• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2's rank system

GearWax

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
KoopaTroopaBloop
Please tell me I'm not the only one who LOATHES the new system.
You can reset all your progress on the rank if you lose too much.
You benefit from streaks, which is something I've ALWAYS hated in any game.
It makes it so much easier to drop ranks than before, and that's why I hate it so much.
Anyone else feel the same way?
Keep in mind I hate it so much that I'm typing this AFTER skipping a rank in Tower Control.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
I hate it because you just grind to level up; I've never actually leveled down. S+ doesn't mean anything anymore.

Padre

Pro Squid
Any ideas what would fix the problem?
I dont care about the rank. There just isn't a reliable way to describe player skill anyways in a game where you are just a part of the solution.
At the moment rank just shows you the dedication of the player and thats fine.
:)

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
No, it's the absolute opposite. It's way too easy to keep your rank, but i do agree it's horrendous in it's current state.

Think about it, in S1 whenever you rank up you start at 30 points. It takes 3 losses to go back down(6 if you are S or higher). In S2, you need 7-8 losses to go back down. And if you snag 3-ish wins before you reach that mark, you will not only keep your rank but start off with a few extra points. This system is so busted that sometimes it's more productive to throw games once you get 3 cracks just to reset the failure gauge.
This is not even getting in the idea of jumping ahead of ranks, which seems to happen way too often.

Bear in mind i do talk about estimates, because for some reason the amount of points you get is completely random at the end of it.

It really just caters to players who never had the dedication to become S+ but felt like they deserved it somehow. The end result is A- skill players playing in the same lobbies as actual S+ people.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Any ideas what would fix the problem?
I dont care about the rank. There just isn't a reliable way to describe player skill anyways in a game where you are just a part of the solution.
At the moment rank just shows you the dedication of the player and thats fine.
:)
Dont see how else it could be fixed other than moving the 'OK' threshold closer to the end in S+. It really is too easy to maintain rank with it being so low. This not only lets players rank up when they dont deserve it, but also makes it easy for them to maintain. This makes it less rewarding in comparison to Splatoon 1. Having said that, Splatoon 1's rank system was not perfect, but it was still far more indicative of a player's actual skill. Now it just feels like a grind. The chance of deranking is just too low.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Everything about Splatoon's leveling/ranks whatever kinda sucks. Ranked modes are the game modes where winning or losing feels (to me at least) like the most dependent on your team, and THAT'S the modes they decide to do a personal ranking for.

Same goes for EXP. It should depend on how good YOU did, not your team. Why isn't EXP just a combination of how well you inked, and your splat/splatted ratio? If some jerks on my team decide to squid party, I get punished for that.

Saturn

LFT mid range, former xlt
NNID
Saturnity
Switch Friend Code
SW-7252-9309-8314
It really just caters to players who never had the dedication to become S+ but felt like they deserved it somehow. The end result is A- skill players playing in the same lobbies as actual S+ people.
Ultimately, the game matchmakes based on some kind of ELO system. The problem is that there are not enough S+ players on at a time to separate "A- level" and "S+ level" players.

I feel like the players are just worse right now, probably because they're not as familiar with all the new maps, new specials, and changed weapons. I don't want a system where there are way less people than we have right now. It's already a nightmare finding even turf war games in the dead of night.

It looks like Nintendo intended this S+ to be a larger pool of "ok, you get what the game is" players that gets sorted out by powerlevel once there are enough people. It explains why they filled out S+ with sixteen times the individual ranks of other tiers.

Last edited:

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
It is much harder to lose the rank. However: I can't say that the skip rank mechanic is broken at all. I skipped from C- to B- (C- to C+ in TC and Rainmaker) and from B+ to A (except Rainmaker). And now I am in S+ everywhere (Doesn't mean that S+ isn't S+ anymore). I never reached S+ in Splatoon1, only S. BUT Not enough "real" S+ are here. So S+ is still getting harder (at least thats how I feel).

So again: the differences between Splatoon1 and Splatoon2
  • No more points
  • Winning will fill up the meter
  • Losing has a chance of adding a crack to your meter
  • If you reach 4 cracks, your meter breaks. If you reached the OK threshold at this point, you just lose a punch of points, otherwise you de-rank
  • S+ now has numbers: S+0 to S+50 which are 51 ranks with the rank S+. It is still possible to skip ranks in S+.
  • De-ranking in S+ will reset you to S+0 regardless of how big the number next to S+ is (De-ranking in S+3 will de-rank you to S+0 NOT S+2)
  • S+ is NOT seperated: An S+0 player can meet an S+50 player

This is how I think the system is working.

Saturn

LFT mid range, former xlt
NNID
Saturnity
Switch Friend Code
SW-7252-9309-8314
Do we have confirmation that losing rank at S+50 sets you back to S+0? I'm aware it does that at other ranks, but that's when the OK bar is at 1/3rd, not 100%.

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
I'd say that not only is skipping ranks just fine, but also that it is a necessary patch to prevent goobers from purposely ranking down (or creating alts) just to beat up on less skilled players. Half of the lower rank lobbies were filled with excellent S/S+ players by the end of Splatoon 1, which was ridiculous. No noob is going to want to continue to play when they are getting destroyed game in and game out by people who should be in a higher rank, and that is a terrible way to try to grow the player base.

Also, it seems I'm in the minority but I don't mind the ranking system in Splatoon 2 all that much. I'm not saying it's better, but I also don't believe it's any worse. I was S+ in 1 and always had the sneaking suspicion that it was Rainmaker and TC keeping me there, because I just wasn't quite as good at Zones. Now, wadda you know, I'm S+ in Rainmaker and TC and S in Zones, which is exactly what I thought I actually deserved in 1.

I also agree with Saturn in that there aren't that many players yet, and those there are aren't as good as they where in 1 given how little time we've all had to adjust. I suspect that as more players come in and get better that the skill in S+ will improve. Mind you that I don't think it's bad at all right now.

Last edited:

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
I like the separated ranks, and I like the rank skipping system.

I'd say I liked the old system better since it was more punishing, but I don't hate the new system. I just dislike the continued trend that how much you gain seems sort of arbitrary on how severe or generous you get penalized/awarded.

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
Do we have confirmation that losing rank at S+50 sets you back to S+0? I'm aware it does that at other ranks, but that's when the OK bar is at 1/3rd, not 100%.
No but why losiing Rank S+3 falls back to S+0.

Back to the system: I would not be able to stay in S+ in Splatoon1 but I am in Splatoon2 (in S+ you lose more points than you win) and I have like more loses than wins in the last 50 matches (If they wouldn't be filled up almost entirely with splatfest matches for now). So yeah I would lose S+ in Splatoon1 almost instantly but I'm still able to hold S+ in Splatoon2 without any problems. I don't want that since it starts feeling like S+0 - S+3 is S in Splatoon1.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
I don't mind being able to skip ranks - if you get through a rank without losing a single match then you should obviously be much higher - but what was wrong with just normal numbers from S1?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Every day I feel more and more vindicated in my decision to never touch ranked. The S+ number system is probably supposed to be bragging rights, but can it really be bragging rights when the system is pure chaos?

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Ranked is probably more fun if you just ignore the rank altogether and play it for the modes. Sure, you should definitely still be trying to win but the ranking itself is meaningless. It's literally a grind up and down, there's no placement matches or anything like that so it actually just means nothing except how much you were willing to grind and your luck in matches. It's definitely not a very serious mode, even if it claims to be.

Berry

Senior Squid
NNID
BlazzBerry
Something needs to be done with the weapons in ranked matchmaking. Two tri sloshers and a nzap on one single team is equal to fighting 4v8. For ranked, this could easily throw away a match.

Also shoutout to all the people who've been in teams with 3 to 4 of the same weapon. E.g 3 splatterscopes, 4 charger weapons excluding splatlings, 4 tri sloshers on the same team. :l

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Ranked is probably more fun if you just ignore the rank altogether and play it for the modes. Sure, you should definitely still be trying to win but the ranking itself is meaningless. It's literally a grind up and down, there's no placement matches or anything like that so it actually just means nothing except how much you were willing to grind and your luck in matches. It's definitely not a very serious mode, even if it claims to be.
I prefer League, myself. If I'm gonna suffer through matchmaking chaos, I'll do so with friends :P

Reactions: Lyn

Cyan

Inkling Commander
Every day I feel more and more vindicated in my decision to never touch ranked. The S+ number system is probably supposed to be bragging rights, but can it really be bragging rights when the system is pure chaos?
I pretty much agree on Ranked being in a worse state than it ever was in Splatoon 1. Both games have the exact same issue of automatically pushing you out of lower ranks and eventually edging you towards S rank, but now with Splatoon 2 we can skip upwards faster and have a pretty easy time of not deranking. I've had way too many situations occur when I get put in Danger! (of course indicating the next loss is a 4th crack and a derank) and then literally crawled into OK and had it crack a game or 2 later. This essentially becomes a flytrap, people who get into ranks they aren't entirely ready for manage to luck out and stay there for ages, pushing others up to ranks they don't belong in, and they do the same thing to the people they play with, they scrape wins to OK every single time, lose, reset their progress and push more people upwards.

In Splatoon 1 you could say the same between how easy C- to B was with ranking where wins always gave you more points than defeats (C- kicks you out with +20/-10). The same thing happened there, but it took a lot longer because it you actually had to hit 100 points to score a rank up, and losing 5 matches would deplete 50 points for the most part. Now you can lose 5 matches and have 2 cracks, with the 6th match most likely being a 3rd crack, but you still only need 1 or 2 more wins to rank up, no progress was lost. So for the most part Splatoon 1's ranking system kept skill levels more balanced at first. I was a solid B/B+ for the first few weeks of Ranked, then bounced between B+ and A-, and around the time of 2.0.0 launching I climbed up to A+, and broke into S in September. I first hit S+ there in October or November (most likely November), and S+ totally felt like a place where the best of the best played.

As time went by and more people eventually got pushed into S (some might have gone for S+), they stopped playing Ranked, did Squads, turned around to their friends and said "I can help you get to S if you play Twin Squads with me, S and S+ don't have rank affected there so I can get you to A+99!" which started the trend of carrying lesser players into ranks they don't belong in, which pushes other people up to the next ranks they don't belong in. Some of those people carried to S attempted going for S+, they might have lucked out and got there, they might have cheesed a ranked mode to get there or they were able to learn how to play as an S and made to S+ after a long while struggling. The majority of carried players stopped at S and stuck to Squads, but the damage was still done for those who went back to solo. I can tell you now that I felt the quality of S+ degrading over time, and you were getting seriously unbalanced matches where all the amazing S+ players were on one team and up against lesser skilled S+ players who got lumped with the carried players who don't belong there.

As of right now, Splatoon 2 is at the point that the first game is now regarding Ranked. League Battles replaced Squads, which was a good thing, but we still have the issue of S+ being all over the place with skill. The ping based matchmaking doesn't help either because the Japanese were a hard counter to Westerners being able to get into S and S+ if they truly didn't deserve it yet. Splatoon 2's ranking system is more of a "how long you played" than Splatoon 1's (which was already like that). The only way to know you were an S or S+ was if you got there fairly early on in 2's lifespan (which I managed to do). I don't believe in the argument that S+ players aren't as good at this game as 1, because it handles the exact same, only differences being maps and weapon kits (all new specials and a few new subs). Overall the fact that S+ is easy is due to playing with Westerners non-stop and let's be honest here, we all know our player base generally lacks any real skill at this game.

The real mess shines through when you get paired with competitive players in a lobby and you're one of the only people that adapt and don't get dominated whilst your team throws themselves at them over and over, never learning. The rank system won't be fixed, and it's certainly not an improvement over the first. It's essentially little more than a "everyone's a winner" approach to letting the entire world and their dog hit S+ if they play long enough, it's not a matter of if, just a matter of when and that's just going to make Ranked super pointless and a waste of time. What's the point in being S+ if the matches will play like B ranks in a few month's time? It'll just be you dominating matches or getting dominated because one team will be so low skilled in comparison to the other, leading to dull and repetitive matches. It obviously means League Battles are the way to go, because they do placement matches and try to match players of similar Power together so matches are more balanced and less likely to swing one way with little effort on the winning team's part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom