1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

3. Splatoon 2 has released around the globe!

Join the Splatoon 2 hype and discussion!

Splatoon 2 Ink Mines

Discussion in 'Competitive Discussion' started by Captain Woomy, Aug 11, 2017 at 10:07 AM.

?

Who else thinks the new ink mine got a downgrade from the original Splatoon?

1. I don't like the new ink mines.

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. I think the new ink mines are an improvement!

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  1. Captain Woomy

Captain Woomy Woomy Enthusiast
    Premium

NNID:
    SupaEpic
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-1507-4592-4998
    What do you all think of the new ink mines in Splatoon 2? I personally do not like them. I liked them more in the first Splatoon when they would splat an opponent in one hit and that was it. In the second one you're allowed to have two at once, but the blast is much weaker and all it does is act like a point sensor. What's the point when point sensors have returned as a sub weapon? Two point sensor weapons are unnecessary in my opinion.

2. Captain Woomy

Captain Woomy Woomy Enthusiast
    Premium

NNID:
    SupaEpic
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-1507-4592-4998
    Oh no. I didn't notice until now that I posted this in the Splatoon 1 section. Any way this thread can be moved if one like it doesn't already exist in the Splatoon 2 competitive discussion?

3. Dessgeega

Dessgeega Hipster Squid
    Premium

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3756-0533-5215
    They became more notable to me after I noticed that they have no time limit, they will stay where they are for the duration of a match if untouched. They aren't great for killing, sure, but they're a fantastic early warning system for campers like myself. Lightly damaging and marking a foe that's coming after me in my spot means I'm much more likely that I'll survive the ambush.

Not that I use ink mines myself, but I greatly appreciate those placed by Rapid Blaster and E-liter allies.

#3 Dessgeega, Aug 11, 2017 at 6:45 PM
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 3:57 PM
    Ansible, MissingNumbers and Yin_ like this.
  4. Spaceswitchmars

Spaceswitchmars Senior Squid

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0556-1305-6031
    I absolutely love ink mines now. They're my favorite sub. They work best as an alarm system to let me know when someone is trying to creep up behind me. Throw them down at any choke point/flank point, and I can hunt down those who would wish to do me harm. That they don't disappear until activated AND there's two? That's just icing on the cake. They're amazing.

Ansible likes this.
  5. Yin_

Yin_ Inkster Jr.

Yes the new ink mines are nice in a sense that they can put a point sensor on people and you can place 2, but you can't one shot anymore so they are a little underwhelming in my case. I love sniping with eliters but now it's just plain dumb. Why give a warning when you can just kill them without even noticing? o_O

Spaceswitchmars likes this.
  6. Spaceswitchmars

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0556-1305-6031
    I see your issue. I'm not a sniper, so I prefer the way it is now. What if you could place one ink mine over the other, and it works the way it did in the first Splatoon? but if you only place one or if you place them far enough apart, it works how it does now? As a blaster, I don't want them to change, but I totally get your issue.

7. MissingNumbers

MissingNumbers Inkling Commander

NNID:
    MissingN
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-4262-2166-2532
    Probably because it couldn't even do that job right in the first game. Either it gets inked and the victim was hardly anywhere near the blast radius, or it was stepped over and quickly and easily passed across. The only situation I have ever seen Ink Mines actually do their job right was on Tower Control.

8. Spaceswitchmars

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0556-1305-6031
    That was my thought exactly.

MissingNumbers and Dessgeega like this.