• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Resource icon

Maps Splat Zones Guide : The Anchor

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
Pusha submitted a new guide:

Splat Zones Team Role: The Anchor - Where every splat zones set up should start.

This is an introduction to the role of the Anchor, in shooters and how this role applies to splatoon. Since the main gametype this applies to is splat zones, I'll be explaining the role of an anchor in terms of KOTH gametypes.

To put it simply, the anchor's job is to control and maintain a spawnpoint for his team. Ideally the anchor would set up at the nearest spawnpoint to the active hill so that if his teammates are killed defending the hill, they can quickly return on respawn.

You might...
Read more about this guide...

cacatod12

Inkling
NNID
cacatod12
Great guide!! BTW you should add the anchor location and best route to get to the anchor location for all maps as you did with SSR

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
Great guide!! BTW you should add the anchor location and best route to get to the anchor location for all maps as you did with SSR
Thanks man, leave a review if you'd like :)

I only include the anchor locations for the pother maps because so far i haven't been playing that role as much on those maps and the role is slightly less important (although still definitely important). While Saltpray should definitely use a dedicated anchor, maps like blackbelly might not need one. It could be more useful to always have players aware of the amount of teammates alive and just move to safely quickly when 3 are dead or make sure you're controlling an area enough for them to jump in.

I think Port Mackerel is the second most important Anchor Map, since it's very large and takes a while to get back.

Saturn

LFT mid range, former xlt
NNID
Saturnity
Switch Friend Code
SW-7252-9309-8314
The only problem is that you can't defend an area alone if your team dies, especially as something like a jet squelcher or .96 gal. Once the comp scene develops, they other team will know exactly where you are and you simply will not stand a chance if they know you're always trying to be the last one up. It would be much, much better to just have the gamesense to make everyone back out when your team bleeds too many players. Holding the upper area on Saltspray with a long range weapon is best because you can deny the walls around the zone, but you should not ever give one person the job of saving spawns in this game because once your team dies, the other team is more than capable of pushing into you within a couple seconds.

If the other team lets you hold the ramp all day and get good jumps for you team, by all means do it. It's definitely what I do on Saltspray. Just realize it's just a mistake on their part and it'll get phased out in August.

Last edited:

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
The only problem is that you can't defend an area alone if your team dies, especially as something like a jet squelcher or .96 gal. Once the comp scene develops, they other team will know exactly where you are and you simply will not stand a chance if they know you're always trying to be the last one up. It would be much, much better to just have the gamesense to make everyone back out when your team bleeds too many players. Holding the upper area on Saltspray with a long range weapon is best because you can deny the walls around the zone, but you should not ever give one person the job of saving spawns in this game because once your team dies, the other team is more than capable of pushing into you within a couple seconds.
The idea isn't to completely ignore the hill and only play for keeping spawns. But a major priority is keeping the spawn. Obviously any time 3 are dead it's going to be tough to stay alive, but if only 2 are dead and both teammates are in the hill shooting away in a gun fight, it's not exactly a good idea to jump in, and will most likely result in you getting killed. Thats why it's valuable to control the top section of the map on SSR, because it's a really great place to jump in with less risk and and direct access to the hill.

EDIT: playing anchor with bubbler is also very useful. Sometimes I opt for splattershot Jr with bubbler over a longer range weapon simply because it allows you to hold control even when your team is dying.

Funen1

Full Squid
NNID
Funen1
EDIT: playing anchor with bubbler is also very useful. Sometimes I opt for splattershot Jr with bubbler over a longer range weapon simply because it allows you to hold control even when your team is dying.
As a Jr. main myself, I was going to mention how I sometimes end up playing this role naturally despite it being a short-range weapon. Interesting that I'm not the only one who felt this way. Nice work on the guide, ought to help me make some smarter choices about my positioning going forward.

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
As a Jr. main myself, I was going to mention how I sometimes end up playing this role naturally despite it being a short-range weapon. Interesting that I'm not the only one who felt this way. Nice work on the guide, ought to help me make some smarter choices about my positioning going forward.
Yeah i love the weapon set on the classic Splattershot Jr

Phlox

Senior Squid
NNID
PhloxofBirds
Great guide! As a Charger, I often end up playing this role for my team naturally. One question, though: are Squid Beakons a good option for an anchor loadout? Because if so, something like a Krak-On Roller could be a decent option for holding down an anchor position.

Eclipsc70

Pro Squid
NNID
EJ_Matthews
Very well done. I usually play vanilla ink brush so i can get to key points quickly and ink it up just as fast. Do you think the ink brush could be a strong anchor? Unfortunately its range is the worst but it is one of the fastest inking weapons in the game, it does have sprinkler for inking/killing assists, and there is also ink strike which could happen very frequently with the ink brush.

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
Great guide! As a Charger, I often end up playing this role for my team naturally. One question, though: are Squid Beakons a good option for an anchor loadout? Because if so, something like a Krak-On Roller could be a decent option for holding down an anchor position.
Beacons are definitely a good idea, especially when placed/hidden close by but out of sight, or out of the way. If the other team has to go out of their way to destroy them then you're buying your team more time to regain map control. That's really what the role comes down to, is maintaining or regaining map control.

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
Very well done. I usually play vanilla ink brush so i can get to key points quickly and ink it up just as fast. Do you think the ink brush could be a strong anchor? Unfortunately its range is the worst but it is one of the fastest inking weapons in the game, it does have sprinkler for inking/killing assists, and there is also ink strike which could happen very frequently with the ink brush.
The ink brush let's you gain map control quickly, but the downside is that defending the anchor would be very difficult since it doesn't have the best kill time and basically needs to bank on a player's mistake, or surprise them entirely to secure kills. I guess depending on the map, it might be possible to play anchor with the ink brush, but i can't say for sure, i don't really use the weapon much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom