• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon’s Multiplayer Rules Aren’t Customizable

Madame Coleen

Inkster Jr.
I'm not exactly panicking about no customizable modes yet since there's not much I can see that seems that detrimental to a competitive scene.
And the comparisons to Smash feel a bit hyperbolic to me. Nothing appears as extreme as items are to Smash, but we'll see I guess.

tf2 was around 2gb at launch too, just like splatoon. they didn't start the whole hats thing around early 2010, if i recall correctly, so it was around 2gb for 3 years and it had a perfectly healthy and active playerbase. i'm not concerned about the longevity of splatoon just based on its file size. not to mention they're already talking about post release support, and i do hope that private games and custom rules are a part of that
I may have made an understatement when I said that Splatoon wouldn't have a long life in gaming when I spoke about the file size. But seeing as tf2 was around 2gb, and now it's really grown into this thing it is today, you've given me some new found hope for the game. My concern was if Splatoon would have more content in it's future, and I can see that I have been given my answer, so I'm satisfied with the results, and now all that's left to do in my opinion is wait and see if we'll be getting custom settings and the likes.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I may have made an understatement when I said that Splatoon wouldn't have a long life in gaming when I spoke about the file size. But seeing as tf2 was around 2gb, and now it's really grown into this thing it is today, you've given me some new found hope for the game. My concern was if Splatoon would have more content in it's future, and I can see that I have been given my answer, so I'm satisfied with the results, and now all that's left to do in my opinion is wait and see if we'll be getting custom settings and the likes.
I think it's very possible for Splatoon to grow just like TF2 did, I'd be very happy about it, too. I just don't think it'll have as much room for growth since it's on a console which will be replaced in a few years.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
I think it's very possible for Splatoon to grow just like TF2 did, I'd be very happy about it, too. I just don't think it'll have as much room for growth since it's on a console which will be replaced in a few years.
i agree that it probably won't have live for 8 years and god knows how much longer like tf2 has, but i don't think it's gonna die off in a year. if anything it'll only keep growing and growing as its reputation increases and more content is added to the game (either free or paid)

I agree, with Nintendo already having plans for a system dubbed "NX" too. Splatoon may be forced to have not as long as a life, if it is made obsolete due to the NX. However it should still live a decent amount of years.

Reactions: Lyn

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
I agree, with Nintendo already having plans for a system dubbed "NX" too."
well hey, pokemon games on the ds kept on trucking until nintendo shut down WFC for the wii and ds. hopefully, splatoon will live until they shut down the servers for splatoon or until splatoon 2 comes out (assuming it even does)

well hey, pokemon games on the ds kept on trucking until nintendo shut down WFC for the wii and ds. hopefully, splatoon will live until they shut down the servers for splatoon or until splatoon 2 comes out (assuming it even does)
Rumor has it that Nintendo plans to bring the Splatoon IP into more stuff in the future, I hope that it does happen.

Lyn

Premium
Maybe. If Splatoon is good there will definitely be a 2nd. But after NX comes out Splatoon will basically die, unfortunately.

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
After being in a lot of fledgling competitive communities, one of the main thing that gets more support for competitive functionality and mechanics is a shown interest. I mean we're showing interest here for sure but I think if they're not already aware of the desire for competitive play then we definitely need to make them aware of it. However definitely don't loose hope, after reading quite a few interviews it seems the guys over on the dev team only planned it to be a more casual game however that doesn't mean they wouldn't be open to a more hardcore fanbase at all as far as I can see, I think it's simply the devs underestimating the reception of their game honestly.

While it's only a console game, the WiiU has a good few years left in it as far I can see and I know of many games that lasted long after they stopped being officially supported. Really it's all down to how determined the community is on the matter. I know of games that have no custom lobbies and random matchmaking that still have tournaments simply because the players are that dedicated.

And hopefully if a Splatoon 2 comes around then a shown interest during the first game may prompt the devs to include more competitive functionality.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Maybe. If Splatoon is good there will definitely be a 2nd. But after NX comes out Splatoon will basically die, unfortunately.
eh, i disagree. most users will have already moved on to another game before the NX's release, and serious splatoon players (competitive or just diehard fans) will continue to play the game regardless of the NX's release, at least until a hypothetical splatoon 2

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
I agree, with Nintendo already having plans for a system dubbed "NX" too. Splatoon may be forced to have not as long as a life, if it is made obsolete due to the NX. However it should still live a decent amount of years.
As far as I've heard we don't know for sure that the NX is going to replace the Wii U or anything, from how they've been talking about it it kind of sounds like it's something else entirely, or at least not a strict upgrade. Who knows though.

Lyn

Premium
As far as I've heard we don't know for sure that the NX is going to replace the Wii U or anything, from how they've been talking about it it kind of sounds like it's something else entirely, or at least not a strict upgrade. Who knows though.
That sounds.. weird. They aren't very clear on all that.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
That sounds.. weird. They aren't very clear on all that.
Yeah it's very up in the air right now and we don't have much to go on. It'd be neat if it were an oculus rift type device or something, they did say it was something brand new (but so was the wii and wii u and ds and 3ds, nintendo loves to do the big innovations).

Lyn

Premium
Yeah it's very up in the air right now and we don't have much to go on. It'd be neat if it were an oculus rift type device or something, they did say it was something brand new (but so was the wii and wii u and ds and 3ds, nintendo loves to do the big innovations).
We'll see. I've got my fingers crossed for something great!

HaDeeZ

Senior Squid
I mean it all depend on how interested and committed the competitive community is; while it will be a lot harder to grow after the new console release, assuming there is no sequel on said console, there no reason the community wouldnt be ale to keep the game alive.

Lyn

Premium
I mean it all depend on how interested and committed the competitive community is; while it will be a lot harder to grow after the new console release, assuming there is no sequel on said console, there no reason the community wouldnt be ale to keep the game alive.
True. Let's see how far we can get, as a community.

Nibroc

rasutosutāman
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
I think they'd have to produce more content, if you noticed how big the game's memory data is, it doesn't feel as much as other Wii U titles, so with that said, we could be getting alot more content in the future, and if I'm right, there's a chance this game will last longer than half a year.
File size doesn't always mean a smaller game. For example, Super Mario 3D World clocks in at 1702MB, which is impressive considering how much content is there. Nintendo has always been the master of file compression. However in the opposite spectrum there is Sonic Lost World, which takes up a staggering 8475MB.

Lyn

Premium
File size doesn't always mean a smaller game. For example, Super Mario 3D World clocks in at 1702MB, which is impressive considering how much content is there. Nintendo has always been the master of file compression. However in the opposite spectrum there is Sonic Lost World, which takes up a staggering 8475MB.
This is true. I'm sure the file size is just good compression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom