• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatcharger VS E-Liter

dylan_not_bob

Stardust Crusquider
I'm very interested in learning a charger. Figure I'll either pick up Kelp or Bento Splatcharger or the Vanilla E-Litre.

My question is: if I was interested in picking up a charger to go into competitive play (not tournaments or anything, but getting good enough to hold my own in ranked solo/squad) is it even worth picking up a non e-liter? It seems like ranked mode charger users are almost exclusively e-liters (not counting squiffers or bamboozlers), and I'm wondering if using anything less is enough to run with the pack.

Bonus question, for the Kelp, Bento or vanilla e-liters, what are some of your recommended gear sets?

Thanks!

Cyan

Inkling Commander
To be truthful, the Splatterscope series is far easier to use and get to grips with. It has a faster charge time and more shots per full ink tank than the E-Litre, allowing more room for error (which will happen until you get comfortable with chargers and reading people's movements to get the most snipes). Splat Chargers and E-Litres co-exist alongside each other, there is no "better" charger variant between them, and both can be used just as effectively and hold their own. In my opinion, and my experience, I find that Splat Charger/Splatterscope can be played more aggressively than the E-Litre, as it has more mobility whilst charging, a faster charge and doesn't have the 10% reduction in swim speed like the E-Litre. The E-Litre has been reduced to more of a perch sniper, especially with some of the final patch adjustments that were made to it. E-Litre really requires precise aim because you have a significantly longer charge time and only have 3 charges per full ink tank, so missing shots is pretty bad.

It all comes down to personal preference really, I would recommend starting with the Splat Charger line and then looking into the E-Litre when you start to perform consistently and are comfortable with the sniping role. Then you have to consider the kits and your own personal play style preference. Splat Charger comes with the options of :splatbomb:/:bombrush:,:sprinkler:/:killerwail: or :splashwall:/:echolocator: with the E-Litres offering :burstbomb:/:echolocator: or :squidbeacon:/:kraken:. The only chargers that really overlap here is the Bento and E-Litre, both offering Echo. I prefer playing Bento for the charger with Echo, I kind of need to focus on using the Wall more though, I generally spend time forgetting about it and never use it, but it's handy for setting up on exposed perches, especially when you know they have an E-Litre. Unfortunately the Wall isn't the greatest since the nerfs, so it doesn't stand for too long, but you should be able to get 2 shots off before it gets destroyed, and then you need to refill your ink tank anyway. I find that the Kelp is the most effective charger for Ranked, as the Spinkler is fab for map control and the Wail is super useful on Tower and Rainmaker, where it can stop pushes and pop the RM shield (which refills most of your special gauge if you get the pop). Wail can be used to force the enemy into revealing themselves too, which helps for sniping. The vanilla is really nice too, it has bombs which can be rolled past walls and corners, and can be thrown further or rolled close to space, as well as having a very good special for pressuring. As for the E-Litres, I prefer the Custom because if you have to play like a perch sniper and can't be too aggressive, you may as well just play more support with your kit. Beakons are so useful for the team, as it allows them fast access back to mid when it's needed most, as well as allowing you a retreat option after using your Kraken without going back to spawn, essentially the same as getting splatted. Think of the Kraken as the way people use Bursts on the vanilla, it's there as the panic button to save yourself from being flanked and splatted. The vanilla is of course liked for the Burst Bomb ground strat to save yourself, but I feel like the Custom provides better support than the vanilla can.

Here are the kits I use for these chargers:

:wst_charge_normalscp01: - :head_hbd002::ability_damage:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:, :clothes_shirt010::ability_runspeed:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:, :shoes_lts000::ability_swimspeed:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed: (I know that isn't the Krak-On 528 but it's close enough)

This Kelp set gives me the bog standard damage for a faster TTK (helping for the aggression play style) and manoeuvrability buffs to get around the map more easily (also allowing me to pick up the Rainmaker when it's needed). The idea behind this set is to be able to move quickly (even when charging shots I can strafe slightly faster) and be a mobile charger that can get move around easily whilst hitting shots, allowing me to challenge E-Litres where I can't reach from the normal perches.

- :head_eye004::ability_tenacity:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:, :clothes_tel010::ability_haunt:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:,:shoes_slo004::ability_swimspeed:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

Uses 1 Shiny and a Pure, but that's unavoidable when aiming for Tenacity + Damage on one gear and using Haunt. Haunt isn't necessary at all, but I've been experimenting and have had some positive results from it. I took out the Run Speed because the Wall means you should be more perch based as a charger. This weapon is essentially the go between for the Splat Charger vs E-Litre scenario. The Swim Speed has stayed because it's pretty useful for moving around and it's always faster than walking anyway. Haunt is here because when you get tagged you get Run Speed, Damage and Defence perks during the mark, which gives you more speed, a better TTK for your charge and you have Defence perks helping your endurance. Combined with Tenacity (to help charge Echo as there is no helpful subs for that), I can tag people quite a bit between the special and Haunt (which tags whoever splatted you).

:wst_charge_longscp01: - :head_hbd002::ability_damage:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:, :clothes_amb000::ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:,:shoes_shi004::ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

Once again, a build reliant on a shiny and pure, but that's the Splatoon devs' fault for not giving us all possible gear combos on stackable abilities across Headgear, Clothing and Shoes. The damage is standard, this allows you to splat at 75% charge iirc. The Ink Recovery is here so that I can get back to full tank quickly after placing a Beakon and just to get a full charge back ASAP and the swim speed exists for the purpose of countering the swim nerf and keeping a decent Kraken, it's essentially a requirement so you don't have a bad Kraken because of the E-Litre swim speed nerf. I prefer Ink Recovery to Saver Main when it comes to shots as I feel it's better to get ink back quicker to keep full charging shots at maximum speed than it is to get 4 or 5 full charges with loads of Saver Main. If you use the vanilla E-Litre than 2 mains or 1 main/3 subs of Saver Sub will give you 3 Bursts from a full tank, which lots of people do to help spam Burst Bombs on the floor to carry on with the CRC panic button. All in all it just depends on your personal preference, the way these work and how they fit with your tactics and strategies, that's without taking the kits into account. I wish you luck in learning the charger class!

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Damage up is nice to give your charge time that tiny *umph* to outspeed and turn a couple would-be-trades into kills if you plan on playing an "aggressive" charger,
but I personally only run one damage up, just as insurance for those times when I think my charge is full but was actually 90%.

Even though my charger playstyle would definitely benefit from damage up, since I occasionally like to sneak up on people inkbrush-style and snipe em dead, I opt against it in an attempt to curb my maniacal tendencies

AND

to look so fresh!

I used to be this sad squid...

dylan_not_bob

Stardust Crusquider
Thanks guys!

Think I'm going to try picking up the Bento. Does scope/no scope make a major difference other than distance or would it just be preference? I feel like losing my peripheral with a scope really bothers me.

I had been considering a build like the one you listed for Bento but hadn't really considered swim speed. Had originally thought ink saver main to get more shots per tank, particularly after throwing a wall or run speed for strafes. Since, as you mentioned, swimming is going to be faster for escaping generally anyway.

EDIT: just looked at how much ink saver you need to get a third shot after throwing a wall with a full tank and I can see why that's not really worth it

Last edited:

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
Thanks guys!

Think I'm going to try picking up the Bento. Does scope/no scope make a major difference other than distance or would it just be preference? I feel like losing my peripheral with a scope really bothers me.

I had been considering a build like the one you listed for Bento but hadn't really considered swim speed. Had originally thought ink saver main to get more shots per tank, particularly after throwing a wall or run speed for strafes. Since, as you mentioned, swimming is going to be faster for escaping generally anyway.

EDIT: just looked at how much ink saver you need to get a third shot after throwing a wall with a full tank and I can see why that's not really worth it
the scope really is your own preference. i can't stand the scope, i do much better without it, and some players find they do better with a scope. the distance increase is negligible so if you aren't a fan of scopes, no need to force yourself to use one :>

the splat chargers really are a lot more versatile than people would have you believe, if you're like me and prefer to move about rather than perch from a distance, they're ideal. some stages are pretty much e-litre only (moray and such) but you can get away with splat chargers on most stages if you're good. i'd take an experienced splat charger over a rookie e-litre any day, personally.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
HE SAID THANK YOU! THROW MORE ADVICE AT HIM!!!

Run speed is decent, good actually for strafing around cover, as you typed, but less so against damage up snipers(as they could charge up a lethal shot faster, assuming you have the same main weapon).

I'd say go for run speed over swim speed if you tend to stand your ground more often than tactically retreat, or vice versa.

OR use swim speed all the time always if you fear the flesh eating Kraken O_O

Scopes? It depends how MLG leet pro you want to be. I rarely see non-scoped splat chargers.
*Any charger* can work fine in solo ranked/casual squads buuut
*any* tidbit of range is amazing in practiced hands buuuuuuuuuuut

I go to TOWN on scope users >=P

Some love the close up vision, others hate it: either way, I abuse scoped snipers so I highly recommend never holding a charge if there is even a 1% chance of someone coming to splat your booty from behind/beside you.

Just start being SUPER paranoid about where the enemy squids are at.
If you are already like that (like me) and see EVERY corner or nook as an enemy waiting to pounce, you are still not paranoid enough: start wearing tin foil on your head, only eat canned peaches/beans and get a subscription to The National Enquirer. They are all iwoomynati o.o
(afterthought: Seeing an unguarded charger looking down a scope is like free candy to flankers. A very good bait tactic if you can figure out how to take advantage of that)

Bonus bonus answer: (because it only just clicked in my brain that Cyan left the good ol' classic, my favorite <3, buildless just for little ol' me to fill in. XOXO)

MY FAVORITE SPLATTERSCOPE BUILD!!!!
(no fancy pictures, no refunds)

~My trusty, never re-rolled, from opening week annie's hat store designer headphones
Sub saver main ability, with a swim, sub saver, and damage up because you can't make me re-roll <_>

~Longsleeve Pirate Tee(because pirates ftw)
with that sweet sweet main damage up syrupy goodness that all snipers crave, also two ink recoverys and a super jump because I'm lazy

~The lesser known cousin of red hi-tops, the hunter hi-tops!
I throw bombs like crazy. I am as ink thirsty as an e-liter, so-
MOAR INK RECOVERY!!! subs are two swim speeds because kraken stranger danger and 1 sub saver because I'm lazy and
WE NEED MORE BOMBS

Last edited:

dylan_not_bob

Stardust Crusquider
Yeah, one of the reasons I'm cautious about using scopes is because one of my favourite things to do is throw splat/suction bombs at the feet of scope users when they are charging, huehuehue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom