• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon Amiibo = $10 Pay Wall for Content???

SpotterX4

Inkling
NNID
SpotterX4
So there are two main reasons to buy amiibo: collecting and game content. For the Splatoon amiibo, I want to buy them primarily for the game content (They look cool, but the game content is what's pushing me to buy one).

Thinking about the amiibo content got me thinking: If amiibo didn't exist, would the content simply have been an on-disc challenge mode? It seems kinda ridiculous to buy amiibo for ~1 hour of content. What are y'all's opinion on the amiibo content? I'm still gonna buy one (probably the boy inkling), but it still doesn't quite sit well with my wallet. :/

redadil4

Inkster Jr.
NNID
leatherbelt
Depending on the amiibo, you will be able to use it in multiple games, so that sort of cheapens the price. You're right that this is essentially on disc DLC, but sometimes that's not bad. In MP10 it was $40 for 2/3 of the game, buy an amiibo and it makes it $53 for the full game. It's only bad if it's needed for a story or an expansion pack or something integral to the game. As for Splatoon, I don't think it's a big deal because all it adds is a mission mode, that's not integral to the game and that doesn't really give you an advantage against other people.

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
Here I am paying for Xbox Live Gold, just to play online, and Nintendo comes and releases a neat lil figurine that gives you bonus modes, costumes and a collectible for very cheap.

It's not that bad for how much you are getting.

Last edited:

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
Well the bright side is that if you just want the unlockables, you can probably resell the amiibo to someone else once you're done unlocking stuff. There are likely other people out there too who are mainly interested in the unlockables and would be willing to buy an open box amiibo.

Or if you know someone that has the amiibos you can just borrow them for a bit until you've finished unlocking stuff.

RotomGuy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RotomGuy
I personally love the figurine aspect. I have a Charizard Amiibo that hasn't even touched the GamePad yet, I just love a mini 3D Charizard on my shelf. The game content is really just a bonus for me.

I'm getting all three Splatoon Amiibos. I'm getting the Squid for its in-game costume unlock, and the Boy and Girl because I love their figures.

SpotterX4

Inkling
NNID
SpotterX4
Well the bright side is that if you just want the unlockables, you can probably resell the amiibo to someone else once you're done unlocking stuff. There are likely other people out there too who are mainly interested in the unlockables and would be willing to buy an open box amiibo.

Or if you know someone that has the amiibos you can just borrow them for a bit until you've finished unlocking stuff.
Sadly I'm the only one in my group of friends who are interested in Splatoon. :( Hopefully I'll convince them otherwise once I show them the game.

Anyways, it's not really the price that bothers me; I just wanted to start a convo on how Splatoon's only "paid DLC" is being handled. Looks like no one is really bothered, which is cool.

Gideonsmash

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Gideon1999
Sadly I'm the only one in my group of friends who are interested in Splatoon. :( Hopefully I'll convince them otherwise once I show them the game.

Anyways, it's not really the price that bothers me; I just wanted to start a convo on how Splatoon's only "paid DLC" is being handled. Looks like no one is really bothered, which is cool.
Oh, boohoo, you're the only one of your friends that is interested in Splatoon?!
Damn it, I am the only one I know who has a wii u, most of my friends still dont know what it is and I don't think any one of them has heard of Splatoon yet... fml here in the netherlands...

Sorry, random rant over

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
I'm hoping there will be extra uses for the Splatoon amiibo such as Mii suits for Mario Kart 8 or who knows what for future games. Plenty of possibilities! :)

I'm not sure if I'll end up getting them or not, depends on how rare they are.

Dubs

Inkster Jr.
NNID
dubspwns
I don't look at them as 'in-game content' because they are figures. You're buying collectible figures - the in-game stuff is just extra. The price tag on amiibo isn't too bad either. Though - I will agree they made them sound like they'd have more functionality than they actually do. I haven't been too impressed with the Smash functionality. The AI isn't much better than level 9 CPUs and it doesn't feel that special fighting your amiibo.

It'd be nice if they had some kind of Spotpass functionality. Maybe you could scan them in on your 3DS and have them play the Mii-minigames with you or something? Or when two amiibo get together they do something? I don't know.

TL;DR - amiibo are cool figures. In-game content is just a bonus. The functionality isn't really that great in any-game so far.

Nvader

Inkling
You have to remember that the rewards for completing the challenge areas are only cosmetic and don't effect multiplayer, which I think is the most important thing. If you want to consider it a paywall, fine, but compared to how much content is already in the game, I see it as fair. Besides, Nintendo has already confirmed they're working on a manufacturing amiibo cards that are more cost friendly. As for what games and when, who knows.

Gunster25

Pro Squid
In my opinion amiibos have much more content than other "DLC" of sorts, they normally work with multiple games which gives you hours more play time and usability. Also a lot of the time DLC does not even need to be downloaded or worked towards to be unlocked, it's just "Give us money and we'll unlock content which should have been in the normal game".

SpotterX4

Inkling
NNID
SpotterX4
Oh, boohoo, you're the only one of your friends that is interested in Splatoon?!
Damn it, I am the only one I know who has a wii u, most of my friends still dont know what it is and I don't think any one of them has heard of Splatoon yet... fml here in the netherlands...

Sorry, random rant over
Sorry if I hit a nerve there, man. To be fair, I think a lot of Wii U owners are in a similar boat, including myself. My "group of friends" mostly consists of 4 living under the same house sharing 1 console. All my other friends aren't even gamers, so whatever.

MrRoidley

Full Squid
I get the costumes being an amiibo thing, but putting 60 levels behind $39 worth of toys is just... Bad, imo
Sure, the Splatoon amiibo may get other uses, but I still think it's bad.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
amiibo is really frustrating, while most of the time I enjoy the figures, I always have the feeling someday they'll lock something I want in the game but I don't want to buy the amiibo to have. With Splatoon I'm "okay" with them because I wanted the figures, but I can imagine how frustrating it would be for someone who never wanted the figures to have to buy them to get extra missions, mini-games and costumes.

Specially as it is a read-only/unlock thing, which could be just DLC, if it was more engaging, saving something to the figure like Smash, I wouldn't be disappointed, but every "read-only" use to me feels bad.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
Never been a fan of amiibos they just a scam a cheap toy with a nfc figure that is content that could of been in game or cheap dlc.

MaikoRules

Full Squid
NNID
MaikoRules
I think this could be a problem if the special costumes have desirable/special abilities.
otherwise the price for the figures are worth it. but I'm a general amiibo collector

KilleenMachine

Senior Squid
NNID
kingosquirrels
Never been a fan of amiibos they just a scam a cheap toy with a nfc figure that is content that could of been in game or cheap dlc.
Not a scam, they are collectible figures that HAPPEN to do something in game, people don't buy smash amiibo to play the game with them they buy them because they are high quality official nintendo figures

Kiri

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mallowy
Amiibos are a weird thing because on one hand theyre ridiculously overpriced DLC for content that isn't very exciting.
On the other hand, they can be neat little collectables too (12$ for a statuette isn't too bad as long as you dont get stuck with a bad build quality one), have small bonuses in other games, and presumably you can share amiibos with friends in cases like this to unlock their content without having to spend money.

I think in general amiibo are sort of a mysterious venue that we cant really be solid on if theyre a good idea yet or not. Currently support for them is super limited and they need to release more games where the benefits of having them are more tangible.

That said, looking forward to rocking the schoolgirl outfit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom