chat entirely, unless the participants want real time score updates, but that can be done by viewing Google Sheets. Honestly, I didn't want voice chat in it in the first place but I thought the community would want it, but I guess not. This is turning out to be great with all of the recommendations from you guys! Thanks! ;)
It depends what more people want, but me personally, I'd rather keep quiet during a match rather than be in a chat with people while I play. Especially since matches are 8 people, which might get hectic with everybody talking about the snipe they just got on you.

Scoot

Inkling
NNID
Scootpilgrim
Especially since matches are 8 people, which might get hectic with everybody talking about the snipe they just got on you.
Not if you either A: Assuming it would be skype team skype calls B: If not skype then skype alternatives (which i prefer for gaming) which would holster different rooms for each team meaning 4 to a room. (Examples. Mumble, TeamSpeak, discord etc. etc.)

Dragonuto

Pro Squid
Community Ambassador
NNID
Dragonuto
I'd say Voice chat should be allowed, if they want to use it they should but if they don't want to they can just not use it. Sure that puts a team without Voice chat at a bit of a disadvantage but it's their own personal choice. Sure there will always be those who shout and scream and blame the team they're a part of but if it's individual scoring why would it matter, the better players even if on a losing team would still get a high amount of Turf inked.

So I think you should allow voice chats.

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
Based on some of the responses and the fact that this is mostly an independent endeavor while playing, I'm going to make voice chat in Splat Ladder optional. That way people, who want it quiet can have it quiet, and people who want to communicate can communicate. It's a win-win (kind of).

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
If you're going to include voice chat, why not have a mediator in the call while this is going on to keep things in check? Mediator would be the host of the group and can kick any rude participants and disqualify them.

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
If you're going to include voice chat, why not have a mediator in the call while this is going on to keep things in check? Mediator would be the host of the group and can kick any rude participants and disqualify them.
That sounds like a good idea, I'll open it up to anyone who is interested. Thanks :)

Valkyria

Bottom Feeder
NNID
Valkyriah
Hey Valkyria, thanks for the insight.

Do you propose that you add up your kills and subtract your deaths from that amount and multiply that by 100 for your score? That's actually not a bad idea. I'll definitely consider it. If you have any other ideas feel free to share them, they helped a lot. I'm looking for this project to be the best that it can be for the community! :)
Yeah (kills minus deaths) x 100 seems much more balanced. Let us know if it should stop at 0 or if it goes into the negatives. Either should work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom