• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon’s Multiplayer Rules Aren’t Customizable

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Lets put it in the terms of smash, If we are not able to pick different game modes, all we had was time, and items on, the competitive scene would not play the game, thus leaving the game quite barren.The option to change rules and customize it to whatever we want is the best part about smash, there is many many ways to play.

This is why people are worried about Splatoon. If it forces us to play one way, every time, a lot of people will not play the game.
Thank you. This is exactly what i've been thinking, i've not really been able to put it into words. :)

Invis

Inkling
NNID
InvincibleForce
It's been confirmed, I left a Source at the bottom of OP. Unfortunately.
Thanks! The default color scheme made the link nearly invisible. >.<

I don't think that the lack of match options is going to be a huge problem. Just like many other shooters, the competitive gamemodes are usually just the main mode of the game with some slight modifications. Even if they don't make a specific match type for competitive play that you can pick in a private match, the community will just work with what they got.

As long as the gameplay is as good as people think, the competitive community will surely make it work.

Starbound

Inkling
Lets put it in the terms of smash, If we are not able to pick different game modes, all we had was time, and items on, the competitive scene would not play the game, thus leaving the game quite barren.The option to change rules and customize it to whatever we want is the best part about smash, there is many many ways to play.
While you're right, this isn't a fair comparison. A better comparison would be if Turf War was the only mode in the game.

Out of curiosity, what are the custom rules people are wanting? I've never played an online shooter so I don't know what kind of things you guys are wanting.

Lyn

Premium
As long as the gameplay is as good as people think, the competitive community will surely make it work.
Hopefully. Pretty much every shooter has these basic things, though. I'm not sure how long this game will last even casually if there's no voice chat or custom games, custom games are fun for casual play, too. That's how Halo lasts so long.

Reactions: Nia

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
How the information is worded in the source, it really makes me think that you can choose the game mode AND that you can play with your friends in a custom lobby.

Unlike Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, you can't customize the match rules even when you play online only with your friends
And if you read few comments near the top, someone actually told that they reformated the original text because it was misleading. The original lead to think that you can't even choose the game mode you want to play in a private lobby but they changed it to make you think that you can't change the default rules for the different game modes.

Lyn

Premium
How the information is worded in the source, it really makes me think that you can choose the game mode AND that you can play with your friends in a custom lobby.
I'm not so sure but I'm hoping you're right.

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
I'm not so sure but I'm hoping you're right.
I hope so too xD Maybe Im overly positive about this thing. Maybe I just dont want to think that Nintendo manages to make the competitive scene impossible to get grip on Splatoon. I just think that competitive play in Splatoon would fit in the game so well! I dont want to see it wither down right away due the lack of supportive features!

Lyn

Premium
I hope so too xD Maybe Im overly positive about this thing. Maybe I just dont want to think that Nintendo manages to make the competitive scene impossible to get grip on Splatoon. I just think that competitive play in Splatoon would fit in the game so well! I dont want to see it wither down right away due the lack of supportive features!
We'll see what Nintendo has up their sleeves. They showed off the 50 facts thing right as I was losing hype for Smash Wii U, so who knows what they'll do here.

Nibroc

rasutosutāman
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
Here's hoping to the developers being open to suggestions for changes post-launch. As long as we have a community-driven effort to share suggestions to Nintendo for the most-requested features, hopefully the big N will listen.

Reactions: Lyn

Mithical1

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mithrandir37
I think it's important to support this game despite any shortcomings it may have. We all see the huge potential of this game and the only way for this franchise to flourish is if we buy the game, play the game, share what we think should be added or improved, and get other people to do the same. If everybody complains and nobody buys it, there will be no chance for a sequel or dlc improvements and nobody will be happy. If everybody supports this game while still voicing it's faults, the franchise will develop and everybody will be happy. All this hoopla about no customization yet we don't even know if the base gameplay NEEDS any customizing. We need to play the game and find out what it needs before we start making demands that may unnecessarily cost extra development time.

proxibomb

Inkling
Nintendo could possibly change this due to fan demand. This is an absolute downgrade compared to what Nintendo has done before, especially with Mario Kart and Smash Bros, so they just have to change it.

Lyn

Premium
Nintendo could possibly change this due to fan demand. This is an absolute downgrade compared to what Nintendo has done before, especially with Mario Kart and Smash Bros, so they just have to change it.
Let's hope you're right, if they see how important this is maybe they'll change their mind. Probably post-release if at all, unfortunately.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
well that's too bad :/

i don't think it's going to have a huge substantial impact on the game, but being able to set custom rules like a longer or shorter time limit, or how many splat zones are in the map, or whatever else would be great in helping the competitive longevity of the game (being able to shake up the meta.) hopefully they either patch it in or we can survive without it

iDaylon

Inkling Cadet
I'm assuming the competitive community will find a way around it. Surely the lack of customizable rules shouldn't pose too much of a problem.

AEM

The Saltsui no Hadou
It is odd though, that the game's multiplayer seems very limited. Hopefully this isn't nearly as bad for the game as it seems, a (assumingly) free update adding customization to the modes would be super nice at some point.

I think they'd have to produce more content, if you noticed how big the game's memory data is, it doesn't feel as much as other Wii U titles, so with that said, we could be getting alot more content in the future, and if I'm right, there's a chance this game will last longer than half a year.

Lyn

Premium
I think they'd have to produce more content, if you noticed how big the game's memory data is, it doesn't feel as much as other Wii U titles, so with that said, we could be getting alot more content in the future, and if I'm right, there's a chance this game will last longer than half a year.
I think it'll last longer than that anyway.. well.. maybe not. But we can hope so?

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
tf2 was around 2gb at launch too, just like splatoon. they didn't start the whole hats thing around early 2010, if i recall correctly, so it was around 2gb for 3 years and it had a perfectly healthy and active playerbase. i'm not concerned about the longevity of splatoon just based on its file size. not to mention they're already talking about post release support, and i do hope that private games and custom rules are a part of that

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom