• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon News Update: Announcements and Contests and Demos OH MY!

Welcome squids and kids! We've had a bunch of news coming in from all over and have a lot of things to cover. Let's get down to business to get this news out! Starting off, it seems that Japan will have another chance at a Testfire! This special event will take place from August 3rd through August 9th from 9AM to 10AM (JST). Players won't have access to all of the maps, weapons, and equipment but they will be able to play if they have the demo version installed.

Inkoming Stage: Camp Triggerfish! Lots of pictures and information has been put out for the stage through various official Twitter accounts and the official Splatoon Tumblr. These new maps will be in at the usual times:

– Europe: 4AM
– UK: 3AM
– North America (EDT): 10PM (July 24th)
– North America (PDT): 7PM (July 24th)
– Japan: 11AM

For more pictures and information be sure to check out the official Splatoon Tumblr post.

A rough translation: "A sketch was sent to us by a research lab worker. Seems like an Octoling... hang on, haven't we seen this one already...? Huh? Actually, looks like there's something a little different about it... Ah, aaahh! Aaaahhh!!!"

People are already speculating this may have something to do with Octolings being possibly playab le but there is no confirmation of any kind yet. Let the speculation heat up!

It looks like a special Art Academy contest with a Splatoon theme will be happening soon! From the official announcement on Miiverse:

"Hello everyone! MariChan here. Thank you so much for your outpouring of messages about Mr Iwata. Miiverse and everyone on it held a very special place in his heart, so I know he’d be very happy. Mr Iwata’s passing was an extremely painful time for all of us, but I feel like it’s our duty to carry on making Miiverse a fun and awesome place so we can keep his spirit alive! To that end, we’re planning a Splatoon drawing event. Look forward to more details in an announcement on the Art Academy Events community page on 31 July!"

To keep updated on this contest and all other Splatoon related news be sure to stay tuned to Squidboards! Thanks for reading everyone and be sure to stay fresh!

Comments

Ok! Can't wait to try the new de-oh wait....it's only for Japan
I also can't wait for camp triggerfish! Sounds like lots of fun! I also like the idea of floodgates on this map. If you look in one of the trailers, in camp triggerfish there's multiple long poles so it sounds like a sniper would be good on this map. I too, am speculating a playable Octoling, however, I just want Nintendo to make a male counterpart please? I wanna play as an Octoling but I wanna see the male version so I can play with the male version. I think the female one looks cool but I'd rather have a male one. Loving this news so far! So I'm just gonna sit back and wait for camp triggerfish. While I do that...

Let's gather around the campfire and sing our campfire song!

I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that Octolings weren't playable, but I would be very disappointed. But let's cross our fingers anyway and get on the hype train!

Our C-A-M-P-F-I-R-E S-O-N-G song and if you don't think that we can sing it faster, then you're wrong. But it'll help if you just sing along... Come on keep it going!

What is the point of a test fire again? The full game is released. Unless I am missing something here.

If Octo longs (auto correct changed Octolings to that, so I kept it for your amusement) become playable, then prepare for just about everyone using them. Although I find it humorous to imagine the Octolings wearing Inkling style clothing.

What is the point of a test fire again? The full game is released. Unless I am missing something here.

If Octo longs (auto correct changed Octolings to that, so I kept it for your amusement) become playable, then prepare for just about everyone using them. Although I find it humorous to imagine the Octolings wearing Inkling style clothing.
Just in case some people didnt buy it and want to give it another go. Itll probably have more content than the first Testfire.

I really should start the game soon °-°
I don't know... I'd only want playable octolings if they'd put male humanoid octolings in there too, not just females. But, let's see if this is really the case - maybe it's a larger singleplayer mode? (Which I would like to see)

Who says the clothes they wear are inkling style only? Only time we see them is when they are fighting in story mode and we are in a special fighting uniform too. Octolings could like to stay fresh too :P

Ok I'm not commenting on the (confusingly late) japan only testfire, unmasked octolings, nor the contest on miiverse. But FINALLY were getting Camp Trigger fish, and I know how to celebrate it...Ok I can't find a good Campfire Song Song video, sorry. :(

People act like they can't have demos for things already released. It is more for demo purposes than a server stress test.

Camp Triggerfish looks SO COOL! I expect it will favor rush-down tactics more than camping tactics due to the aesthetic making it look like it will either be an extremely open, flat space that is unfavorable to players reliant on hiding, such as snipers and the Krak-On Splat Roller or an extremely closed-off area that prevents easy sniping. Basically, if my guess is correct, don't get your hopes up if you exclusively play as a sniper or use chargers! I'm excited to see what it'll be like though!

So excited, august is going to be great although I just realized multiplayer with friends wont work if you don't have friends. damn, can't wait for new maps though and hopefully playing as octolings, be good if they had a male version or new hairstyles for inklings since I hate how the boy looks :/

I am very excited for all of this. I hope Splatoon keeps getting more and more popular which allows the exploration either new content or a Splatoon 2 in the future. Playing Octolings, more customizing, etc and etc.

Been waiting for Camp Triggerfish for a long time mainly for the aesthetics but then I learned of this floodgates mechanic which sounds awesome! Last map before we get into the "?" maps. Get hyped!

I'm hyped for the 10th stage and with the name "Triggerfish" in it. The stage looks very encouraging for aggressive, trigger splatty, rushdown plays.

If octolings are playable I am never going back even if they are only girls because my inkling is a girl. I'm sorry but this is the first game I use things based off of cosmetics.

Ok. Having had about an hour and a half with Camp Triggerfish, I can safely say that it is the most poorly balanced stage in the game. Basically, in a splat zones match, the team with the most octobrushes and squelchers wins. Why? Because the two splat zones are so close together that whichever team can get their squelchers to their splat zone quicker instantly has an unfair advantage, and then the octobrushes and any other non-squelcher players can hold back the opponent while the squelchers also kill from afar and take the splat zone from their own. It just isn't balanced and it means that the stage isn't very fun to play ranked on. I am sorely disappointed at the missed potential, as I had by hopes up that it'd be one of the best stages in the game.

edit: after a further few hours of testing, my opinion has swayed. I actually realky like the map for anything other than tower control now :)

Last edited:
I really should start the game soon °-°
I don't know... I'd only want playable octolings if they'd put male humanoid octolings in there too, not just females. But, let's see if this is really the case - maybe it's a larger singleplayer mode? (Which I would like to see)
That's what I was thinking. The Octoling, if it means anything, might mean a longer singleplayer mode.

This got me all hype.

Paint bucket -> Favorite weapon confirmed. So wacky.

Octolings possibly playable? LET'S GOOOOOOO

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom