• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Splatfest unfairly matching players.

Do you think the team matching is broken?

• Yes

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Cazzark

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7169-4846-7973
I’m pretty good at splatoon. If I don’t get best player in the match, something is seriously wrong. I always get at least 1000p and win every match, but for some reason I go into splatfest and it’s still the same thing. I’m getting about 8 kills per round, 1200p except I’m almost never winning. My teammates always suck. I’m always having to carry my team and still losing significantly while still being the best player in the match. I’m in the baseball team for this current splatfest, and I’ve played about 30-40 rounds and won maybe 7 or 8 rounds. In fact today I did my best ever getting over 1700p but still losing at 25%! I think they are purposely putting me with terrible team mates. Like I’ll have a bunch of level 30 plus people on my time against level 12 and under on the other team and still be crushed. Something is seriously wrong.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
I’m pretty good at splatoon. If I don’t get best player in the match, something is seriously wrong. I always get at least 1000p and win every match, but for some reason I go into splatfest and it’s still the same thing. I’m getting about 8 kills per round, 1200p except I’m almost never winning. My teammates always suck. I’m always having to carry my team and still losing significantly while still being the best player in the match. I’m in the baseball team for this current splatfest, and I’ve played about 30-40 rounds and won maybe 7 or 8 rounds. In fact today I did my best ever getting over 1700p but still losing at 25%! I think they are purposely putting me with terrible team mates. Like I’ll have a bunch of level 30 plus people on my time against level 12 and under on the other team and still be crushed. Something is seriously wrong.
This is because in Splatfest they actually pair you with players of your skill level, unlike turf wars

Mightysplat

Inkster Jr.
Turf wars is quite a bit easier than splatfest. Remember that all the skilled players who don't play that much turf wars normally are playing splatfest so your competition is stiffer. A lot of level 12s have experience from the previous game or are smurfs so they can be better than level 30s.

Also if you almost always win in turf wars I'm impressed. Almost no one can do that. You just be on your way to a very high superfresh rating.

Cazzark

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7169-4846-7973
Oh it doesn't get higher than super fresh? I thought it would say something different after like 40 or 50 but it didnt.

MaeAnna

Inkling
This Splatfest in particular I felt was awful, but usually the teams aren't too bad. Once you play the 7 matches to get your power level especially I find them to have pretty decent matchmaking. This Splatfest alone for team baseball I was able to win 6 matches in a row. Just by how you worded your original paragraph, it sounds like you haven't played much ranked tbh. I'd suggest practicing ranked almost exclusively. You'll improve heavily and potentially get a wake-up call about not being as good as you might think you are. Work a lot on your play in ranked before the next Splatfest, and you'll probably get matched with better and better players.

Inkling kirby

Semi-Pro Squid
I wasn't losing as much as this, but I was consistently getting put into and against teams with around 200 less average power than mine (I was in the upper 2200's-low 2300's). I honestly have no idea how power works.

Cazzark

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7169-4846-7973
I wasn't losing as much as this, but I was consistently getting put into and against teams with around 200 less average power than mine (I was in the upper 2200's-low 2300's). I honestly have no idea how power works.
I am pretty sure its the amount of turf you cover, if you play turf war.

MaeAnna

Inkling
While I can't say 100% how it functions I'm positive it isn't based on how much turf you cover in Splatfest. It works more like league power. You start at a base power before you even being playing games, this is based on your rank. If you have many different ranks, I'm assuming it goes with whatever one is shown on SplatNet 2, really big above the rest of your ranks. Then based on how many wins and losses you have it goes up and down a certain amount. Take this with a pinch of salt, as I haven't done much research on the topic on how Splatfest Power is calculated. While I don't want to take this down to make some post below me make less since, I'm sorry for spreading any false information. I heard this somewhere before and should've checked my sources before posting. Again, sorry for any confusion I could've caused, and thank you for correcting and informing me.

Last edited:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I do feel the matchmaking in Splatoon 1 did a better job of pairing players of around the same power level together. I would certainly never get paired with people around level 10 or lower, but eh I still win most of the time so I'm good!

I believe Splatfest power is based on winning/losing, with you gaining more points for beating higher level teams/losing more points for losing to lower level teams, and vice versa.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
While I can't say 100% how it functions I'm positive it isn't based on how much turf you cover in Splatfest. It works more like league power. You start at a base power before you even being playing games, this is based on your rank. If you have many different ranks, I'm assuming it goes with whatever one is shown on SplatNet 2, really big above the rest of your ranks. Then based on how many wins and losses you have it goes up and down a certain amount. Take this with a pinch of salt, as I haven't done much research on the topic on how Splatfest Power is calculated.
What happens if you don’t have the Nintendo Switch Online app? I am assuming that that rank is the average of all of your ranks. But anyways, this is actually almost completely wrong. They test your power with 7 matches, and then find which power is best for you. Then it adjusts. The reason they don’t take Rank power is because, that is a different mode. Weapons that are good at rank might not be good at regular...and I am saying this because people like to main weapons that might be good in ranked (because that is all they play) but might be horrible in regular. But I bet they use your rank to figure out the area they should test you in.

Inkling kirby

Semi-Pro Squid
What happens if you don’t have the Nintendo Switch Online app? I am assuming that that rank is the average of all of your ranks.
The rank displayed in the app is just the highest rank you have in any mode. That's the one he's talking about I think.

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
I thought the same during the chicken/egg Splatfest until I went to the Splatnet app and saw that my team wasn’t actually doing terrible. Despite losing games, most of my teammates had a decent amount of ink coverage. The other team just so happen to edge us out sometimes. It took forever to reach Chicken Queen because I think everyone plays their best during Splatfest opposed to regular turf war. This splatfest with baseball/soccer went so smooth. I reached Baseball Queen in no time

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
It's a hit and miss between it, sometime you get crappy team members who are 40+ levels above you, 80 or 90 in my case.
But that usually means that some of them might barely play turf wars at all and get themselves destroyed and leave the rest of his team exposed.
However one thing i do know, is that it NEVER puts you on a team of EQUAL power level all it does is searching for four random members, mush them together calculate the power level, then it finds opposing team of between 100- points or 100+ compared to your own score.

In other words, the battle system for Splatfest is very messed up, yeah... but you win some and you lose some...
Its probably for both teams anyway. :p

windfulnes

Inkling
NNID
StarNitros
Switch Friend Code
SW-3366-8774-4694
it's not how much turf you cover, you must not play ranked. It's a judgement of skill amongst a team. They use that to attempt match making

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
It's a hit and miss between it, sometime you get crappy team members who are 40+ levels above you, 80 or 90 in my case.
But that usually means that some of them might barely play turf wars at all and get themselves destroyed and leave the rest of his team exposed.
However one thing i do know, is that it NEVER puts you on a team of EQUAL power level all it does is searching for four random members, mush them together calculate the power level, then it finds opposing team of between 100- points or 100+ compared to your own score.

In other words, the battle system for Splatfest is very messed up, yeah... but you win some and you lose some...
Its probably for both teams anyway. :p
The problem I have is that whenever you get a person who is a fanboy/girl or fiend they are almost always are going through testing, so you could get an actual 1400 in a 1900 match...which is annoying...

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
it's not how much turf you cover, you must not play ranked. It's a judgement of skill amongst a team. They use that to attempt match making
It's not even that, it's pretty much this quote below me.

The problem I have is that whenever you get a person who is a fanboy/girl or fiend they are almost always are going through testing, so you could get an actual 1400 in a 1900 match...which is annoying...
Four players + their score / 4 = total sum of points in your next game
Which you will be matched most likely equally by the opposing team, hit or miss by at least 50 or 100 points.
So yeah the matching system isn't that exactly great, but i see no way of improving it as if you were to be set equally with other players, you might spend more time waiting than playing games.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
It's not even that, it's pretty much this quote below me.

Four players + their score / 4 = total sum of points in your next game
Which you will be matched most likely equally by the opposing team, hit or miss by at least 50 or 100 points.
So yeah the matching system isn't that exactly great, but i see no way of improving it as if you were to be set equally with other players, you might spend more time waiting than playing games.
No I mean they are testing to find their score...so in reality they could be 1400, but the game doesn’t know that yet, because they are being tested, which means they can go into a lot higher power games

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
No I mean they are testing to find their score...so in reality they could be 1400, but the game doesn’t know that yet, because they are being tested, which means they can go into a lot higher power games
It starts off at 1000 points, the first five matches you win are definitely 200p each give or take a few points more or less, cause everytime i do splatfest or a league match, if i win at least 5 matches, the points usually end up around 1900 or 2000p range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom