• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon’s Multiplayer Rules Aren’t Customizable

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
With a competitive Splatoon community obviously around the corner, there would obviously be private matches online or locally (if possible) to have these matches. Rulesets would normally be in place for these tournaments, but you apparently can't change Splatoon's rules at all. How is this going to affect tournaments? Does it matter at all?

This honestly bothers me, since even Smash has customizable rules! I'm starting to worry greatly about this game's competitive scene and even just casual scene if we can't even have simple things like that. Does anyone know what we are going to do about this for Splatoon's competitive scene if necessary?

[Source]

EDIT: The direct changed everything. We will be able to customize multiplayer rules! ....In August. :confused:

Last edited:
Reactions: Nia

Lyn

Premium
Im thinking in the end, they may change it via updates, or we will have to stick with the games rules.
I'm really hoping they update it. Non-customizable rules sounds very dangerous, especially if you want a community that will keep playing your game.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
I think in order for this game to be perfect, they need to add Parental Controls, so we can have voice chat. Customizable rules, for tournament play. And customizable controls, so everyone can be confortable.
I have been actively trying to get other nintendo gamers to see voice chat isn't evil and it would be great for this game. Friends only vc is a win win option for everyone imo. Fans have to speak up to get the devs to give the updates needed.

Lyn

Premium
I have been actively trying to get other nintendo gamers to see voice chat isn't evil and it would be great for this game. Friends only vc is a win win option for everyone imo. Fans have to speak up to get the devs to give the updates needed.
I agree definitely.

pixelatedcody

[S+99] Octoshot {AKA Pixel]
NNID
cncody
I loved the party system that the other consoles have. Invite who you want to chat. and never hear the annoying garbage that is spewed in game chat ever again.

I mean nintendo could at least have included some form of chat similar to this. (but then again...if we all used the Gamepad mic....We'd all sound like we are underwater...which ironically would work...because Squids.) :cool:

Xeiros

Senior Squid
I honestly don't care. There's any rules I would ever want changed from their defaults. Oh no! I can't have three hour long Turf War endurance matches. How awful! The Clothing and weapon set thus perks as well decision making process is on you before the match starts. What exactly is so important you feel you need to modify it in order to enjoy the game? I mean be specific. We have to be able to modify X because if not then Y will surely occur!

Xeiros

Senior Squid
So the only specific detail you could come up with is Time? The same one I poked fun at? You honestly think 3 minutes is too long? That's Turf Wars. The Non-ranked mode. Splat Zones on the other hand because of the mechanics of the game mode itself works cannot have a set time limit. That's the beauty of it. In a Splat Zones match with two skilled teams, can last much longer. Only by dominating the other team can you end it quickly. You have to earn your victory through attrition. It's designed so the other team can make a comeback. That wouldn't be possible if you could simply restrict so whoever was leading at when X minutes were up was the winner.

Starbound

Inkling
What rules need to be changed though? Lives don't matter due to the nature of the game, which doesn't emphasize killing the opposition.

Tournament rules can adapt to the nature of the game. What works in one shooter might not work in Splatoon. Players have adapted in the Smash Bros. scene to accommodate for the differences between the games and this is really no different.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
With a competitive Splatoon community obviously around the corner, there would obviously be private matches online or locally (if possible) to have these matches. Rulesets would normally be in place for these tournaments, but you apparently can't change Splatoon's rules at all. How is this going to affect tournaments? Does it matter at all?

This honestly bothers me, since even Smash has customizable rules! I'm starting to worry greatly about this game's competitive scene and even just casual scene if we can't even have simple things like that. Does anyone know what we are going to do about this for Splatoon's competitive scene if necessary?

[Source]
Well if the time is too little. Then we could make sets of Bo3 of Bo5, etc. Idk, I feel like we could come up with someway to make the non-changeable rules ok.
But we'll see when it comes out
edit: basically what starbound said

I loved the party system that the other consoles have. Invite who you want to chat. and never hear the annoying garbage that is spewed in game chat ever again.

I mean nintendo could at least have included some form of chat similar to this. (but then again...if we all used the Gamepad mic....We'd all sound like we are underwater...which ironically would work...because Squids.) :cool:
WAIT?!?! You mean to tell me that there is a system where ppl get invited to voice chat, and ppl could just deny it if they didn't want to hear?! Why...wasn't...this...implemented T.T

Reactions: Nia

Invis

Inkling
NNID
InvincibleForce
Where is it confirmed that there will be absolutely no customizable rules? Did Nintendo say it somewhere in an article?

Lyn

Premium
Where is it confirmed that there will be absolutely no customizable rules? Did Nintendo say it somewhere in an article?
It's been confirmed, I left a Source at the bottom of OP. Unfortunately.

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
Isn't there a time limit in ranked Splat Zones matches? I recall seeing 5 minute time limit. But even if we are not able to customize the ruleset of private lobbies (if we have such a wonderful thing) it shouldn't be too ground breaking as long as the rules are consistant. Like if the private matches can have the same exact ruleset as in ranked matches, teams can still practise without an issue and people should be able to learn them fairly easily. But yes, I agree that having customisable rules would still be wonderful.

Reactions: Lyn

Raethien

Inkster Jr.
I honestly don't care. There's any rules I would ever want changed from their defaults. Oh no! I can't have three hour long Turf War endurance matches. How awful! The Clothing and weapon set thus perks as well decision making process is on you before the match starts. What exactly is so important you feel you need to modify it in order to enjoy the game? I mean be specific. We have to be able to modify X because if not then Y will surely occur!
Lets put it in the terms of smash, If we are not able to pick different game modes, all we had was time, and items on, the competitive scene would not play the game, thus leaving the game quite barren.The option to change rules and customize it to whatever we want is the best part about smash, there is many many ways to play.

This is why people are worried about Splatoon. If it forces us to play one way, every time, a lot of people will not play the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom