• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon Gear Set Finder

Zauron

Inkling
http://goo.gl/5gZrj3

You put in what Abilities you want on your gear and it spits out what combination of Gear could get you those abilities (and how many Super Sea Snails you'll likely need to spend to roll the correct combination of Sub Abilities!). Hope someone here finds it useful!

If you prefer, someone else made a downloadable Excel-based version of the same thing, see thread for that one here: http://squidboards.com/threads/automatic-gear-customization.3298/

Krozo

Full Squid
NNID
KrozoMagnus
This sounds awesome! I'll check it out later.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Man, this is really convenient for checking my style and how I can improve on it! Fantastic work!

Zauron

Inkling
This morning I have added two new things to this tool for convenience:

1) When first loading the page, it will now list brand-specific sub-ability inclinations as a quick reference (I find myself often wanting to know this and since I now have this tool as a bookmark in my Wii U's browser, I find it handy to be able to quickly go to the Home menu, web browser, and see this info whenever I'm browsing through the gear I own).

2) When using "Anything" or "Anything (x3)" in your searches, above the table it will now list for you what abilities are the easiest to obtain as supplements to the ones you selected. This way, for example, if you know you want 5 abilities but you aren't sure what you want as the 6th, you can use "Anything (x3)" as your 6th ability, do your search, and then look at this list of what abilities would be easiest to get as the 6th one. Then you can put in whichever one seems most appealing to you as the 6th ability and do the search again to see only which gear would give that exact combination.

Last edited:

Zauron

Inkling
Another update:

* Removed some confusing options and just replaced them with a single "Deep Search Mode" checkmark box.

* Optimized searches that contain "Anything" slot requests, so hopefully they won't time out as often now.

* Filtered results of searches where only 1 or 2 gear pieces are actually needed to obtain all abilities to just say "Anything" in the remaining slot(s) rather than displaying every single other possible gear piece in the game for the remaining slot(s)

* Removed the restriction of needing a minimum of 3 actual abilities selected in order to do a search (so now you can, for example, select just 1 Ability to see every piece of gear that has that ability as an option, and the list won't be huge due to the above filtering).

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
This morning I have added two new things to this tool for convenience:

1) When first loading the page, it will now list brand-specific sub-ability inclinations as a quick reference (I find myself often wanting to know this and since I now have this tool as a bookmark in my Wii U's browser, I find it handy to be able to quickly go to the Home menu, web browser, and see this info whenever I'm browsing through the gear I own).

2) When using "Anything" or "Anything (x3)" in your searches, above the table it will now list for you what abilities are the easiest to obtain as supplements to the ones you selected. This way, for example, if you know you want 5 abilities but you aren't sure what you want as the 6th, you can use "Anything (x3)" as your 6th ability, do your search, and then look at this list of what abilities would be easiest to get as the 6th one. Then you can put in whichever one seems most appealing to you as the 6th ability and do the search again to see only which gear would give that exact combination.
Another update:

* Removed some confusing options and just replaced them with a single "Deep Search Mode" checkmark box.

* Optimized searches that contain "Anything" slot requests, so hopefully they won't time out as often now.

* Filtered results of searches where only 1 or 2 gear pieces are actually needed to obtain all abilities to just say "Anything" in the remaining slot(s) rather than displaying every single other possible gear piece in the game for the remaining slot(s)

* Removed the restriction of needing a minimum of 3 actual abilities selected in order to do a search (so now you can, for example, select just 1 Ability to see every piece of gear that has that ability as an option, and the list won't be huge due to the above filtering).
These additions are great! They are helping me out tremendously!

Zauron

Inkling
Someone let me know there was a bug in the latest version that made Swim Speed Up never available as a sub-ability due to an issue with the spreadsheet back-end. I have fixed this now. Sorry about that!

I also adjusted the Snails values to be a bit more realistic for typical attempts, using the formulas explained in this document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QnA8xaepy4psSonKUfKPJOQ3FOjUq9B2fPplb1KHqQY/edit

As a fun aside, the Snails costs are pre-generated by the Spreadsheet itself but I didn't bother putting them in by hand or anything - that way in the future when adding new Gear that comes out all one has to do is fill in the Name, Brand, Slots, Cost, and Main Ability and the spreadsheet will automatically fill in the rest of the data via formulas stored up in the header row. This is not the longest formula I've ever put in a single cell in a spreadsheet but its up there - this single cell's formula populates the majority of the data in the spreadsheets for each gear type:

=filter(if(row($B1:$B) = 1, Transpose(ArrayFormula(Abilities!A1:A)), arrayformula(round(iferror(2 - $C1:$C + (log10(0.5) / iferror(log10(1 - pow(vlookup($B1:$B, Brands!$A$2:$AC$18,column(I1:AH)-5,true),3)),log10(0.5))),999999)))),not(isblank($B1:$B)))

I just find spreadsheet formulas like that amusing ;).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom