• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon ink colors shades arranged in Rainbow Order

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
Hey squids,

You would think that there are only colours in Splatoon right but have you noticed that a lot of the colours have shades? Well allow me to show you:

As you scroll down, you can notice a rainbow pattern, props to Nintendo for doing something creative like this.

Last edited:

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
I can't notice the difference between some of these shades. Somethin' wrong with my eyes? Does my computer not have enough colours on iiittttt?

Next step is to get the RGB or whatever system you want for each of the colours.

Pinko

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pinkolol16
Well arranging them that way certainly brings those results.
Though it is pretty known that each of the colours is technically different even if it looks the same (all the pinks, oranges, blues etc.)

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
I can't notice the difference between some of these shades. Somethin' wrong with my eyes? Does my computer not have enough colours on iiittttt?

Next step is to get the RGB or whatever system you want for each of the colours.
Some people don't have very accurate color vision, most notably, females see a lot more shades than men, although I think infographics tend to exaggerate the difference, I mean I can tell some of the differences.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
What? Blue and Orange under Color Lock are their own shade? I need to go see this for myself. I thought it'd be the same as the signature blue and orange.

Some people don't have very accurate color vision, most notably, females see a lot more shades than men, although I think infographics tend to exaggerate the difference, I mean I can tell some of the differences.
There's also the idea that people who have hobbies and/or professions that require frequent usage of color, such as artists and interior designers, are more perceptive of minor color differences due to practice. This is something that's been confirmed by anthropologists (though I don't know if the same has happened in psychology). Not confirmed, however, is the idea that people perceive color based on whether they have words or phrases for specific shades in their language. (As an example, if this instance of the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis is true, a person who knows the words "carmine" and "scarlet" can tell those two shades of red apart more easily than someone who knows them both simply as "red.")

You wouldn't be able to get exact shades with those screenshots, but I'm sure color data exists in-game. The most commonly used color-naming system is Pantone, at least among artists and animators, though I'd guess that the HSVRGB system would be useful if you don't want to pay for a Pantone book. (And if you can't see the differences between some of these shades, as I explained above, it's most likely because you haven't practiced distinguishing between them enough.)

Ayasha89

Full Squid
NNID
Ayasha89
I thought my eyes had been playing tricks on me before. I knew I noticed some differences, even if just slight. Still maybe other colors could be added. (not black, red, or white) but new ones that aren't just the slightest shade different. If that can't be done, maybe a striped ink? Or polka dots. A pattern would definitely be fresh, if it's possible to design and implement.

Last edited:

Pinko

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pinkolol16
What? Blue and Orange under Color Lock are their own shade? I need to go see this for myself. I thought it'd be the same as the signature blue and orange.
No. In Colour Lock, Blue is Team A while the regular OrangeBlue has Blue as Team B. The CL blue particularly looks more like a very vibrant purple. Veeery slightly.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Well, I had been trying to document all the color combinations myself (though for personal reasons), and I hadn't realized there's one right under my nose I'd been missing.

Pinko

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pinkolol16
The data values from the game should help you with that.
Just keep in mind with some of the found ones that the neutral colours can be waaaaay off of what they found.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
If that can't be done, maybe a striped ink? Or polka dots. A pattern would definitely be fresh, if it's possible to design and implement.
That is literally the most ridiculous suggestion for this game I have ever heard. Even apartments sound more feasible.

Ayasha89

Full Squid
NNID
Ayasha89
That is literally the most ridiculous suggestion for this game I have ever heard. Even apartments sound more feasible.

lmao, literally? You are far too young to be using that word in such a serious, melodramatic post. If you were say, 70, 80, 90, I'd have no trouble believing that was true. That, in all your years of Internet use, that THAT was literally the most ridiculous suggestion.

Last edited:

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
lmao, literally? You are far too young to be using that word in such a serious, melodramatic post. If you were say, 70, 80, 90, I'd have no trouble believing that was true. That in all your years of Internet use, that THAT was literally the most ridiculous suggestion.
Sheesh, you don't have to take it so seriously. Sure, I've thrown words around without realizing they aren't the right words to use, but nobody's ever sparked a rant about it before.

Last edited:

Ayasha89

Full Squid
NNID
Ayasha89
Sheesh, you don't have to take it so seriously. I've thrown words around without realizing they aren't the right words to use, but nobody's ever sparked a rant about it before.
Sorry, your reply just sounded really condescending and a bit offensive. I never said it was a good or great suggestion, just a suggestion that would be different if they ever added to the variety of the ink. I know a bit bored with the current colors. Very slight differences in a shade of a color isn't counted as different colors to me.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Sorry, your reply just sounded really condescending and a bit offensive. I never said it was a good or great suggestion, just a suggestion that would be different if they ever added to the variety of the ink. I know a bit bored with the current colors. Very slight differences in a shade of a color isn't counted as different colors to me.
In my personal opinion, having some sort of pattern to it would just look out of place, if not straight-up ugly. And besides, the ink runs off of color codes, I believe hexadecimal, so the chances of it happening are pretty much zero.

Ayasha89

Full Squid
NNID
Ayasha89
Huh, you learn something new every day. I didn't know it had a code that probably wouldn't be compatible. I'm pretty ignorant on in depth coding and files and what not. In hindsight, I wouldn't have suggested if I knew before. Thanks for the info.

NNID
m0nkeyd0g
Hey squids,

You would think that there are only colours in Splatoon right but have you noticed that a lot of the colours have shades? Well allow me to show you:
This is crazy/awesome! I feel stupid now to have thought that there were only 8-10 colors in the game.:p

Also, how do you color lock?

Pinko

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pinkolol16
Every single solitary pairing in the game whether it be orange/blue, orange/blue CL, orange/cyan or blue/lime has a technical different shade in the colour value.

Options menu. You'll only get option vs (purple-blue vs orange) and option msn (a really bright yellow) as colours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom