• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Physics Theory - Needs Confirmation

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Hey guys! So recently I noticed something while playing, created a theory, and tested it - but now I need someone else to confirm it in order for it to be vetted as a true Splatoon 2 physics law. The theory is this: "When two inklings using the same main weapon fire at each other during a gunfight with perfect accuracy from both shooters, the Inkling who is elevated higher will be victorious in splatting the opposing one" I call it the Elevation Advantage.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
I like your scientific method but I don’t think there’s any need for anyone else to repeat the experiment - it’s a video game, so your results are guaranteed to be the exact same; there’s no way you botched the experiment.

If you think about it it makes a lot of sense, the bullets accelerate towards the ground, gaining momentum and delivering more force on impact.

But then ACTUALLY if you think about it it doesn’t make any sense at all, assuming that the damage caused to inklings is chemical in nature - the difference in force of the collision is minuscule so it shouldn’t really make any difference.

Euxis

Inkling
Hey guys! So recently I noticed something while playing, created a theory, and tested it - but now I need someone else to confirm it in order for it to be vetted as a true Splatoon 2 physics law. The theory is this: "When two inklings using the same main weapon fire at each other during a gunfight with perfect accuracy from both shooters, the Inkling who is elevated higher will be victorious in splatting the opposing one" I call it the Elevation Advantage.
You also have to take in the fact that there is falloff damage. This might not affect most weapons, however.

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
That's... not physics

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
It's not part of what we could call the game's "physics engine," but it is part of the game's ink physics system.

But basically, if you're shooting upwards, you have an effective range disadvantage because you're fighting gravity. If both inklings are fully in range of each other, then they will splat each other at exactly the same time, because each shot will hit. At the higher end of the weapons' ranges, some shots will miss, mostly by the one with the height disadvantage, because shots scatter more at greater range. Even further and the one lower down won't even be hitting while the one higher might be hitting with falloff damage.

Dewnose

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1493-3741-2812
What about weapons with perfect accuracy, like the H3s, the Splash-o-matic, or (for the most part) the Ballpoint?

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
You can test for yourself. Spread won't have an effect, but the arcs of the shots and falloff damage will. Two Splash-O-Matics at different height, assuming they can actually hit each other and are hitting directly, should kill at exactly the same speed. The H3 is a little harder to test, since at maximum range you'll probably be arcing your shots and converting some of the damage to falloff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom