• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 Splatoon 2 as a major esport

Status
Not open for further replies.

(X)

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4542-4584-1904
I’m very happy Nintendo is finally putting serious effort into the esport scene, the reveal for the Nintendo switch made clear they see splatoon 2 at the forefront of their efforts into the esports world, there are many things that need to happen , but here’s a few that come to mind

1) direct funding- Nintendo needs to set up directly competitions for the sport and not rely on third parties to do so on their own, at least until it generates a big enough audience. G5 had about 40,000 viewers (very low compared to the others) if there were bigger prize pools it would attract more players and a bigger audience

2) new blood- I really love set to destroy x, they are so good at this game it’s unbelivable, but it’s very unhealthy for one team to just dominate every lan, takes away from the spectacle, the audience reactions to every loss they have make clear there needs to be an upset against them, baseball suffered a ratings decline because of teams like the Yankees winning all the time, an underdog victory would generate a lot of buzz in the community

3) a Michael Jordan - there needs to be one player that breaks records that we’re once thought to be impossible. A player that can top 3,000 points in turf war and gain the most splats in a game (40-50) would give the franchise the superstar they need to build around, you cannot be a major sport if you do not have record breaking superstars .

4) advertisers&sponsors- since these companies slap their logos and products wherever they can, it’s insane more aren’t taking advantage of marketing their useless stuff to gamers. Gamers are people too and can be advertised to, hopefully some marketing wiz can convince some major companies to sponsor competitions so that the sport gets funding and they get advertising. I see splatoon 2 and esports in general easily surpassing the popularity of a sport like skateboarding

5) promotion - with the incredibly diverse crowd the game attracts, and the increadible content that some of its players create, we need to coordinate an enormous social media promotion campaign so that people who don’t even own splatoon 2 will be so fascinated by the campaign they will tune in just to see what it’s all about. Think online banksys . Hopefully someday it can become a top trending topic on twitter

6) worldwide inkling invitations- what Nintendo did at e3 was amazing, and they need to make than an annual event and make it happen once or twice a year. Allowing a forum for worldwide players would certainly enhance the noise the game makes around competition time

Splatoon 2 can easily be one of the top 3 esports in the world. The reason I’m so fixated on getting 50 splats. Is because it’s going to take way more than what we are currently seeing to build the noise the game needs to be a major esport. A lot of people hate on that goal and try to steer me into more moderate ambitions, but the fact of the matter is, if I listen to their advice splatoon 2 will continue to rank near the bottom of all of esports in terms of viewing audiences and prize pools, obviously what we are seeing now, even from the best in the game, have not put splatoon anywhere near its capabilities

I’ve accomplished the 3,000 in turf war and will soon accomplish a 4,000 score ( last score was 3,500 in splatfest) I’ll post videos and hopefully it creates a lot of buzz

I started my journey in ranked in February, and I am very confident I can top 40 splats soon, with the eventual goal of 50 splats. Everyone simply says this is impossible, as most people say with topping 3,000 points, I’ve told hungrybox that I will make splatoon 2 what he made smash bros into, and he was so inspired by my letter to him he told me he believes in me 100% and to go for it

I’m not trying to be a snob, I know I can be the greatest ever, I have the heart and the focus for it. I’m the only player in the world that spent the first 1,000 hours in turf war, because if I am to be the Michael Jordan we need, I wanted to make sure I was the best in everything , including turf. Every single splatoon 2 player is better than me at life, so I don’t mind calling myself the best in the game

Someone is going to need to step up and break records and try to make all of the above happen, and I’m going to do everything I can to ensure splatoon 2 is the biggest and most grand esport in the world, I’m not spit right now, but hopefully when it’s all said and done, I’ll have the whole community’s praise and respect

I can’t do this alone, we’re all in this together, let’s do everything we can to ensure that when splatoon 3 comes out, we’ve made it into the biggest esport ever. Nintendo deserves it, they are the OG’s of gaming

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
Yknow what, I could take the first few points, as overhyped as it may be, I could understand what you were talking about, and in an ideal world, splatoon 2 could really be a nice popular e sport.

Then, you made it about yourself, and I literally stopped caring.

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
3000+ points and 30+ splats in a single Turf round is patently impossible, unless you're the only player on your team and can somehow repeatedly splat the entire opposing team before they can begin playing, thereby leaving you to cover the entire stage....which you wouldn't be able to do if you're busy constantly splatting them the entire time.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Buddy, stop. Please stop, for the sake of your sanity. It's rare to see someone so idealistic about achieving their goals, and if you keep going, i can absolutely guarantee your dreams will get smashed into dust or you will pursue them to infinity. You're approaching your goals in a completely wrong way.

You are not the star player- we have those already: Dude, Sendou, Nikey, Silver, FLC and countless others have already earned the respect of us. We already have a competitive scene. It's not big, but it's there. You don't earn respect points by arbitrarily attaining goals such as getting 50 kills, inking 3000p of turf or playing a certain amount of hours in turf war. If you want to earn your title of a super-skilled player you actually have to start winning tournaments, to be able to compete with the very best Splatoon 2 has to offer. And even if you cannot be that, you can always just be gentle, friendly, helpful, humble and maybe funny and you'll be respected just as easily.
You've only made threads like these and never reached out or socialized with anyone else out here. That's because you're not here to make friends, you're here to make a name for yourself. You're here to pursue a goal that is going to be meaningless.

We don't have a Michael Jordan, and to be frank, neither do other games like Overwatch with a much larger competitive scene than ours. And neither do they or we need it. Splatoon 2 was never meant to be a major e-sports presence, nor does it have the potential to be what with it's 16 tickrate, a bland meta and little tournament support from Nintendo. It also gets overshadowed by the aforementioned Overwatch, and once SSB5 is released, that game will overshadow this game completely. Splatoon 2 is already on it's way out. And you know what- it's fine the way it is right now.

Please, i implore you, to stop and think just a little bit before you start committing to these far-fetched goals. Getting 50 kills in a single game doesn't earn you any long-lasting respect, it takes a lot of meaningless effort, and generally there are easier ways of accomplishing these goals.

You -do- have a lot of dedication to making this happen, but if you think and plan ahead instead of going full HAM at the first chance you'll get, you'll be able to put that passion to good and proper use. And that doesn't necessarily have to be able to do with Splatoon 2.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Buddy, stop. Please stop, for the sake of your sanity. It's rare to see someone so idealistic about achieving their goals, and if you keep going, i can absolutely guarantee your dreams will get smashed into dust or you will pursue them to infinity. You're approaching your goals in a completely wrong way.

You are not the star player- we have those already: Dude, Sendou, Nikey, Silver, FLC and countless others have already earned the respect of us. We already have a competitive scene. It's not big, but it's there. You don't earn respect points by arbitrarily attaining goals such as getting 50 kills, inking 3000p of turf or playing a certain amount of hours in turf war. If you want to earn your title of a super-skilled player you actually have to start winning tournaments, to be able to compete with the very best Splatoon 2 has to offer. And even if you cannot be that, you can always just be gentle, friendly, helpful, humble and maybe funny and you'll be respected just as easily.
You've only made threads like these and never reached out or socialized with anyone else out here. That's because you're not here to make friends, you're here to make a name for yourself. You're here to pursue a goal that is going to be meaningless.

We don't have a Michael Jordan, and to be frank, neither do other games like Overwatch with a much larger competitive scene than ours. And neither do they or we need it. Splatoon 2 was never meant to be a major e-sports presence, nor does it have the potential to be what with it's 16 tickrate, a bland meta and little tournament support from Nintendo. It also gets overshadowed by the aforementioned Overwatch, and once SSB5 is released, that game will overshadow this game completely. Splatoon 2 is already on it's way out. And you know what- it's fine the way it is right now.

Please, i implore you, to stop and think just a little bit before you start committing to these far-fetched goals. Getting 50 kills in a single game doesn't earn you any long-lasting respect, it takes a lot of meaningless effort, and generally there are easier ways of accomplishing these goals.

You -do- have a lot of dedication to making this happen, but if you think and plan ahead instead of going full HAM at the first chance you'll get, you'll be able to put that passion to good and proper use. And that doesn't necessarily have to be able to do with Splatoon 2.
I agree with all that you've said except about the competitive scene being "on its way out". The tickrate doesn't matter as much as people say it does. I'm no tech geek, but FLC brought up the topic in one of his blog posts, I encourage you to read it. The meta right now also isn't bland. After watching the Beacon LAN yesterday, I've seen teams run Carbons, Gloogas, Dualie Squelchers, Slosher Decos, Inkbrushes, Nzap 89s, and many more along with all weapons from the last meta. That definitely isn't bland. Also, speaking of LANs, those are also growing. I remember the viewers of the G5 LAN being in the 3,000's. That is about than twice as many as the 1,500 or so from the Squidstorm LAN a few months prior. I missed a lot of Beacon, so I don't know the numbers but I suspect them to be in the thousands as well. Yes, the scene is small, but it is most definitely growing. Nintendo also DOES, in fact, promote all major Splatoon tournaments on their Nintendo VS. twitter account. I would like to see them get a lot more involved, but this is pretty solid so far from a company who has been actively against competitive for the past 20 years.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
I agree with all that you've said except about the competitive scene being "on its way out".
I agree, I've never heard anything about this. However, the competitive scene is so small that it seems like it would be very hard to tell; it's like making inferences based off a sample size of ten. It wouldn't surprise me though; this game is starting to feel very monotonous, and although competitive play is much more interesting for much longer, I wouldn't be surprised if the game were starting to drag on others as well.

The tickrate doesn't matter as much as people say it does. I'm no tech geek, but FLC brought up the topic in one of his blog posts, I encourage you to read it.
Maybe not in an of itself, but coupled with P2P latency and 6 frames of input lag (twice that of Splatoon 1), you've got a very "unclean" environment to work with. If Overwatch can become an "esport" though, Mario Party can.

The meta right now also isn't bland. After watching the Beacon LAN yesterday, I've seen teams run Carbons, Gloogas, Dualie Squelchers, Slosher Decos, Inkbrushes, Nzap 89s, and many more along with all weapons from the last meta. That definitely isn't bland.
Now how many of these have you seen compared to all the Nzap 85s and Forge Splattershot Pros though? We should also look at weapon classes too, because weapons in the same class are often well, samey. You're not going to find a single Charger or Splatling; you'll only ever see someone use the Splat Brella from the Brella class, if even.
Nintendo also DOES, in fact, promote all major Splatoon tournaments on their Nintendo VS. twitter account.
They also "promote" Melee as well. The only people who are going to care about the stupid Nintendo VS. twitter are those who already follow the competitive scenes of these games. They don't host any tournaments, donate to any prize pools, or even just sponsor the damn things, but they seemed to have done their job if they can get people to believe they give a rat's *** whilst not putting forth any actual commitment.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
Don't listen to all the naysayers! Michael Jordon? Heck! You'll be like the Hulk Hogan of Splatoon! The developers should just program a special entrance for your character where he rips his shirt off and confetti flies wherever your character goes.

If you ever feel doubt about yourself, just remember a line Leonardo DiCaprio made in the Titanic! "I'm the king of the world!"

That's right. You're the king of the world, and all these naysayers are opposing you, the king. That's treason! A good king doesn't stand for treason! Execute all these naysayers with your godly Splatoon skills!

Last edited:

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
This again?
3000 points in turf? you must be practically soloing against the opponents for this, or hogging all the points for yourself, in a TEAM GAME?
BASED ON TEAM EFFORT.
50 Splats? Are you deliberately prolonging a ranked match to get that many splats?
Also Michael Jordan?

Also how long do you think your team will last, if one specific person is getting credit for a team oriented game to begin with?
Splat2 as an eSport will not last very long, with my previous statement in mind.

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
I bet this guy only plays Melee if he wants to play Smash.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I agree, I've never heard anything about this. However, the competitive scene is so small that it seems like it would be very hard to tell; it's like making inferences based off a sample size of ten. It wouldn't surprise me though; this game is starting to feel very monotonous, and although competitive play is much more interesting for much longer, I wouldn't be surprised if the game were starting to drag on others as well.

Maybe not in an of itself, but coupled with P2P latency and 6 frames of input lag (twice that of Splatoon 1), you've got a very "unclean" environment to work with. If Overwatch can become an "esport" though, Mario Party can.

Now how many of these have you seen compared to all the Nzap 85s and Forge Splattershot Pros though? We should also look at weapon classes too, because weapons in the same class are often well, samey. You're not going to find a single Charger or Splatling; you'll only ever see someone use the Splat Brella from the Brella class, if even.

They also "promote" Melee as well. The only people who are going to care about the stupid Nintendo VS. twitter are those who already follow the competitive scenes of these games. They don't host any tournaments, donate to any prize pools, or even just sponsor the damn things, but they seemed to have done their job if they can get people to believe they give a rat's *** whilst not putting forth any actual commitment.
I implore you to read this post from FLC: https://flc.imperious.ink/sequelitis/

I have also gone and rewatched the first hour of Beakon. Here are all the nonmeta weapons I have seen:
Slosher Deco
Heavy Splatling
Nzap 89
Dapple Dualies
Dapples Noveau
.52 Gal
.96 Gal
Dualie Squelchers
Emperry Dualies
Splash o Matic

Later in the tournament, we saw GamerAdvanced run Heavy, Mini, and Hydra and Brandon went with Flingza for a bit. Nile (one of my teammates) ran either Charger or Octobrush throughout the entire LAN. I haven't seen a Brella yet, but I'm sure it won't be long until I do.

The Nintendo VS account has over 60,000 followers and has posted nearly 20 posts in a row about Beakon. This is quite a decent amount of promotion for Nintendo. Like I said, I would very much like them to do a lot more, Something you've so strategically glossed over.

hAve a RAd dAy!

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Yeeeeah, this topic was a pretty bad idea.

I'll admit i was far too cynical about the tournament state of this game, I'll give it that. Nintendo's doing some pushing to the competitive aspect of this game, and honestly i wish the best for them for keeping a competitive scene around. But again, the next SSB will be released this year...

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Slosher Deco
Heavy Splatling
Nzap 89
Dapple Dualies
Dapples Noveau
.52 Gal
.96 Gal
Dualie Squelchers
Emperry Dualies
Splash o Matic
Slosher Deco and Heavy Splatling are meta as well as Dapples and .52 gal.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Ehhhhhhhh, they're on the rise. They are not meta, they've just been gaining popularity over the past week or so.
What's a game without a little surprise? That can be what steers a team to victory: the unexpectedness of someone successfully using a, say, Clash Blaster.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
What's a game without a little surprise? That can be what steers a team to victory: the unexpectedness of someone successfully using a, say, Clash Blaster.
Ok. Did somebody say the contrary?

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
He isn't the Raichu we deserve, but the Michael Jordan we need

I'm sorry. I'm so sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom