• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Splatoon 2 Basics: Conditioning

Was this helpful

• Total voters

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
For those playing at E3, newcomers, and vets like me I wanted to discuss a very important key in Splatoon 2
Conditioning
In Splatoon most moves you made we're very reactionary, and the meta consisted of rushdown tactics (Luna, carbon roller, dynamo, tetatek, and the occasional eliter) to gain coverage, build special, and pick off key enemies.
In Splatoon 2 however specials possessing less confirm potential, and more technical sub weapons and special players will have to learn to how to condition the battle.

Conditioning: planning attacks to force confrontation, separate enemies or allow allies to gain better positioning

Here are a few ways to condition the battle with the example octobrush, splateoller, and the dynamo

Dynamo: ink mines are a great way to read opponents, they force the person to move and now reveal locations. Using them you can for enemies into your flicks (or vice versa), or push enemies out of favorable position, like the ledges of moray so you may keep control. Stingray shows enemy positions, so use it to push enemies towards your allies, or towards previously placed mines while covering flanks with the 2nd online. Lastly, ink mines can force enemies into other ink mines though this will take practice.

Splat Roller: I mentioned earlier tech chasing with rollers, curling bombs are really great at forcing reactions. Players can either run, jump over it, or swim away, since most player fall into habits do to muscle memory. So using this you can study reactions if they jump you can vertical flick, if they swim or run you can use the rollers speed or horizontal flick. Lastly you can throw this into a crowd to force them closer and then use splashdown to catch them off guard.

Octobrush: This is a big change in the core octobrush usage, but for you Noveu version you might have better advice (please add to this) but here is my 2 cents.
Autobombs are not going to be easy to use, limited range, delayed explosion, and easy to spot. However hiding these behind corner or even in plain sight force player to be cautious or take different routes. If they do trigger it stay around the outside of the max range and then attack. You can also put this behind chargers so as they flee chaser Wil be force to deal with the autobomb and buy the charger time to run or attack.

Anyways here are some basic example of conditioning and some valuable uses of it as we approach the release of Splatoon 2

Last edited:

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
chasing with dollars,
you can use the dollars speed
..I assume you meant Roller? I sense a nasty little Auto-correct.

What a interesting read- Especially since I will be looking at all THREE of these weapons curiously...I do like your idea of causing a good enemy shuffle and precaution using the Autobombs. It may make sneaking up to enemies easier to achieve as they deal with the troublesome Autobombs, as I like to play sneaky with my brush weapons.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
..I assume you meant Roller? I sense a nasty little Auto-correct.

What a interesting read- Especially since I will be looking at all THREE of these weapons curiously...I do like your idea of causing a good enemy shuffle and precaution using the Autobombs. It may make sneaking up to enemies easier to achieve as they deal with the troublesome Autobombs, as I like to play sneaky with my brush weapons.
Lol yeah autocorrect, and thanks I have been analyzing how weapons would work with the new balance changes, plus I loves use the inkbrush with mines to setup attacks, and realized this is even more useful with the new octobrush

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
I loves use the inkbrush with mines to setup attacks
I play the same way with my :wst_roller_brushmini01: , hahah. Glad to see I'm not alone with that trap tactic! Hard to use (In Splatoon 1 at least), but ever so satisfying when pulled off.

Curiously, if the Dynamo does carry the same new vertical air flick as the regular rollers...what do you think that would bring in terms of new tactics? While not fully confirmed, the idea of a long range, heavy hitting narrow flick is intriguing...

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Vertical flick of the dynamo will be interesting it will force approaches from the side or the back so mines to cover those would be great, also vertical flicks are easy to read due to the slow speed so it is likely best to position this to force them away from safety and into teammates.
Or get the hardest of reads off an autobonb placement or and inkmine (which is likely way more satisfying)

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
vertical flicks are easy to read due to the slow speed so it is likely best to position this to force them away from safety and into teammates.

That
. Ive seen the flick speed of the Air flick with the Splat Roller...and that was a bit slow. So imagining with any Dynamo variant...even TEMPERED Dynamo Roller...Oof.

Sandwiching enemies in between yourself and your teammates however, sounds fun.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
Dude, I know you like using your dollars to roll out onto other players like a rich man you are, but can you stop being greedy for one second and consider how you effect the other classes? Not all of us can afford dollars as rollers, I cam calling out for discrimination! (Sorry, lol.)

I got something for sloshers:

Learn to dance around your opponent. Don't attempt to come at them from the front, but the side while angling your path of ink. This is sort of like strafing but always going at a crooked position. These leaves a open gap for you to gain enough momentum to dart away if you are getting too chaotic with your enemy.

Since that new sub came, that smoke cloud could be a nice addition to this tactic. You can take advantage of the smoke screen around the opposite team, and do the same dancing motion. But since this is kinda like a non-tri slosher, it works almost the same, but with a more longer stretch. I wouldn't try being too aggressive with it, but hurl from a distance. You can actually toss ink from bother sides, trapping them, while throwing at them head on.

Meh, I haven't been keeping up with the news so I am wondering if that is correct for the new slosher they came out with. Because I am not sure if it was equipped with that sub.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@ForteReborn
The new slosher had suction bombs with tenta missiles, this being said it makes this a great weapon to pair with the pro for smokescreening attacks or tentastrikes

Also
Splattershot Pro: This is the core definition of a weapon that excels at team support and conditioning.
The Posion Mist is probably one of the best tools at your disposal with this weapon but also your greatest weakness since it will leave your vulnerable soon after so zoning will be valuable.
This if use right can protect allies by throwing right in the center of your a By forcing enemies to retreat or risk losing speed and ink, force charger to retreat off their snipe.
It can be used to smokescreen, hiding specials, teammates, or even to mix up enemies on your positioning for attacks or retaking objectives (ex. Reposition on arrowanna mall ramp)
Lastly, Ink cloud special is a great for forcing enemies to retreat of course, but if you manage a flank you can force enemies straight into enemy fire, combo this with poison mist (in their other escape routes or into the direction they are heading) and you can easily pick off most of the enemy team.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
This if use right can protect allies by throwing right in the center of your a By forcing enemies to retreat or risk losing speed and ink, force charger to retreat off their snipe.
It can be used to smokescreen, hiding specials, teammates, or even to mix up enemies on your positioning for attacks or retaking objectives (ex. Reposition on arrowanna mall ramp)
Poison Mist is so versatile...hmmm.

It's a crap shoot, but maybe I'd test this Splattershot Pro out. Despite my terrible experiences with most Splattershots in the first game. Could be better suited this time around, perhaps?

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
@ForteReborn
The new slosher had suction bombs with tenta missiles, this being said it makes this a great weapon to pair with the pro for smokescreening attacks or tentastrikes
Ahhh, now that is a interesting combination. Because you can trap someone with a suction bomb, or make a easy distraction while you pelt them with your ink to make them go into it. This can also save you while leaving one behind while you trail ahead.

I also forgot to mention this too...Study hills, and slopes. They can be a good weak point for some weapons. Shooters are open when you are below them, and if you are above, rollers will hate it. That goes for trying recon and seeing how the maps is formatted.

Also people don't forget this: They are path makers, and this is the slosher that makes ends meet, get it?

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Poison Mist is so versatile...hmmm.

It's a crap shoot, but maybe I'd test this Splattershot Pro out. Despite my terrible experiences with most Splattershots in the first game. Could be better suited this time around, perhaps?
It will be very versatile, but I would recommend using it with a team that has coordination so it will thrive.
Again it is a great debuff support but it need someone to support it or else it will not have as much value, so solo queue at low ranks might not be the best place to start with this weapon.

@ForteReborn
Thanks for the great advice positioning is a core value in Splatoon and knowing how a map works will help you better know the map the better you can react.
:ability_recon: or watching ink paths can help you better know frequented paths, prior positions and choke points will help you better plan your route and better plan to set up favorable conditions as well as help allies get to more favorable positions

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
It will be very versatile, but I would recommend using it with a team that has coordination so it will thrive.
Again it is a great debuff support but it need someone to support it or else it will not have as much value, so solo queue at low ranks might not be the best place to start with this weapon.
And there's my problem, right there. Key point being "solo". I don't have any folks to turf with, So I'm always with random players. And we know how that can go- That along with my inexperience with the Splattershot series itself, made for this recent experience here. (To be fair, the gear used with it wasn't fine tuned. So I blame that on myself also).

I wonder how much coordination there will be upon release between players in teams for Splatoon 2, to be honest. Since at least a few of these tactics you had mentioned do rely on some assist splats or similar.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
I apologize been away from this too long (mainly due to all the hype. So to restart instead of look at weapons, I am going to look at subs/specials and how the weapons can effectively use them in battle.

Ink armor: One of the most useful support weapons in the game, as it grants shield to protect from 1 normal Splatling blow.
For those using this special conditioning is pretty hard, the best option is to counter specials a heavy push while launching a counter push.
Players with minimal dodge special especially (inkjets/tentamissles) should be armored up is someone priotizes them.
For enemies, try and force inkarmors, or juke out a team push to force enemies to waste their special on a useless counterattack.

Inkstorm: Great coverage with the risk ofSplatling foes trapped inside it for too long.This forces enemies to give up the area the cloud is moving in, making it great for gaining turf, pushing, or corner enemies caught off guard.
Also if this can be a protection/combo for inkjets, splash down (for extra coverage at the very end) and Baller since (other than chargers) most weapons won't be able to approach without risk of being splatted or stuck in enemy ink
For enemies, try to have long range to keep pressure without giving up ground, or using subs like mines, autobombs, splash walls, and curling bombs to force the other team to keep their distance.
Another tactic is to plan ahead with thermal ink to see where the other team is and make sure no one person is singled out in the oncoming attack (aka stay near, but not next to your team)

Tentamissles: covered this before but I love it, force a change in position of potential the whole enemy team is a very powerful tool.
Use this to force enemies out of a objective, or push charger out of their snipe to allow allies to push in and take out prority enemies, take the objective, or simply zone out the enemy team.
This combined with a sharking ally, or a well placed sub can lead to splatting enemies jumping off ledges
For enemies, try and keep near the spawn point or out of enemy fire, rush player to force them not to target the whole team, or use special like bomb rush or stingray to counter it.

Bubble blower: 3 bubbles that when shot by allies explode.
Honestly this is great weapon since all priority shifts to handling, run from this special or suffer the consequences, this can allow allies to pop the bubble and gain lots of turf.
Even better players with carbon rollers, ballers can sneak up on players who are focusing this and either go for a flank attack or grab the objective and run.
For enemies, go for a heavy flank and leave a rapid fire weapon/ charger to deal with the bubbles, it will force the team to deal with you and cause the special to go to waste

Last edited:

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Gasp let's continue this deep dive
Stingray, long range weapon with x-ray vision, this is the key of teamspeak weapons.
Without even firing you can callout enemy locations so allies can move in for flanks and position themselves in enemy blind spots, it can also force enemies into corner for enemies to splat, take out long ranged targets.
Condition enemies to run away and group close together and it can allows for a group attack special to wipe a team. This with the INKSTORM can again force enemies to a very small area of the map to take further advantage
Lastly allies will want to place subs like autobombs/inkmines nearby allies activating it to catch enemies off guard and protect you teammate
For enemies, this special has no mobility, so either rush them, use bomb rush or tentamissles or simply keep you distance from allies to prevent the other team from taking advantage.

Inkjet: again I covered this weapon previously but my goodness is this a fun but difficult weapon due to all the anti-air surrounding it.
This weapon benefits from coordination, so use it accordingly with inkstorms or other zoning weapons like poison mist . It has lots of range so you can use it from a distance to protect allies who are out in the open, force enemies to leave their position, or simply bait the team to come to you in order for your allies to launch a huge counterattack.
Lastly for the allies pay attention to where the special was launched and keep and eye out for greedy spawn camper who are waiting
For enemies, a whole team does NOT bring down this weapon any quicker have one person work on picking it off while the rest focus and more prying matters from a safe place.

Splashdown this one I have been having trouble with but the main thing I have learned is to bait enemies into this. Bombs can force enemies to run into the enemy and be splatted by it, it can punish people climbing ledges or on grates, or the greedy spawn campers. When used with other specials it can be more powerful as mentioned with previous special can lead to teamwipes. Plus sharking allies can attack those outside the blast zone as well
For enemies they are not invincible, and have a limited range, keep you distance and don't get cornered.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
2 specials left to analyze
BALLER!!!!- (still refuse to believe this is a name) but this special is great not only for flanks and attacking but as a panic bodysheild for allies in danger, it can deflect attacks or force enemies to back out of the blast radius and into your teams fire.
***personally I will try to force enemies to run away right into my teams roller :D
Allies can either restrict their movement with Inkstorm and poison mist, or combine bomb rushes or curling/suction bombs to help asisst in splatting opponents
For enemies, keep your distance, or push them back this is weapon cable of much disrespect so it is best to respect it's power.
Plan for a counter attack or bait them towards a well place bomb/mine for after the special ends

Bomb rush- not matter what form most players have used bomb rush before, and other than a holding mechanic for distance not much has changed. So I recommend shifting between distances by holding down the bomb button at different points mattering on how close they are to you.
Enemies, if you caught in the middle of this accept your death, for those outside keep your distance and either outrange or HAVE THE HIGH GROUND ANAKIN, to splat them with less risk of blowing up

when I analyze the sub weapons (after I get the game) then I will give more advice on this special

Last edited:

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Glad to see you do some more of this. I cant provide much response yet since I only played the Splatfest with the roller...but lets see.

Splashdown this one I have been having trouble with but the main thing I have learned is to bait enemies into this. Bombs can force enemies to run into the enemy and be splatted by it, it can punish people climbing ledges or on grates, or the greedy spawn campers. When used with other specials it can be more powerful as mentioned with previous special can lead to teamwipes. Plus sharking allies can attack those outside the blast zone as well
For enemies they are not invincible, and have a limited range, keep you distance and don't get cornered.
I agree that this is a tricky special to pull off successfully. Curling bomb's sometimes helped me with baiting as you noted with using bombs. But one other important thing helped- using it from higher ground, above your enemy. It helps with the element of surprise and gives them less of a chance to react and move out of the way in time. I had more successful splats this way than I did on the same ground as them, so it's a good mindset to have.

Tentamissles: covered this before but I love it, force a change in position of potential the whole enemy team is a very powerful tool.
Use this to force enemies out of a objective, or push charger out of their snipe to allow allies to push in and take out priority enemies, take the objective, or simply zone out the enemy team.
This combined with a sharking ally, or a well placed sub can lead to splatting enemies jumping off ledges
For enemies, try and keep near the spawn point or out of enemy fire, rush player to force them not to target the whole team, or use special like bomb rush or stingray to counter it.
While I didn't use this, I seen it action. It feels like a improved Inkstrike for me, as I treated Inkstrikes in a similar way- getting people out of hard to reach areas, causing them to scramble. It felt easier to dodge than a Instrike when being attacked by one, though...at least with me playing as a roller.

I'm excited to try the other specials when I get the game tomorrow, I'll certainly keep some of your ideas for them in mind.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Actually you know what I want you guys to tell me weapons you use or would like to learn.
I will tell you how to best condition yourself and make the matchups move favorable to you and your team

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
I'll bite. Since this was a rare but mentionable weapon for me to use in the first game....tell us about the :wst_shot_gravity00:, Would you? I just started using it and I'm getting used to the new kit. I'd like to see your opinions on it.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
I'll bite. Since this was a rare but mentionable weapon for me to use in the first game....tell us about the :wst_shot_gravity00:, Would you? I just started using it and I'm getting used to the new kit. I'd like to see your opinions on it.
Very well, in the original game the kit of the .52 gal focus on supression, using the kit along with the weapons power to hold a spot and initiate pushes.
The new kit however though now focuses on vorwd control and setting up opportunities rather than initiating them. (This is good to know if you had played it before)
Point sensors is a important, it's extended duration will allow you discover where enemies are moving. This is also extremely good cause you can watch enemies and analyze their movement/reactions, allowing you to predict their attacks. Make sure to prioritize this into groups of enemies so it will get the most value.
This also allows allies to see them and in certain circumstance forces player to retreat rather than risk a confrontation, making this good scaring people flanking, or in uneven matchups.

I explained baller before, but due to experience here are two more tips, this is a great wepon for instilling panic, and you can force player into corners if they aren't paying attention (or off cliffs:p). It is also a great punish to people jumping off ledges and will occasionally force them to take longer route to avoid this. Lastly cover walls ahead of time before using baller (don't use it in open areas unless there is a corner), this was they have no way to react when you do catch them off guard.
Gear I personally would recommend is sub/Ink efficentcy since this weapon and it's sub require lots of ink, also thermal ink or sub up again increasing usefulness of vision and further understanding enemy movements.
Hope you enjoy

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Point sensors is a important, it's extended duration will allow you discover where enemies are moving. This is also extremely good cause you can watch enemies and analyze their movement/reactions, allowing you to predict their attacks. Make sure to prioritize this into groups of enemies so it will get the most value.
Been getting into that habbit thankfully, thanks to the carbon rollers sub weapoon. I'm going to try nailing it more onto groups when I can though...
Lastly cover walls ahead of time before using baller (don't use it in open areas unless there is a corner), this was they have no way to react when you do catch them off guard.
I have the bad habbit of it of using it in open space- even when it apears no enemies are around (yet there could be)..wasnt aware about the inking the walls though. Hm. I'll set things up more frequently when using that special. Feels very trap-like which I can definitely get (or roll) behind.

Gear I personally would recommend is sub/Ink efficentcy since this weapon and it's sub require lots of ink, also thermal ink or sub up again increasing usefulness of vision and further understanding enemy movements.
Got the ink savers covered. But thermal ink? I didnt think of that before..and I can see the potential. Ill work that into my gear set.

Thanks for the tips- quick question though...im used to jump-shoot-swim movement with this weapon for the first game. Do you think that way of movement is still plausible (or ever was) for the gal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom