• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splat (USA/EU) Vs. Splat (Jp)

RainbowOni

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-6643-4364-0032
Hello, I'll do my best to make this as simple as possible; the purpose of this thread is to share my findings on the differences of Splatoon 2 regions copy, mostly the japanese one.

Where to buy the japan version of splatoon 2?

You can purchase the japanese version of splatoon 2 via importing sites like playasia/ Jp Amazon or through the japanese eshop with a japanese account.
- most credit cards won't work on the jp eshop so you might need to buy a digital nintendo eshop card online
- You can play on the japanese version with your USA/EU account, but your data won't transfer from your USA/EU copy.
- No you won't need to purchase nintendo online membership to play JP splat 2, as long as your other accounts have membership, it'll work for all games.

Aren't the games the same?

Yes, they are completely the same with a bit minor stuff. I'll list them and explain.

Exclusive items
The Japanese version of the game has exclusive items that are only redeemable in the jp eshop. Here's something cool though, once you redeem a code, all your accounts will automatically have that exclusive item, but this will only for the Jp version of the games. There has been rumors about these items coming to the USA/EU, but nothing reliable yet.

Larger player match-up
I somewhat believe that the JP version has a larger player base than compare to buying your regions copy. You'll still mostly play with players that are near you, but depending on the time of day, you'll encounter Japanese players and other players you wouldn't be able to if you bought your regions version.
Though you can still encounter out or region players but just not as often.

Splatfest
You can now participate in japanese splatfest

Will it lag?
To be completely honest with you, there has been a few internet issues when playing with players from another region, but they are honestly not that bad.

Okay, if you have any questions feel free to ask me! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom