1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Splatoon 2 Physics Theory - Needs Confirmation

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by Enperry, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Enperry

Enperry Inkling Commander

NNID:
    ssjplt
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0405-1788-8108
    Hey guys! So recently I noticed something while playing, created a theory, and tested it - but now I need someone else to confirm it in order for it to be vetted as a true Splatoon 2 physics law. The theory is this: "When two inklings using the same main weapon fire at each other during a gunfight with perfect accuracy from both shooters, the Inkling who is elevated higher will be victorious in splatting the opposing one" I call it the Elevation Advantage.

2. BBGrenorange

BBGrenorange Inkling Cadet

I like your scientific method but I don’t think there’s any need for anyone else to repeat the experiment - it’s a video game, so your results are guaranteed to be the exact same; there’s no way you botched the experiment.

If you think about it it makes a lot of sense, the bullets accelerate towards the ground, gaining momentum and delivering more force on impact.

But then ACTUALLY if you think about it it doesn’t make any sense at all, assuming that the damage caused to inklings is chemical in nature - the difference in force of the collision is minuscule so it shouldn’t really make any difference.

Dewnose and Enperry like this.
  3. Euxis

Euxis Inkling

You also have to take in the fact that there is falloff damage. This might not affect most weapons, however.

4. KrakenPineapples

What kind of weapon? I would suppose a regular shooter would do fit for the theory yes?

ajxrunner and Enperry like this.
  5. Sifu

Sifu Look Behind You
    Premium

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3816-1808-3393
    That's... not physics

6. KrakenPineapples

No i meant in as like the weapon you would use but then again I should just stop talking lol

7. Enperry

Enperry Inkling Commander

NNID:
    ssjplt
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0405-1788-8108
    What would you call it?

8. MindWanderer

MindWanderer Inkling Commander

NNID:
    MindWanderer
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5961-6763-3987
    It's not part of what we could call the game's "physics engine," but it is part of the game's ink physics system.

But basically, if you're shooting upwards, you have an effective range disadvantage because you're fighting gravity. If both inklings are fully in range of each other, then they will splat each other at exactly the same time, because each shot will hit. At the higher end of the weapons' ranges, some shots will miss, mostly by the one with the height disadvantage, because shots scatter more at greater range. Even further and the one lower down won't even be hitting while the one higher might be hitting with falloff damage.

9. BBGrenorange

BBGrenorange Inkling Cadet

Um excuse me

KrakenPineapples likes this.
  10. Dewnose

Dewnose Inkling Cadet

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-1493-3741-2812
    What about weapons with perfect accuracy, like the H3s, the Splash-o-matic, or (for the most part) the Ballpoint?

11. MindWanderer

MindWanderer Inkling Commander

NNID:
    MindWanderer
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5961-6763-3987
    You can test for yourself. Spread won't have an effect, but the arcs of the shots and falloff damage will. Two Splash-O-Matics at different height, assuming they can actually hit each other and are hitting directly, should kill at exactly the same speed. The H3 is a little harder to test, since at maximum range you'll probably be arcing your shots and converting some of the damage to falloff.

KrakenPineapples and Dewnose like this.