• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
The starting position of Inklings on the spawn point is also different. More of a "U" shape rather than the cross shape in the first game. Possibly to stop shot blocking and getting in other player's way at the start of the match?
Noted and added.

So, I have a quick question. In the trailer, I noticed one of the maps seemed to have a rock climbing area in the background. Is this "The Reef" Map or something else?
From what I can tell, nobody really answered this question (probably because there's no confirmed answer). But if you want my take on it, I think it's a different map, one of the two "Unnamed" ones that I have on the List. The other would be the map with the concert stage on it (as seen on the official boxart and in various portions of the trailer).

Last edited by a moderator:

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Oooooooh ye xD I saw that question, went to rewatch the treehouse, then forgot about it.^_^;

The stage people are playing on in the demo(with the bridge) IS "the reef", as they say in the treehouse demo.

On top of that there are two other brand new stages briefly shown in the trailer, the rock climbing place and the concert stage.

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Yup. We've got 3 new stages, one being The Reef, and Moray Towers with Inkrails. That's all we have for now.

I don't know why everyone seems to hate Moray Towers. It's not one of my favorites, but I don't think it's a terrible map. I actually usually do quite well on it. I actually just got back from a round on it in which I went 12-2 with a new weapon I just started trying out today. Wonder how the Inkrails will effect strategies on that map.

Slurmp

Pro Squid
NNID
HedgehogOverlord
Oooooooh ye xD I saw that question, went to rewatch the treehouse, then forgot about it.^_^;

The stage people are playing on in the demo(with the bridge) IS "the reef", as they say in the treehouse demo.

On top of that there are two other brand new stages briefly shown in the trailer, the rock climbing place and the concert stage.
Where can we see the treehouse?

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Where can we see the treehouse?
They are easy to searchon OOOOtube, here ya go! =P
<just Splatoon 2

<the Whole Kit'n'Kaboodle

The bit I'm referencing that confirms which map is the reef is at the start of the secoond match.
I won;t tell you the timestamp though, the whole thing is a good, mouth-watering teaser ;P

Cyan

Inkling Commander
You can probably take this with a pinch of salt, but over here GAME is listing Splatoon 2 as launching on the 18th August, 212 days from this post. I saw a thread here that mentioned NoA listing as 30th September but that isn't Summer and seems like a placeholder. I find this date seems to be more believable, but who knows, GAME has had this up for 4 days without removing the date, and the 18th seems a bit more believable than the usual placeholders of 31st December of the ETA year (or 31st of a month/season).

Of course if this is the release date then we'll be dangerously close to when the servers switch to being a subscription, which won't give people a lot of time to try the game out, especially if they do the same stunt as Splatoon 1 by leaving us with Turf War, opening Ranked when enough hit the Level 10 requirement and slowly releasing the on-disc/cartridge content before moving on to "true" DLC (as in actual content not on the game, Splatoon 1's DLC are the maps Flounder, Hammerhead, Museum, Mahi, Piranha and Ancho-V, weapons were Sheldon's Picks and the Sloshers/Splatlings, which were on disc but not finished and the Callie/Marie Amiibo).

It already looks like they'll be doing timed unlocks, which is nice for giving us reasons to come back and see the changes, but on the other hand sucks for those who'll get anywhere between 2-10 weeks before Nintendo lock off the online to try the game out and determine if it's worth it (although most people will buy the online if they bought the game, if this one is anything like 1 with little offline content). By all means add this to the OP if you want, because it gives us a rough approximation of when the game is due to launch, but so far we have no evidence to actually back up this claim from GAME.

upload_2017-1-17_15-8-10.png

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Thanks for the info., I'll add it to the post's description, since it doesn't fit any of the categories, along with the word "possible". This will be the only "rumor" that will be included in the post's description.

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Pretty sure that had a large part in it for all of us. That thing looks fresh as heck.

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Using the info from this (the info. that GameXplain said has been confirmed by Nintendo, that is), I've added a few more things to each list. Feel free to check out the original post for said additions.

Looking forward to it!

New games modes and a more detailed player and weapon history with in depth stats will give a lot of depth to the game. Those are my main wants.

Hoping the higher tier rollers power is reduced, it was literally broken at some stages with how ranged and unfairly devastating they were.

Splash

Full Squid
NNID
ChameoFive
Switch Friend Code
SW-3931-9636-2696
One thing I hope they really focus on improving in Spla2n over the original is to make the single-player campaign mode more interesting and less of a slog to play or to just outright remove it and focus more on the main game. While I enjoyed the bits of backstory behind the Sunken Scrolls, Octo Valley was by far the worst thing about Splatoon in my opinion because it was just a series of like 28 generic platforming challenges, in which each of them were hidden in the vast and empty overworld islands that were Octo Valley and you had to find them. These were really tedious to find at times and ultimately, the challenges were all just kinda super similar and lacked in variety. Not to mention the rewards for doing it were also kinda lackluster, just mediocre equipment and weapon re-skins, really only the Aerospray and Dynamo Roller were worth it. Also, most of the boss fights were just kinda meh in how they played out, though the final fight and Calamari Inkantation kinda owned.

Thankfully, the amiibo kinda fixed the problem I had with Octo Valley, in that you had to do things within specific guidelines or with specific weapons, but if they just did that kind of thing from the start, then I wouldn't of found Octo Valley as boring as it was to play.

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
I actually enjoyed Octo Valley. It wasn't the best part of the game, but wasn't really the worst either (in my opinion). It does need to be expanded and improved upon though. It wasn't too bad, but it wasn't the best. The Amiibo did add some replayability to it though, even though I do enjoy returning from time to time for no reason whatsoever.

Joasa

Depressed Squid
I'm really hoping for a better singleplayer. With the paid online thing they need to find a way to make the game playable even without online features due to the fact that there will be a lot of kids who won't be able to get the online subscription (or their parents won't let them).

I suggested this before, that I hope for a Super Mario Galaxy-esque story mode with challenges that can take like a half hour to complete with hidden rewards, unique map mechanics, and higher difficulty in general. Also more prizes would be cool, like in game cash prizes or sea snails.

Someone should make a story mode thread.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Was just re-reading the list to try and overwrite paid-blues, when I saw gloves option? I haven't seen any official news on it...

Which means it is either pure speculation (they could just be tied to shirts, ie. octo shirt) ooooooorrrrr

I misseed some official news somewhere o_o
gimme (plz) =3

PS:
Poll closes may 14th?

RELEASE DATE LEAKED!!!

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Well, I'm kinda sorta assuming the gloves thing, since GameXplain said there were gloves options and they got to play a demo version. However, that demo didn't allow them to pick their clothes options (and it was made fair since every piece of clothing had the same abilities). So, I'm kinda just assuming, but I'll take it off if it bothers anyone that much since technically I didn't get it confirmed from Nintendo, they just mention it at times in the video. And I'll come out and say it right now, I do, from time-to-time, trust other sources (that have been known to be trustworthy) a bit too much sometimes, so the gloves may just be add ons to certain shirts. I'll try to keep that to a minimum while I do the lists, but I'm not perfect.

The poll closes May 14 because I set it to close 4 months after it started, which would be May 14. Doesn't mean anything about the release date, though it'd be very funny and coincidental if that is indeed the release date.

Last edited:

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Aw man, I thought there was some juicy new nintendy news. You got my hopes up, shame on you ;_;
I'd remove it if it's just speculation, to keep the list as "officiaI" as possible, but I leave it to your discretion (ain't my thread and I aint no splewn gawd informant from nintendo, even though I kind of try to be xP).

And the poll bit was just a funny, since I noticed it was the same month as when splewn 1 came out =P.
I typically use colored text to convey when I'm being utterly eroneous, given how difficult(or impossible) it is to convey tone over online text xP

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Ya, may rid of it. And I'll have to get used to your "text color change for emotions" thing, lol.

D3RK

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6389-5985-3965 Username:「Derk」
I hope Splatoon 2 has better execution than the first. I absolutely loved Splatoon and I still consider it one of my favorite shooters to date! The game is extremely fun and addicting but there were so many small things that slowly drove me away from the game entirely. For the sake of the community to expand I hope they took some of our feedback from playing the first game. I would love to return to Splatoon!

Some of the things I'm hoping get adjusted in Splatoon 2:
- Remove RNG from gear. Most people eventually hacked their gear once we had the option because we got tired of dealing with Spike RNG. I honestly think that was one of the best things to happen to the game since we finally had a chance to try out all sorts of builds and experiment. Some will disagree, and that's fair. Paying additional points for a guaranteed roll or rolling a single spot would have been a great addition to fix this issue.

- Please do not force people to play ranked because the only non ranked option is turf wars. This was one of the main things that killed the game for me. If I wanted to play tower control I was forced to either play ranked (during the right hours it was in rotation... and then hope the maps were not annoying) or hope there were enough friends online for a private match. Horrible idea...
- Remove the 2 map lockout and replace it with a voting system. Show 2-3 maps and let the players vote on the map they want to play on. Then give them 1 min to select a loadout before the match starts. In the event of a tie a new random map will be chosen. The same 2 maps and game mode FOR 4 HOURS was excruciating.

- Spectator mode needs to happen. We begged and begged for it but it was never added. Now that they have E-sports in mind I am hoping this is a no brainer.

- Some maps need some serious adjustments if they plan on returning. Moray Towers (already shown to have adjustments) was horrible if their was a charger on the other team, and trust me there always will be... Camp Triggerfish was the same way since there was no reliable way to get to a sniper on the wall and they had full vision of the map which made it really hard to use the flank routes.

- I hope they consider custom loadouts this time. This would add a lot of diversity options that having subs locked to a weapon would hinder. Balance is always an argument to this but if the game truly is balanced then there should be nothing to worry about. We already had an E-liter with burst bombs, not sure it can get any worse than that. I always wanted to see a carbon roller with ink mines or point sensor but it didn't happen :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom