• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon LAN/Local Tournaments Confirmed?

Comet Knight

Inkling
NNID
Ben.Y32
Switch Friend Code
SW-4425-2455-3224
So for those of you who missed the Splatoon section of the Nintendo Direct, here it is:

So now as you have watched, there will be a Splatournament being held (unfortunately only Nintendo Treehouse staff will be participating) but there's a little more to this. Near the end of the video the announcer says that tips and advice will be given about setting up your own Splatoon tournaments "locally and online".

What I am picking up is that there could possibly be a tournament mode for Splatoon (Hopefully better than Smash, lmao) and local tournament hosting or LAN capability? Maybe there could be offline multiplayer other than Battle Dojo, we have to wait a month to see, but for now we can only speculate. I'd like to know what you all think of this, what are your thoughts and/or ideas?

WydrA

Inkling Commander
So for those of you who missed the Splatoon section of the Nintendo Direct, here it is:

So now as you have watched, there will be a Splatournament being held (unfortunately only Nintendo Treehouse staff will be participating) but there's a little more to this. Near the end of the video the announcer says that tips and advice will be given about setting up your own Splatoon tournaments "locally and online".

What I am picking up is that there could possibly be a tournament mode for Splatoon (Hopefully better than Smash, lmao) and local tournament hosting or LAN capability? Maybe there could be offline multiplayer other than Battle Dojo, we have to wait a month to see, but for now we can only speculate. I'd like to know what you all think of this, what are your thoughts and/or ideas?
Spectator mode pls. this is all I want ;_;

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
I was thinking they were going to explain the connections required. such as needing a router to hook up with a wired connection, etc.
It's treehouse, they dont have the power to make spectator mode so don't get your hopes up. However Nintendo has been able to do locals in Japan which is why Im imagining they are going to explain how to put that together for us people in the community. This is actually something I've been hoping for. May not be Lan capability (please prove me wrong), but at least it sounds like is a way for some people to put together locals for their community.

Idk I suppose im just guessing, but Im SUPER thankful that treehouse is actually trying to help us out.

Holidaze

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
dyngledong
I imagine the electricity bill is going to kill someone with local tournaments, but it does sound interesting, can't wait to see how they explain it.

Static

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kevinjamesfan65
It's probably going to be some kind of tournament mode that mirrors the current Smash tournament mode?

DaBoss

Pro Squid
But we can do LAN stuff (with an Internet connection required for at least one Wii U) since the August update. This is how Nintendo does their local tournaments. The Koshien one was affected on Saturday (Sunday in Japan) when the servers went down cause LAN stuff actually requires an Internet connection (so it isn't true LAN).

I don't think they are adding a "tournament mode" or something like that.

CodyMKW

Pro Squid
NNID
CodyMKW
Switch Friend Code
SW-2549-4631-6600
if their adding an online tournament mode like smash and mk8 then one of the buildings in the plaza may be used for that I am thinking the building next to the arcade machine maybe

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
But we can do LAN stuff (with an Internet connection required for at least one Wii U) since the August update. This is how Nintendo does their local tournaments. The Koshien one was affected on Saturday (Sunday in Japan) when the servers went down cause LAN stuff actually requires an Internet connection (so it isn't true LAN).

I don't think they are adding a "tournament mode" or something like that.
it's more complicated than that. TO's have all been saying that hosting offline tournaments is not possible or at we don't know how. We have WLAN, LAN doesn't require internet. The problems occur that more than 1 wii u on a single venue's router is taxing. Believe me, I went to socal's first offline tournament and it was a disaster. we only had one setup (8 wii u's and 8 tv's) and we still couldnt get everyone into one private lobby. I was trying to help the best i could.

However Nintendo knows how to do it, as they done it for the japanese tournament. Which is why im assuming they are going to tell us how they did it so we can do it.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
Even if we know how to do it the expenses are absolutely ridiculous (even if we mandate people bringing their wii Us, which is a whole other problem), so it would require a big name to step in or for someone that really wants to do it to have a lot of capital. There are also a lot of other problems OC, some which are just normal for IRL tourneys, some that are splatoon centric.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Even if we know how to do it the expenses are absolutely ridiculous (even if we mandate people bringing their wii Us, which is a whole other problem), so it would require a big name to step in or for someone that really wants to do it to have a lot of capital. There are also a lot of other problems OC, some which are just normal for IRL tourneys, some that are splatoon centric.
yep, i know. which is why in an earlier post I mentioned that only some will be able to do it. I mean you only need a couple big offline tournaments to get the Splatoon name out there, build popularity, and hopefully inspire other communities to somehow figure out a way to do it.
But sadly it seems unlikely that treehouse would single in on those ppl and help them make tournaments. idk seems like it is ignoring the majority, and for how much time it would take to explain to us the process idk if they'd actually do it (really REALLY hope they do though). but yah im kinda on your boat, but im slightly more optimistic.

Charlight

Meme Spy
The way he worded it and the fact that this wasn't mentioned in the EU direct at all (meaning it's just a USA Treehouse thing) leads me to believe that this is just going to be them showing how to use private battles to do tournaments and probably sharing rulesets.

The 'both locally and online' part will most likely be pointing out how due to connections being P2P, LAN practically already exists - you just have to connect 8 Wii U's to a switch. No update could make it easier to host local tournaments, there's nothing stopping Splatoon LAN tournaments from being held right now.

DaBoss

Pro Squid
it's more complicated than that. TO's have all been saying that hosting offline tournaments is not possible or at we don't know how. We have WLAN, LAN doesn't require internet. The problems occur that more than 1 wii u on a single venue's router is taxing. Believe me, I went to socal's first offline tournament and it was a disaster. we only had one setup (8 wii u's and 8 tv's) and we still couldnt get everyone into one private lobby. I was trying to help the best i could.

However Nintendo knows how to do it, as they done it for the japanese tournament. Which is why im assuming they are going to tell us how they did it so we can do it.
Reading my post again, it seems to be worded poorly, so I apologize for that. I meant to say that offline tournaments are not possible right now. And Nintendo doesn't seem to be able to do offline tournaments as well. The example in my post was about that, the Koshien tournament was affected by the server outage this past Saturday (the one that affected Booyah Battle 4). Is there another tournament where it is known that Nintendo didn't require to be connected to the Internet?

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
The 'both locally and online' part will most likely be pointing out how due to connections being P2P, LAN practically already exists - you just have to connect 8 Wii U's to a switch. No update could make it easier to host local tournaments, there's nothing stopping Splatoon LAN tournaments from being held right now.
Well not really true. They could give us LAN, which is much better than WLAN in terms of not needing internet and dealing with the problems it entices. we only have WLAN, and we don't know how to get even a single setup (8 wii u's) under one venue. Here is a thread of mine describing the problems of socal's first offline tournament.
http://squidboards.com/threads/soca...rience-nintendo-really-needs-to-step-up.8838/

But yah that's why I think they are showing us how now.

Reading my post again, it seems to be worded poorly, so I apologize for that. I meant to say that offline tournaments are not possible right now. And Nintendo doesn't seem to be able to do offline tournaments as well. The example in my post was about that, the Koshien tournament was affected by the server outage this past Saturday (the one that affected Booyah Battle 4). Is there another tournament where it is known that Nintendo didn't require to be connected to the Internet?
Nope there isn't. All the places ive heard and in one case been to, they all used WLAN and connected the wii u's to a router.

Charlight

Meme Spy
Well not really true. They could give us LAN, which is much better than WLAN in terms of not needing internet and dealing with the problems it entices. we only have WLAN, and we don't know how to get even a single setup (8 wii u's) under one venue. Here is a thread of mine describing the problems of socal's first offline tournament.
http://squidboards.com/threads/soca...rience-nintendo-really-needs-to-step-up.8838/

But yah that's why I think they are showing us how now.
WLAN? What do you mean by WLAN?

I'll tell you exactly how to host a LAN tournament properly - just get a switch with 9+ ports, connect 8 Wii U's to it via ethernet and connect it to the internet. I'm not sure what you mean by 'They could give us LAN, which is much better than WLAN.' LAN stands for local area network, an example of this would be your computer, your mom's computer, your PS3, Apple TV all being connected to the same router/switch - they can transfer data over LAN, meaning they don't need an internet connection to transfer data. WLAN means literally just connecting to a LAN via a wireless connection, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Because there's no dedicated servers for Splatoon, the connections being P2P, this means that when the game starts you'll literally be playing over LAN. I assume you only need internet at the beginning to get everyone into the same private battle room.

Of course that tournament you linked was **** - they connected to a wireless network a billion people were already connected to. I don't know how they ever expected that to work.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
WLAN? What do you mean by WLAN?

I'll tell you exactly how to host a LAN tournament properly - just get a switch with 9+ ports, connect 8 Wii U's to it via ethernet and connect it to the internet. I'm not sure what you mean by 'They could give us LAN, which is much better than WLAN.' LAN stands for local area network, an example of this would be your computer, your mom's computer, your PS3, Apple TV all being connected to the same router/switch - they can transfer data over LAN, meaning they don't need an internet connection to transfer data. WLAN means literally just connecting to a LAN via a wireless connection, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Because there's no dedicated servers for Splatoon, the connections being P2P, this means that when the game starts you'll literally be playing over LAN. I assume you only need internet at the beginning to get everyone into the same private battle room.

Of course that tournament you linked was **** - they connected to a wireless network a billion people were already connected to. I don't know how they ever expected that to work.
hmmm i suppose I have heard some wrong information then.
My original thinking was that for LAN you need only hook up the wii u's directly to one another without the requirement of a router and there was the "no internet connecton". WLAN was that you need ethernet cords to hook up to the router which will use internet to receive the packets of information from nintendo (so, the use of internet).

But yep it seems that ethernet to router is in fact LAN. Huh... everytime I brought it up to a nintendo person they kinda made it seem like direct connection between the consoles and a direct connection through the router was different. welp.. thanks for clearing that for me.

So basically one router per setup (8 wii u's) is mandatory. And if we ever wanted to have more than one setup at a venue and we bring our own router. However unless they are super cool I would think the venue owners would not like us touching their internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom