• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 3 Think tank

What would like to see added to Splatoon 3

• Total voters

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
So it been a while since I have played Splatoon 2 and honestly I decided I revitalize this old thread I posted and kinda revamp it a little taking a little more of an objective look at the parts of splatoon 2 that I would like to see changed going foward

*I had done this before with splatoon 2 think tank and had lots of fun with it so why not get the think tank brewing again?

Complaints:
Before you get upset this is more or less just a look at what I feel should be improved going
forward

I love splatoon 2 and honestly it is a great game but there are some areas where I wish that more was added to the game hopefully these can be address in the future

Salmon Run
This was such a unique mode to Splatoon and I love having the PvE style battles however they though interesting were repetitive especially since the times the shifts were available were random
Weapons never changed on that shift, nor did the map, and no new enemies outside of the ones introduced at start ever added to the mod
My sugggestions

• Add multiple maps types to each shift making simply put it will help maps and prevent staling the overall gameplay
  • Add more enemies, even vanilla, have slamons with jetpacks that hover around, or ones with various types of weapons, and add more bosses
  • 8 player PvE mode more players larger maps would make this so much more fun to play

My Dream:
I would love to see a full on raid event for Splatoon 3, where instead of defending a point, you have to reclaim a point from the Salmonoids or from rouge octolings fighting through waves of enemies in a story sized map to fight a boss at the end

Game Modes
Again is already alot at base, however they only added 1 new mode from launch and honestly that mode is really fun and creative and I had wished they would add more to both the ranked and the casual side of splatoon in the future

My Suggestions:

• Casual Mode Invisible Ink: you can't see the map at all, instead you have to paint and gradually fill in an invisible map, would be played similar to turf wars but with an extra touch to make it unique
  • Custom stage builder: let us have a shot at making our own stage with some of the resources already in game it would allow for the artistic side of splatoon to come to the forefront or at least make some interesting scenarios
My Dream
  • Classic Arena mode: have a group of mobs go from a spawner and attack turrents along the map, players must destroy the turrents and the enemy spawner to win
  • Boss rush mode Inkling must compete to see who can take out the most salmonids bosses, defeating them and taking the eggs to a basket similar to Salmon Run however enemies can steal eggs from your basket as well
Lastly I have mentioned this in the past but I want a weapon swapping mechanic in Splatoon 3 where players can swap weapons mid battle to change up their playstyle I feel it would add so much more to the game having this in
Like imagine being a charger who can switch to an inkbrush to repositon or support their team in map control, or blaster who can switch to a brella based weapon to better support an objective
Would it be balanced, possibly not but it could add so much to the entertainment value and strategy of the game and honestly I would love that

Last edited:

Cephalobro

I'm gonna keep mentioning this until it spreads around to the point where developers at least think about implementing it: Lobby-exclusive companions, I have mentioned examples and this could be the next step for the lore of Splatoon to make the lobby that much more varied in what sea creatures you find. Octarian companions like Octotroopers, Octocopters, etc. could be unlocked after the main story mode while the more basic ones like sea turtles, fish and anemones could be available from the start. My lore-related reason is that participants of ink battles are starting to obtain popularity themselves because everyone wants to be friends with them. My idea is that they would follow the player character around the lobby and they would appear following Inklings/Octolings of players who chose to have one following them.

My idea for a special Salmon Run would be an 8-player Salmon Run where players can pick a weapon and upgrade it for that session by using Power Eggs, players can acquire help from a few Octarians by placing them in the stage. This could effectively be used to keep crucial points more or less clear from common Salmonids.

Last edited:

banyochan

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6259-3813-8693
Being able to have multiple load-outs (and sets specific to each mode) would make switching gear much smoother. Also, being able to change weapons when respawning would make battles more dynamic. Being able to change your dominant hand to replace right side with left side peeking would add more variables to combat.

Also, I hope they give up on voice chat for good, as S2's official voice chat feature (and the idea of a smartphone app with exclusive features) is just dumb. The way it's implemented right now is an embarrassment, and they would be better off not trying in the first place. I'd also love to see less loading screens when moving to things like equip menu and out of it, a way to skip Off the Hook (which feels like a punishment for quitting out of S2 or staying in Inkopolis square during a rotation change), and a quick way to check current locations and browse information after a match. A minigame playable when waiting for a match would also be nice, as sometimes it can take minutes to get a full team. I'd also love to have a way to send friend requests from the game, as Nintendo's online services are notoriously clunky, and seeing drawings of friend codes is just sad.

Don't even get me started about the idea of keeping things like user rank in a save file that can't be backed up, Nintendo is asking for trouble with this one, and it's the second time they did it. I hope the third time is the charm.

Also, with Switch being a portable system, a way to toggle between analog and motion controls on the fly should be a must, as right now changing these settings is clunky, and I can imagine people getting annoyed because they get in a car which renders motion controls useless, even if they're objectively superior. More options for tweaking controls would be also welcome (clicking right stick for special is simply insane, and it's easy to do it accidentally when using Joycons).

Also, fleshing out offline functionality would be great. Proper battles against a team of Octarian bots, and being able to play Salmon Run solo (which would make it a lot harder, as dying results in a crew wipe) would make a lot of sense with a mobile system.

I also wish performance targets were sane outside of actual gameplay. Targeting 60 FPS in shops and everything but Inkopolis Square makes little sense, as the visual quality drop is significant, and gets in the way of checking out how gear you're buying looks like.

Cephalobro

Servers should be the priority when making Splatoon 3's multiplayer, it's unbelievable how many times I have seen laggy players getting artificial advantages in many matches I have played. I know servers cost money, but I think that they should prioritize saving their new franchise from getting bad reputations about the multiplayer part of it. That and have a way to permaban game throwers because those are the worst kind of people I see in Splatoon 2.

Spraylan

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JonasOrtega
The big thing, in my opinion, is that modes need their own maps. No more layouts straining to support 5 different rulesets with just minor changes.

Last edited:

crows

Inkster Jr.
Premium
Pronouns
they/them
Switch Friend Code
SW-6103-0887-9214
The big thing, in my opinion, is that modes need their own maps. No more layouts straining to support 5 different rulesets with just minor changes.
That's a pretty bold opinion, and would probably be a controversial change. Personally, I've thought that maps could use more change for each mode. Keeping the general theme and such of a stage, while altering the layout to better accommodate a different mode. The trouble would be making sure it still felt like the same stage, while simultaneously altering it enough that it would suit the mode. An unconventional but great example of this, in my opinion, is the MC.Princess Diaries stage from Final Fest, which is adapted from the Phase 8 - Turf War stage from Octo Expansion. The stage layout is completely changed to better suit traditional Turf War, but it retains the same aesthetics, time-based progression, and of course the Hyperbombs and Princess Cannon. I doubt we'll see as much difference between modes on maps that are made solely for online battles, but differences close to that degree would allow for stages to be much better balanced to their mode. The biggest problem with this would be some stages failing to have their own distinct identity, as many people remember stages based on their layout (i.e. Mall is the long straight path, Pit is a wide open space).

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I'm all for being able to save specific loadouts, but being able to switch between them mid-game would be game-breaking and disastrous. Something that sets Splatoon apart from other shooters is the concept of "team comps" where you have to plan out a strategy before the game starts and build a comp around it. If you were able to switch weapons mid-game, a lot of the strategy would fly out the window. The game would rely less on effective, strategic planning and execution and more on "we're losing everyone switch to (insert meta weapon here)".

Other than that, I'd just like some simple UI and quality of life stuff. Skipping the news, showing your abilities under your special meter, that kind of stuff.

I'd love it if they removed the damage up from Main Power. I'd also like to see a mix of new and old specials, as well as some new ones of course.
Here's what specials I'd like to return:

Killer Wail
Tentamissiles
Inkstorm
Bubble Blower
Inkjet
Kraken (with reworks)
Bubbler (with reworks)

Have all the subs return, but combine Point Sensor and Toxic Mist into Toxic Sensor.

As for maps I'd pick:

Walleye Wherehouse
Kelp Dome
Camp Triggerfish
Hammerhead Bridge
Mahi Mahi Resort
Bluefin Depot
Maybe Port Mackeral
Manta Maria
Inkblot Art Academy
New Albacore Hotel
Starfish Mainstage
Musselforge Fitness
Wahoo World

Either bring back the original Duel Squelcher, or create another weapon that functions identically to it (cough Sharkshooter cough).

banyochan

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6259-3813-8693
New I'm all for being able to save specific loadouts, but being able to switch between them mid-game would be game-breaking and disastrous. Something that sets Splatoon apart from other shooters is the concept of "team comps" where you have to plan out a strategy before the game starts and build a comp around it. If you were able to switch weapons mid-game, a lot of the strategy would fly out the window. The game would rely less on effective, strategic planning and execution and more on "we're losing everyone switch to (insert meta weapon here)".
It's always possible to rip off the idea of having class quotas like on some servers in Team Fortress 2. The game could simply refuse you to be the 3rd charger on the team, but I'd be all for more reactive matches rather than risking having a team with a better composition that will just spawn camp you or make it impossible to win on Moray Towers, especially when you don't play with friends you can chat with, and the rest of your team keeps rushing when they have major disadvantage that will just get them all splatted over and over.

Speaking of random players, there should be skill brackets for Salmon Run, as it's not fun to lose your rank again and ruin your streak because the team you've got thrown into doesn't know what you're supposed to do with eggs, and people don't seem to use communication in general, and you don't even know where salmonids are, or where downed allies are. Being able to add friends and block/report in game without an app would be great as well, but Nintendo isn't known for decent social features in their online services, so that would be too much to ask for. I'd also love to be able to post on Inkopolis Square without social media accounts.

Also, I'd add a way to disable dodge rolling on dualies, or bind it to another key. There are cases where I would die using dualies because I meant to jump while shooting, and the whole class makes little sense to me considering how much precision it requires to maximize damage output, and that it throws the right-side peeking advantage out the window.

Cephalobro

I feel like some Dualies don't deserve the rolling ability, whether it becomes a liability for the user or is simply too strong with it, I feel like it should be only done when balanced.

MillenniumAspen

Inkling
Kinda been said already, but something I've always wanted was for something to do while waiting in the queue for enough players to start a match. Maybe make it so players can recon a map together while waiting, without the constraints of a match. Would be much better than staring at the screen for what can sometimes be for several minutes. Might help prevent people from going AFK too. I tend to notice players pausing at the start of matches, likely because they walked away from the Switch because the wait was so long.

It would also be nice to have some more substance to single player modes. Think along the lines of Octo Expansion, but it would be the main game.

Cephalobro

I'm hoping for a lore-focused single-player mode this time around, they should also stop generalizing species because Inklings and Octarians aren't like black and white.

I would also like for them to blur the line of separation of species even more, this was started by seeing Marina in Inkopolis and became even more blurred as a result of other Octolings coming to the city. Now the next step to blur the line of separation is to let the tentacle Octarians live in Inkopolis.

It's already obvious that there are Inklings who know Octolings are Octarians, namely Cap'n Cuttlefish and it can be presumed that Agent 3 and 4 also know that, so it's only a matter of time before that fact spreads around Inkopolis.

Merch_Andise

Inkster Jr.
NNID
solarOddity
Switch Friend Code
SW-1239-4877-3880
i have a multitude of things that i'd like to see implemented into splat3, but something that might be interesting is the ability to play ranked modes without it being ranked.

They could probably just re-name "ranked" modes as "objective" modes, so you could play either "Ranked Objective" or "Casual Objective"

Casual objective would just be ranked modes, but your rank isn't on the line. You aren't punished for losing, you aren't rewarded for winning (aside from some money and exp)

And Ranked objective would be exactly the ranked modes that we have now.

This would be really beneficial to both casual and competitive players, as casual players can now freely play objective modes without worrying about their rank, and competitive players can practice in a specific mode without a penalty for failure.

banyochan

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6259-3813-8693
This would be really beneficial to both casual and competitive players, as casual players can now freely play objective modes without worrying about their rank, and competitive players can practice in a specific mode without a penalty for failure.
The problem with that is that you would not use rank to group people on similar skill levels, and you'd end up with lopsided matches with a team of high level players (maybe even playing together as a group of friends) against a team of people who are still learning how to play the game. This would be about as infuriating as freelancing in Salmon Run, where your team might not be even aware of the objective and do nothing of value.

I'd say a hidden rank in every mode, even turf war would make the game much more enjoyable, as you would end up playing with and against people you stand a chance against.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
A few of these ideas are good but Splatoon does not have the users to have that many multiplayer options. Lots of empty or timed out lobbies would be the norm I think.

crows

Inkster Jr.
Premium
Pronouns
they/them
Switch Friend Code
SW-6103-0887-9214
I'd say a hidden rank in every mode, even turf war would make the game much more enjoyable, as you would end up playing with and against people you stand a chance against.
A proper matchmaking system for Turf War would be incredible. Lobbies seem to be entirely first-come first-serve in Regular Battles, which leads to players who haven't even played a match yet being matched with players who have prestiged multiple times. While calamaro's mention of the relatively small userbase is valid, I believe that Turf War ranking would not have this issue as long as it prioritized players with a close rank, not necessarily the same rank. The optimal but implausible option would be allowing players to set what to prioritize when matching with other players (close rank, connection quality, etc.)

Cephalobro

They should allow you to display your weapons in some kind of case. That could be something worth having for completionists to do that doesn't involve random chance at all.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
A small thing I would think would go a long way would be, adding the ability to choose if your Inking is right or left handed.

I think even from a nuanced perspective, this would be big. The simple act of allow the player to be left handed opens many opportunities for people to find different places to left side peak where you weren't able to before. This is also a bit of a minor counter to laterally symmetrical maps, now that anybody can be either left of right handed, can potentially capitalize on both starting points.

Cephalobro

New Salmon Run modes would be nice to have, as well as some complexity like being able to use Power Eggs to get upgrades to your weapons much like the Hero Modes do, but in Salmon Run, the weapons wouldn't become OP, instead they would have a positive quality and a negative one. For example, if you want to upgrade your roller to crush any type of Salmonid you run over, you can, but the swing speed would be decreased.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I'd like some small-ish weapon changes. I don't think Dualie weapons should get a killtime buff after dodge rolling. Dualies already get a massive advantage on other weapons during combat and they shouldn't also be able to kill much faster.

Blaster shots should immediately dissipate once the player wielding it dies. As it is now, a weapon's bullet will continue to fly through the air towards its target, resulting in more trades than I think are necessary. This is not too bad with most weapons, but it feels obnoxious and wonky when fighting Blasters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom