1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

3. We just overhauled our look and made some big updates. Learn about all the changes!

4. Nintendo has officially revealed their new console, previously codenamed NX! It's called the Nintendo Switch and they've announced Splatoon 2, coming this summer!

Join the Splatoon 2 hype and discussion!

Splatoon 2 on the Nintendo Switch (NX) reveal!

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by Reila, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Reila

Reila Inkling Fleet Admiral

at 3:13

It looks SO good. New hairstyles hype! Could it be a Splatoon Remaster though, but at any rate, I am hyped anyways.

2. Ulk

Ulk Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    Die-Ulk-Nudel
    If it's a remaster it's a very well-made one. We see new hair styles, clothes and stages. That's quite a lot of effort put into it. Whatever it is, I can't wait to have it.

3. Reila

Yeah, I am betting on a sequel. Hopefully the Switch won't be extremely expensive, because I will need one.

Babycowland, G1ng3rGar1 and Ulk like this.
  4. Leronne

Leronne Inkling Commander

NNID:
    Leronne
    Goddamnit, now i need this on launch. It looks freaking amazing.
    Screenshot_2016-10-20-10-16-35.png
    Screenshot_2016-10-20-10-22-57.png

I NEEEEED IIIIIIIIT

#4 Leronne, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  5. Warchamp7

Warchamp7 Blame Me If the Place Is Melting
    Admin

NNID:
    Warchamp7
    I am SO EXCITED

G1ng3rGar1 likes this.
  6. Trieste Sp

Trieste Sp Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

I didn't think we would see the sequel during the reveal. That totally caught me off guard.

I'm exited to see this new direction Nintendo is taking.

G1ng3rGar1 likes this.
  7. mercenariez

mercenariez Senior Squid

NNID:
    gamelo8018
    Damn it I'm so hyped *sniff*

And playing Splatoon on the go!!! :O

8. jrensink78

jrensink78 Inkling

NNID:
    daddyticotaco
    Did you all notice the controller though? When playing on a TV, they never show a controller with a video screen on it. The Splatooners were basically using a pro controller. That'll fundamentally alter the gameplay style if that's the case.

If the controllers don't have gyro, I'm out. I can't do sticks.

9. TeddyBearYoshi

TeddyBearYoshi Squid Savior From the Future

NNID:
    FurryRedPanda
    New hairstyles!! Local play! Woo! Nintendo really planned this out well.

kanye not and Mendax like this.
  10. Ulk

Ulk Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    Die-Ulk-Nudel
    According to rumors it will cost around 300 bucks, which I personally find beyond acceptable. But I honestly don't think I can stop myself either even if it's more expensive than that. Haha.

G1ng3rGar1 likes this.
  11. Reila

That is quite expensive to me, 250 would be the ideal. But who knows, maybe I will be able to afford it.
    I suppose gyro will still be in the game, but they might change the super jump from touchscreen to a button. Because we won't be able to use the handheld screen as a map anymore if we are playing in handheld mode (which you can according to the video itself).

ちょうさい, Ulk and Award like this.
  12. jrensink78

jrensink78 Inkling

NNID:
    daddyticotaco
    The mini-map can get super-imposed on the main screen well enough. But definitely the super jump and ink strike would need a new mechanic. Super jumping is such a big part of the game. I wonder how they can make it work as well given the constraints.

ちょうさい and Slushious like this.
  13. Mr.HawK

Mr.HawK The Artist

NNID:
    ChaosHawk
    I'll admit. I'm excited, i'm hopeful, and maybe... i'll play this game seriously again.

Just fix online and get rid of spyke

OCTOBRUSH..., Saber, Gatsby and 2 others like this.
  14. Kosta

Kosta Inkling

NNID:
    kaarasukun
    We only saw it while it was being displayed on a TV though right? This makes me wonder if there are certain games that won't be able to be played on the tablet

15. Hades

Hades Inkling

I did not expect to see any mention of Splatoon at all so I'm very excited

I'm just concerned about how superjumping and inkstriking will work now, or if they're getting rid of it

kanye not likes this.
  16. jrensink78

jrensink78 Inkling

NNID:
    daddyticotaco
    No. The splatoon team was playing it on the portable screen before going into the stadium.

Also noticed nobody once touched the portable screen. Guessing it may not be touch capable.

17. jrensink78

jrensink78 Inkling

NNID:
    daddyticotaco
    The loss of superjump would be really sad. It's such an big part of how the game is played. Losing ink-strike wouldn't be the end of the world.

18. TJEntertainmentYT

TJEntertainmentYT Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    TJ0144
    What's your reaction when you saw the splatoon 2 thing on the nintendo switch reveal?

19. Kosta

Kosta Inkling

NNID:
    kaarasukun
    Ah ok shows how much I was paying attention lol. Well either way, if the screen isn't touch capable I have no idea how they plan to implement inkstrike and super jump, really. Maybe for super jump you could manually select a team mate's name/the spawn? Seems tedious though

20. Robstar12

Robstar12 Inkling

NNID:
    Robstar12
    ALSO PANTS :0000

21. Reila

I never said super jump would be removed, just that they could change it from touchscreen to a regular button. We could perhaps see the map in the main screen this time.

22. jrensink78

jrensink78 Inkling

NNID:
    daddyticotaco
    I'm sure they will come up with some sort of mechanic. Thinking about it for just a minute, I could see a button press to bring up a mini-map that you could then quickly aim your reticle at using gyro and then another button press to engage the superjump/inkstrike. You could pull that off in a second with practice, no looking down any more. That's just one quick potential solution.

LupusFreak and Kosta like this.
  23. Award

Award Lord of the Squids

Good to see you again!

I'm still going to guess there will be two bundles. One that's just the handheld, and one with the full home dock. Could be wrong but it makes sense. Not everybody that bought a DS/3DS wanted a Wii/WiiU. Since the system runs on it's own as a handheld it makes sense to sell the handheld portion alone for less money to entice the more budget concision handheld-only crowd. And at $300 it's still cheaper than WiiU was at launch by 25%. I'm sure the home dock would be sold separately (for more than the difference between the two bundles for the toe dipping handheld buyers to "move up" to the full kit later.

In another thread we'd speculated a while back about how SJ could work without a touch screen based on the rumors of NX being exactly this. Though, this is Nintendo, who says SJ will still exist? Why not have the UFO's apply a gravity field that prevents Super Jumping.....and introduce a whole new mechanic to the game to shake things up?
    (Besides SJ was a critical component of a flawed mechanic that helped the spawncamp problems...might not be bad to toss it aside and introduce something new and less exploitable :)

Thinking further, Splatoon Switch will require a number of new systems and different gameplay. Managing the battle relied heavily on watching the map on the Gamepad. Without that option, there will need to be a multitude of new systems that either help inform you the status of the map, or different conditions, abilitites that negate the need to understand the whole map's status. It HAS to play different because the control/display/feedback is different. And map design will need to accomodate that (less obstruction, more clear view of the map without looking at the gamepad, etc.)

24. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish ...........Oops! I fell asleep!
    Premium

NNID:
    tokkers
    motion control has been confirmed for the switch but idk how it actually works

ANYWAY IM SO HYPE OHHHH MY GODDDDDDDDDDD

Saber and Slurmp like this.
  25. Ulk

Ulk Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    Die-Ulk-Nudel
    Oh my god how did I overlook that? This changes everything.

OCTOBRUSH..., Energyblade7 and Slurmp like this.
  26. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish ...........Oops! I fell asleep!
    Premium

NNID:
    tokkers
    SplatoonJP posted this tweet, and here's a very fast translation i did;

"new species of squid" sounds ..interesting

Sqwiddles likes this.
  27. Sqwiddles

Sqwiddles Pro Squid

NNID:
    PheenieWeen
    *COMES UP FROM THE ****ING GRAVE*
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    I AM SO HYPED I CRIED SO HARD WHEN I SAW THE SPLATOON ON THE THINGy THING THING!
    I LIKE CAN'T EVEN RIGHT NOW???
    THE HAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIRRRRR!!!
    I AM LIKE TOTES EXCITED!
    OOOOH, I GOT TO KEEP UP WITH THE INFORMATION WE GET AND WHAT EVERYONE'S OPINION IS ON THIS!

Mendax and Award like this.
  28. Slurmp

Slurmp Pro Squid

NNID:
    HedgehogOverlord
    If there is less obstruction there will need to be a way for snipers to be kept in check.

OCTOBRUSH... and Award like this.
  29. Kosta

Kosta Inkling

NNID:
    kaarasukun
    Friend just sent me this over discord not 100% of the source or anything but if it's legit then gyro controls are confirmed. (Also yay region free)
    edit: Don't know how I forgot to mention it but touch screen confirmed too

#29 Kosta, Oct 20, 2016
  30. Reila

Yay <3 Glad to be back, this is probably my favorite forum.

I am with you, I don't see them releasing the dock obligatory for those who only want the handheld experience. Like me, I suppose. I know it is cheaper than the Wii U, but I see the Switch as a handheld and $300 is a lot for one. If they sell the handheld only for $250 or so, I will so happy!

Flight, Babycowland and Award like this.
  31. G1ng3rGar1

G1ng3rGar1 Inkling Fleet Admiral

I'm scrEAMing over here

I hope it's not too expensive because I need the Switch and Spla2n
    The pictures are confirmed.

Babycowland, Mendax and Slurmp like this.
  32. JoJoTheSalty

JoJoTheSalty Semi-Pro Squid

Are those... PANTS OPTIONS?????

Also I may or may not play as the male character just to get that fabulous emo ponytail

I can't hype two things at once. I already have Pokémon and now this...

asdfghjkl

OCTOBRUSH..., Mendax, Slurmp and 2 others like this.
  33. Bloop

Bloop Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    paraplonk
    me right now:
    [​IMG]
    im LOVIN the hairstyles and we finally have more pants... but im also p interested in those new weapons,,, my body is ready

Ansible and G1ng3rGar1 like this.
  34. Almost OK

Almost OK Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    ThinkAboutIt27
    Nintendo website says, "Furthermore, it is possible for numerous people to bring their Nintendo Switch systems together to enjoy local multiplayer face-to-face competition."

35. Warchamp7

Warchamp7 Blame Me If the Place Is Melting
    Admin

NNID:
    Warchamp7
    It was pointed out to me on Twitter they're also all posing on spawn, it's not simply battle stances :eek:

36. Cdr. Sigma Skye

Cdr. Sigma Skye Inkling Representative for The Order and Sirius
    Premium

Even if my Parents can afford the Switch (nopunintendo), I'll still want those new hairstyles for Gmod and SFM!

I wish my inkling can act like he's doing a war cry on Spawn.

WiseSquid, G1ng3rGar1 and Ansible like this.
  37. Ansible

Ansible Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    RocketRobin
    Disappointed that it looks like there'll be no touch functions. So long Miiverse art?

Here's hoping that the handheld portion of the console has no strings attached and is really independent.

Waaaaiiiit, "hairstyle" options confirmed?

G1ng3rGar1 and Sqwiddles like this.
  38. Kosta

Kosta Inkling

NNID:
    kaarasukun
    I think the part of the video where they showed someone using the handheld on a plane was meant to demonstrate that? So I think we can rest assured on that one!

39. Captain Woomy

Captain Woomy Inkling Commander

NNID:
    SupaEpic
    Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. How will that work with inkstrikes and super jumps and the mini maps? While super jumping is normally something I don't do too much in battle, I do use the mini map on the Wii U gamepad's screen all the time and would hate to not see one of each map in the sequel.

As for the controller situation, I would learn how to play with sticks just for Splatoon. I love it that much. I wasn't even good with motion controls at first, but I was able to learn those, and I can learn analog controls too if I really need to. But I feel like these controllers will have the gyro controls built into them considering how many Splatoon players are used to them.

#39 Captain Woomy, Oct 20, 2016
    G1ng3rGar1 likes this.
  40. Award

Award Lord of the Squids

#TeamCallie +1

Good point. The Splatoon team knows what they're doing....they'll figure it out. No map screen means there must either be less obstruction or changes to gameplay that means the obstruction doesn't matter and you don't need to know what's going on where as it happens. Which sounds counterintuative, but I imagine there could be some ways of changing battles and pacing to make that work effectively. Or just "press select to see a map overlay" but that could get messy.

I'd be very surprised if they didn't do that. This is the company that makes a big deal of a new handheld sold in a new color. Selling multiple handhelds to the same person is a big part of the DS/3DS/GBA business. Not only would I be surprised, marketing wise, if they didn't sell the handheld in a cheaper bundle, I'd be surprise if, at least over time, we didn't see the "Switch Hanheld portion Kirby Super Mania limited edition" type releases where you can buy a dozen handhelds in different colors like all the other handhelds, simply because there's a customer base for it (especially in Japan.)

Also, if Miyamoto has said it once, he's said it a dozen times that price was one of the WiiU's biggest problems and that they're very sensitive to price for NX. yeah it's a lot cheaper out of the gate,but it makes sens to offer the cheapest possible bundle too.

That was one of my take-aways from the video too. 4 players playing on 2 tablet mode consoles back to back. It really looks like a return to proper LAN play like it's 1997! I'm guessing Metroid Federation Force and Triforce Heroes largely served as R&D platforms for Switch LAN setups.

It has gyros. Ubisoft inadvertently leaked that part back at E3 for Just Dance. 3DS has gyros. The Joy-Con controllers are, basically, just minature WiiMotes after all. And even Sony has gyros in their "large" controller (Pro Controller Switch which is what they were showing Spla2n on at the end.) it definitely should have full gyro support. (Honestly, after Splatoon spoiled me on Gyros, I've been trying to play Uncharted 4 and it feels like it's a game from 1999. Sticks are so backwards for aiming. :) )