• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
On Jan. 12th, 2017, Nintendo revealed the early plans for the Nintendo Switch. A mass of games were shown off, including ARMS, 1, 2, Switch, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and Super Mario Odyssey, to name a few. But the game that stuck out most to this community was the reveal of Splatoon 2. This thread will be for any general discussion you wish, and I'll also try to keep up on what has been confirmed to return from the original Splatoon (What's Old) and what has been confirmed as a new addition to the sequel, Splatoon 2 (What's Fresh). The lists will be made up of weapon classes, stages, specials, bombs, modes, brands, characters, and other. If anyone spots something that I miss (old or fresh), tag me in the post along with what you've spotted so I can add it to the list(s). Rumors of what will appear in game will not be posted until confirmed by Nintendo, but feel free to speculate on them if you wish.

This thread is open for Single Player Story conversation and the Octo-Expansion Single Player.

You may discuss anything you want about the sequel, but be aware that all global SquidBoard rules apply. With that, I give you this list of What's Old and What's Fresh.

Release Date: July 21, 2017

STAY FRESH & OFF THE HOOK!!! (So you don't get cooked)

What's Old:
(Weapon Classes)
Shooters (Splattershot, etc.)
Splat Rollers (now with additional flick attack, roll speed also incrementally speeds up as a roll is held)
Splat Chargers (can now save your charge while swimming, but you will be marked by a light in doing so)
Splatlings
Sloshers
Blasters
Brushes
(Stages)
Moray Towers (with inkrails)
Port Mackerel (with sponges and rearranged crates)
Kelp Dome (with additional grates and turf)
Blackbelly Skatepark
Arowana Mall
Walleye Warehouse
Piranha Pit
Camp Triggerfish
Ancho-V Games

(Specials)
There are no returning specials.
(Bombs)
Splat Bomb
Burst Bomb
Suction Bomb
Point Sensor
Inkmine
Sprinkler
Squid Beakon
Splash Wall
(Modes)
Turf War
Splat Zones
Tower Control
Rainmaker
(Brands)
Forge
Splash Mob
Takaroka
FireFin
Krak-On
SquidForce
Rockenberg
Zekko
Tentatek
Skalop
Amiibo

(Characters)
Callie & Marie (Squid Sisters)
Cap'n Cuttlefish
Agent 3
Judd
Crusty Sean
Annie & Moe (via SplatNet 2 app)
Sheldon
Jelonzo
Spyke (background character)
DJ Octavio

(General)
Super Jump
Splatfests

What's Fresh:
(Weapon Classes)
Splat Dualies (with Dodge Roll ability)
Splat Brella
(Stages)
The Reef
Musselforge Fitness
Starfish Mainstage
Humpback Pump Track
Inkblot Art Academy
Sturgeon Shipyard
Manta Maria
Snapper Canal
MakoMart
Shellendorf Institute
Goby Arena
Wahoo World
New Albacore Hotel
Skipper Pavilion
Shifty Station (a random stage based off of Hero Mode that is Splatfest exclusive)
(Specials)
Tenta Missiles
Bomb Launcher
Sting Ray
Ink Storm
Inkjet
Splashdown
Ink Armor
Baller
Bubble Blower
Booyah Bomb
(Bombs)
Curling Bomb
Toxic Mist
Autobomb

(Modes)
New Single-Player Campaign
Spectator and LAN Mode
Salmon Run
League Battles
The Shoal
Clam Blitz (Ranked Mode)
Octo-Expansion (Octoling Single Player DLC)

(Brands)
Emperry
Anaaki

(Characters)
Pearl & Marina (Off The Hook)

Agent 4
Li'l Judd
Bisk
Flow & Craymond
Jelfonzo
Murch
Agent 8
C.Q. Cumber
Iso Padre
Commander Tartar

(General)
Main Hub/activity center has been changed from Inkopolis Plaza to Inkopolis Square
Signals (changed to "This Way!" and "Booyah!")
Hairstyle Options (Aesthetic purposes)
Pants Options (Aesthetic purposes)
Area map now shows weapons and gear of teammates, as well as who has specials charged, use x button to view and super jump
Starting positions on Spawn Point have changed
Inkling icons return at the top of the screen, and show every player's weapons, and show when someone is splatted as well as who has their special ready
Voice Chat is now supported (via the SplatNet 2 app). You can talk with friends in the Lobby/Waiting Area before a match, and friends on your team (ONLY if they're friends and on your team). You cannot talk with those who aren't friends.
Separate ranks for each ranked battle mode
Rank X (New Ranked Battle rank)
New customizable Amiibo!

Last edited:

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
If I may add a few things missed.

Was ist Frosch
-Splat roller has an additional flick attack.
-Gear abilties are no longer tied to gear (confirmed on splatoon JP twitter )
-New "hairstyles" and pants (most know about it by now, but I think it should be added anyways)

EDIT: I was wrong, the twitter says abilities are not tied to pants and hairstyles,
unlike headgear, shoes and shirts.

Last edited:

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
-splatlings (confirmed returning by official art)
-ui overlay now shows weapons and which players have fully charged specials
-x button to show map with d-pad to super jump to teammates

HySquid

Full Squid
NNID
mob362
i'm kind of scared that this game wont turn out so hot.

cuz... matchmaking- "ah, there he goes again with the matchmaking rants."

i just hope the matchmaking wont be absolute bull.

in Splatoon 1 - Ranked Battles:

I get paired with (Higher Rank(s)) when I'm only (Lower Rank)

the other team gets more (Higher Ranked Players) than my team.
or my team gets more (Higher Ranked Players) than the other team.
(it sucks terribly)

in Splatoon 1 - Turf War:

the other team gets more (Higher Leveled Players) than my team.
my team gets more (Higher Leveled Players) than the other team.

in Splatoon 1 - Both modes:

My team/The other team gets completely spawncamped/destroyed.

My team/The other team gets more than one Charger/Roller/Shooter/Blaster which can cause problems sometimes.
I once got paired up with 2 enemy splatterscopers. They completely carried their team.

laggy japanese players
pro japanese players everywhere

It's like this almost EVERY DAY.

VOX

Inkster Jr.
Ah, squidboards... It's good to be back.

So, I have a quick question. In the trailer, I noticed one of the maps seemed to have a rock climbing area in the background. Is this "The Reef" Map or something else?

Also, this doesn't apply to new mechanics, but apparently Splatoon 2 takes place "two years after the original" and now the hub is "Inkopolis Square", which is "two subway stations" from the original Inkopolis Plaza.

More interesting stuff in this article:
http://www.siliconera.com/2017/01/13/splatoon-2-takes-place-two-years-original/

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Cool, thanks for all the additional info. guys. I'll add it to the list. Can't believe I forgot to add the hairstyles and pants. Then again, I didn't have a list of notes and just went off the fly and gameplay I've seen from Nintendo, got caught up in the names of all the new specials...

Last edited:

Joasa

Depressed Squid
I know it's not completely relevant, but I dunno where to say this, but during the trailer, you can see a line of Inklings waiting for a food truck ran by a Japanese Tiger Prawn wearing glasses and a white hat. So did Crusty Sean sell his shoe business to pursue his lifelong dream of selling overpriced health smoothies to the Inkopolis youth?

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
I know it's not completely relevant, but I dunno where to say this, but during the trailer, you can see a line of Inklings waiting for a food truck ran by a Japanese Tiger Prawn wearing glasses and a white hat. So did Crusty Sean sell his shoe business to pursue his lifelong dream of selling overpriced health smoothies to the Inkopolis youth?
I dunno. It might be a completely new character. That's why there's a ? next to his name.

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
i'm kind of scared that this game wont turn out so hot.

cuz... matchmaking- "ah, there he goes again with the matchmaking rants."

i just hope the matchmaking wont be absolute bull.

in Splatoon 1 - Ranked Battles:

I get paired with (Higher Rank(s)) when I'm only (Lower Rank)

the other team gets more (Higher Ranked Players) than my team.
or my team gets more (Higher Ranked Players) than the other team.
(it sucks terribly)

in Splatoon 1 - Turf War:

the other team gets more (Higher Leveled Players) than my team.
my team gets more (Higher Leveled Players) than the other team.

in Splatoon 1 - Both modes:

My team/The other team gets completely spawncamped/destroyed.

My team/The other team gets more than one Charger/Roller/Shooter/Blaster which can cause problems sometimes.
I once got paired up with 2 enemy splatterscopers. They completely carried their team.

laggy japanese players
pro japanese players everywhere

It's like this almost EVERY DAY.
I'm sorry you feel this way but there's good reason for them doing it this way.

In rank they created bubbles of three so you could have a sense of progression while also maintaining a player base in each rank. This cuts down on wait times so even if there aren't enough players of exactly your rank they can dip into plus or minus ranks too. S/S+ were initially bubbled together until their player bases increased enough to be sustainable on their own.
In most cases players within the bubble aren't massively more or less skilled than others, but that won't stop the losers from making it a reason for salt.

In turf wars the levels mean nothing in regards to skill so being scared off by higher numbers is silly. (honestly it'd be better if they didn't show player levels for turf wars as it only causes the illusion that some players are better). Also this late in the game there are mostly higher level players connecting so of course any low level player will join a game with higher level players.

Spawn camping will hopefully be fixed with better designed stages that account for this. DLC stages weren't as vulnerable so I think they learned from some of their design mistakes.

Hopefully team composition is addressed in their algorithm. They did update Splatoon's algorithm to account for this but it's imperfect due to player base and wait times.

Lol players from anywhere can be laggy and d/c, unless Nintendo bans them from playing nothing can be done.
It just happens Splatoon is massively more popular in Japan which leads to 90% Japanese lobbys. Unless the popularity of Splatoon 2 booms in the West this likely won't change. (this also addresses the myth that Japanese players are better. They aren't, they just appear more frequently.)

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
(honestly it'd be better if they didn't show player levels for turf wars as it only causes the illusion that some players are better)
I would be 100 percent on board with this.

Hopefully team composition is addressed in their algorithm. They did update Splatoon's algorithm to account for this but it's imperfect due to player base and wait times.
This is something I also want addressed so badly in Splatoon 2. I feel the weapon compositions led to so many miserable, or super easy unfair battles depending on the make up of the team's weapons. Being able to switch (pun slightly intended) weapons between each battle would be a slight way to fix this issue.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Will miss the mini map on the gamepad. As the demo currently has it set, the only way you can actually look at your map is by taking out the quick jump screen with X. Unfortunately that does come at the cost of being able to seamlessly plan out your moves at a glance. This is assuming that a mini map will not find its way to the final game, they do also have to account playing the game portable so adding a mini map may end up making the screen too cluttered or not provide enough information.

Same applies to having quick jump relocated to the menu, won't be as quick and instantaneous as they were before.

Things we'll have to get used to in the sequel.

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Will miss the mini map on the gamepad. As the demo currently has it set, the only way you can actually look at your map is by taking out the quick jump screen with X. Unfortunately that does come at the cost of being able to seamlessly plan out your moves at a glance. This is assuming that a mini map will not find its way to the final game, they do also have to account playing the game portable so adding a mini map may end up making the screen too cluttered or not provide enough information.

Same applies to having quick jump relocated to the menu, won't be as quick and instantaneous as they were before.

Things we'll have to get used to in the sequel.
It does seem that way doesn't it. I'm sure once people really get into it, it'll come naturally. But it will feel a bit weird until then.

Energyblade7

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Energyblade
I dunno. It might be a completely new character. That's why there's a ? next to his name.
Yeah but last time I checked Crusty Sean's tempura shrimp look was a designer jacket or something to that degree, which that tiger prawn definitely has, so it's probably safe to assume it's Crusty Sean

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Yeah but last time I checked Crusty Sean's tempura shrimp look was a designer jacket or something to that degree, which that tiger prawn definitely has, so it's probably safe to assume it's Crusty Sean
Probably. But until we know for sure, I'm still just going to leave it there. Also, I think I figured out who this guy is:

image.png

Look at what he's holding. Looks like the device you use to call Spyke when you want to order something. That, and there's Sea Snail shells around him, plus that looks like Spyke's hair on the right and on his own head. Their skin tone looks similar too. In other words, I think they're related in some way.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
News from Squid Research Lab!

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/

The post desribing the splattershot also states all pre-existing weapon types, explicitely naming splatlings and sloshers, will be returning.

It did not say anything directly about SUB-types(brushes/blasters/nozzlenoses) so we still have to sit tight for news about those. xP

But fear not bucket wielders

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
News from Squid Research Lab!

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/

The post desribing the splattershot also states all pre-existing weapon types, explicitely naming splatlings and sloshers, will be returning.

It did not say anything directly about SUB-types(brushes/blasters/nozzlenoses) so we still have to sit tight for news about those. xP

But fear not bucket wielders
I'll add the Sloshers/Buckets to the List!

Last edited:

Spraylan

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JonasOrtega
I am so stoked that Chargers are able to briefly hold their shot charges. I can't wait to play this game.

Maave

Inkling Commander
Just thought of something, I hope they tweak the brush and bucket controls so that I don't have to carpal-tunnel spam the triggers to fire.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
The starting position of Inklings on the spawn point is also different. More of a "U" shape rather than the cross shape in the first game. Possibly to stop shot blocking and getting in other player's way at the start of the match?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom