• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Splatoon 2 Ink Mines

Who else thinks the new ink mine got a downgrade from the original Splatoon?

• I don't like the new ink mines.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • I think the new ink mines are an improvement!

Votes: 27 81.8%

• Total voters

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
What do you all think of the new ink mines in Splatoon 2? I personally do not like them. I liked them more in the first Splatoon when they would splat an opponent in one hit and that was it. In the second one you're allowed to have two at once, but the blast is much weaker and all it does is act like a point sensor. What's the point when point sensors have returned as a sub weapon? Two point sensor weapons are unnecessary in my opinion.

Oh no. I didn't notice until now that I posted this in the Splatoon 1 section. Any way this thread can be moved if one like it doesn't already exist in the Splatoon 2 competitive discussion?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
They became more notable to me after I noticed that they have no time limit, they will stay where they are for the duration of a match if untouched. They aren't great for killing, sure, but they're a fantastic early warning system for campers like myself. Lightly damaging and marking a foe that's coming after me in my spot means I'm much more likely that I'll survive the ambush.

Not that I use ink mines myself, but I greatly appreciate those placed by Rapid Blaster and E-liter allies.

Last edited:

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I absolutely love ink mines now. They're my favorite sub. They work best as an alarm system to let me know when someone is trying to creep up behind me. Throw them down at any choke point/flank point, and I can hunt down those who would wish to do me harm. That they don't disappear until activated AND there's two? That's just icing on the cake. They're amazing.

Yin_

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2325-6454-5517
Yes the new ink mines are nice in a sense that they can put a point sensor on people and you can place 2, but you can't one shot anymore so they are a little underwhelming in my case. I love sniping with eliters but now it's just plain dumb. Why give a warning when you can just kill them without even noticing? o_O

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Yes the new ink mines are nice in a sense that they can put a point sensor on people and you can place 2, but you can't one shot anymore so they are a little underwhelming in my case. I love sniping with eliters but now it's just plain dumb. Why give a warning when you can just kill them without even noticing? o_O
I see your issue. I'm not a sniper, so I prefer the way it is now. What if you could place one ink mine over the other, and it works the way it did in the first Splatoon? but if you only place one or if you place them far enough apart, it works how it does now? As a blaster, I don't want them to change, but I totally get your issue.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Why give a warning when you can just kill them without even noticing? o_O
Probably because it couldn't even do that job right in the first game. Either it gets inked and the victim was hardly anywhere near the blast radius, or it was stepped over and quickly and easily passed across. The only situation I have ever seen Ink Mines actually do their job right was on Tower Control.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Probably because it couldn't even do that job right in the first game. Either it gets inked and the victim was hardly anywhere near the blast radius, or it was stepped over and quickly and easily passed across. The only situation I have ever seen Ink Mines actually do their job right was on Tower Control.
That was my thought exactly.

Zahntavier

Senior Squid
E-Liter main. I am a big fan of the new ink mines. Here is why in no particular order:

-Infinite duration

-You can put them on a low perch to tag enemies below

-They can soften up enemies for a partial charge kill (closest I'm gonna get to damage up)

-cheap enough ink cost to facilitate fluid gameplay

-stylish splats

There is something especially satisfying about tagging someone and then quickly swivelling for the kill shot.

I'm pretty happy with the eliter-4K kit in general, so much area control.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
How many threads is this on the subject now?

Anyway, what the OP is overlooking is the fact that you have pointers to where you left them at all times, and are instantly notified when one goes off. The damage is a bonus (and a nice one, just the right amount to make Rapid Blasters and E-Liters very happy), but the real utility is the perimeter alarm functionality.

Besides, they were garbage in S1. I never saw anyone use them except Luna Blasters on Tower Control, and then not even that when the Neo Luna came out. They were just too slow.

Reactions: the

Naza

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-2376-1752-3028
I found them very useful in this game. Sub Performance Up will also increase the radius of the InkMine too.

Zahntavier

Senior Squid
The radius increase seems pretty small, with Sub-Power-Up. Has anybody noticed a difference in gameplay?

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Here is the thing, in Splatoon 1, the mines were too slow, yet could kill in a single glue hit. If they had buffed the mines to make them detonate faster, then they would have been too good. So they took this approach, and I am glad to have it. Give us more ways to detect others. Personally, I still prefer point sensors, but I also dig the mines. I just gotta be a bit more strategic with them if I want them to detonate on someone.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
In splat 1, i only used mines effectively on the tower or above climbable walls.
Sometimes too warn me of a enemy but i rather just look myself then rely on a mine.
Ink mines always have been for defensive use so this change compliments it heavely.
Now there's no ink recovery delay, infinite timer, and puts echo locator on enemy's making it alot more effective to use in its supportive niche.

The damge may be nothing to write home about but it makes oppenents more vulnerable if they are forced in combat after due to lowered time to kill.
And some 'close-to-insta-splat-moves become a splat.
Most noticeable with a rapid blaster direct hit.

The radius increase seems pretty small, with Sub-Power-Up. Has anybody noticed a difference in gameplay?
I'm not sure if the radius actually increases.
The 'danger zone' does for sure but dunno about the actual explosion radius.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom