• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatfest World Premiere Discussion

Cake or Ice Cream? Rock or Pop?

• Cake/Rock

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Ice Cream/Pop

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Cake/Pop

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Ice Cream/Rock

Votes: 27 50.0%
  • Cake/Undecided

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Ice Cream/Undecided

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Undecided/Rock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided/Pop

• Totally/Undecided

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Seeing as we don't have a dedicated thread for the pre-release Splatfests (and as late as the day before!), I thought it was only fair to make one.

Just to recap:
  • The Splatfest themes are:
    • Cake vs. Ice Cream for North America, Europe and Oceania; and
    • Rock vs. Pop for Japan.
  • The times for each are (at least according to Inkipedia):
    • JP: 7/15, 5:00 - 9:00 PM JST (=8:00 AM - 12:00 PM UTC)
    • NA: 7/15, 3:00 - 7:00 PM PDT (=10:00 PM - 7/16 2:00 AM UTC)
    • EU: 7/15, 6:00 - 10:00 PM CEST (=4:00 - 8:00 PM UTC)
    • OC: 7/16, 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM AEST (=10:00 PM - 7/16 2:00 AM UTC--same timeframe as NA, hence OC getting its own section separate from Europe.)
  • There are now only two Splatfest stages, but they are rotated at the halfway point. So far, it's been confirmed that Japan and Europe will have Starfish Mainstage and Inkblot Art Academy first, then Humpback Pump Track and ImMorally Towers. I'm waiting on the official Tumblr to confirm if North America and Oceania will also get those stages in this particular order, but it's quite likely anyway.
  • Once again, we will need to wear Splatfest Tees to battle. This time, however, they come with Ability Doubler as a main ability. In fact, it's been confirmed that Ability Doubler will be exclusive to the Splatfest Tee. Makes me think that Annie won't touch it for fear of risking SquidForce's wrath.
Feel free to discuss and express all the hype you can muster!

Last edited:

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
I can't wait but at the same time, I feel I'm going to be feeling like a half unfresh squid when it comes to getting used to the new roller gimmicks. I'm going to be a mess on the turf, come this splatfest tommorow....

I hope I'm not the only one feeling that way, RIP me otherwise. Regardless, my excitement is beginning to build up. *Waves a green little flag* Team Ice Cream or bust!

OogieBoogie

Pro Squid
NNID
MrOogieBoogie
Ice cream and rock!!! I have a feeling pop will win in Japan (I wonder why they run different splat fests in the first place?) but I have little worry that ice cream will take it state side ^_^ I am soooooo excited for this up coming splat fest. I can only imagine my profound sadness when it boots me out and I can't play splatoon 2 for almost another week ='(

P-Kong

Full Squid
Cake/Rock representative here! ;)
I chose the teams my smaller brother didn't and Pearl already grew on me.

And you can eat cake at any season and there's more diversity than with ice cream, so there's that.
While I don't hate Pop, there are more pop songs I actively despise than anything that rock offers, even if latter is slightly too rough for my taste.
My former point still stands, though :P

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Yeah it'll probably take a while to get used to the vertical flick, but it should be well worth the effort! Also Pop n Ice Cream ftw!

Coleo&Idea

Inkling Cadet
I'm a Cake-Pop here!
( haha, cake-pops, you know what that is )

Playing on the Music-Splatfest first (and trying to find out what all those symbols mean... ) then followed by the Dessert-Splatfest.
I won't play until King/Queen, I just want to try all weapons and get used to the controls. And maybe join some squidparties.

There is no Splatfest-Power and the matches won't be balanced (not to forget we don't get rewards), so no need to go hardcore :)

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I'm on wireless and I did have some random disconnects, but otherwise it worked pretty darn well overall. My main issue was after reaching 2000 splatfest power I had a hard time getting into games as the lobby would take forever to fill with frequent timeouts. Also played against my own team a ton.

Still had a blast though! Love the Dualies even though my dodge rolling proficiency is lacking, and the vertical flick is so useful!

Coleo&Idea

Inkling Cadet
The results of 'Rock Vs Pop Japan Edition' are out soon and I had my fun playing. Need to get used to the new roller flick (it always goes vertical when you jump and flick) and the dualies dash (press B while you shoot). But the flick is very useful to get those jetpack users (special weapon) out of the air, haha!

Oh and there seems to be an actual Splatfest-Power-Ranking: You have to play 7 matches and then you get a Splatfest-Power. I had something around 17xx.
I did 7 matches and had only 1 mirror match (Team Pop).

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Always wired. Maybe I'll try handheld but I know my wifi in my room is not great because of positioning.
I'm on wireless and I did have some random disconnects, but otherwise it worked pretty darn well overall. My main issue was after reaching 2000 splatfest power I had a hard time getting into games as the lobby would take forever to fill with frequent timeouts. Also played against my own team a ton.

Still had a blast though! Love the Dualies even though my dodge rolling proficiency is lacking, and the vertical flick is so useful!
Thanks for the info, both of you! I will likely play wireless so fingers crossed. Nice to hear the vertical flick on the roller is so good also. I'm going to have a blast with that come later today!

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Now that is an interesting way to work with Splatfest results. No need to sum up the percentage points or anything; just count how many times one team got more than the other. At the very least, I'll have an easier time working on the scorecard.

Also, heck yeah WE WILL WE WILL ROCK YOU! (not that I actually participated in this one, but a sweet victory for best music nonetheless.)

Coleo&Idea

Inkling Cadet
Awww, no win for Pop this time - again :o
I can't read japanese but what I think the categories mean:

Popularity: 52% - 48%
Players who played alone: 48% - 52%
Players who played in a group: 51% - 49%
And in the end its 2 - 1

People who can read japanese, please tell us if this is true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom