• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon to allow 8 Wii Us to connect locally for Splatoon

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
http://gonintendo.com/stories/23928...-wii-u-consoles-to-connect-locally-via-intern

if this is true, splatoon LANs will finally be a thing, which is something that i and i know many other competitive players have been wanting

looking at the page for the splatoon update doesnt seem to mention anything about LANs, so i would take this with a grain of salt, but it seems to just be a brief announcement that only names a few of the many details of this update

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Hopefully this is true, because Splatoon needs LAN support badly. If so this is not only a step in the right direction, but a step towards competitive play similar to Melee.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Hopefully this is true, because Splatoon needs LAN support badly. If so this is not only a step in the right direction, but a step towards competitive play similar to Melee.
well it doesnt need to be melee to survive, but since release competitive splatoon has just been people pubstomping and hijacking ranked battle rooms. just private rooms between friends would actually let the competitive scene thrive like it so deserves to (there are some really really cool people on squidboards that are dedicated to exploring this game, such as the people at imperious) but if its true that splatoon is getting a LAN mode, then the game will have a scene both locally and online. it will, without a doubt, help the longevity of the game and its community.

Kowai Yume

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Kowai_Yume
So can we start bugging ESEA to have Splatoon at its LAN tournaments?

superman

Senior Squid
Splatoon had that capability all along because the games are hosted user side. No game information passes through Nintendo servers except for matchmaking and a NAT punchthrough.

It's more or less a pseudo lan mode where information is passed through the default gateway instead of the Wii Us sending things directly to each other like they would in a proper lan environment.

It also explains the weird wording in "local play through a single internet connection"

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Splatoon had that capability all along because the games are hosted user side. No game information passes through Nintendo servers except for matchmaking and a NAT punchthrough.

It's more or less a pseudo lan mode where information is passed through the default gateway instead of the Wii Us sending things directly to each other like they would in a proper lan environment.

It also explains the weird wording in "local play through a single internet connection"
yeah, splatoon relies on clientside information, from what i can tell. like when you're in a match with bad connection and get rolled, for example, it can take a few seconds for it to go through because you didn't get rolled on your side.

anyway, i do hope this is the half-LAN mode they used at venues like E3. it doesn't have to be true LAN, it just has to be serviceable. no lag, playable offline, all that. taking splatoon to an offline scene would help the game a lot

superman

Senior Squid
yeah, splatoon relies on clientside information, from what i can tell. like when you're in a match with bad connection and get rolled, for example, it can take a few seconds for it to go through because you didn't get rolled on your side.

anyway, i do hope this is the half-LAN mode they used at venues like E3. it doesn't have to be true LAN, it just has to be serviceable. no lag, playable offline, all that. taking splatoon to an offline scene would help the game a lot
Now you're mixing up client side hit detection and dedicated servers, they're not mutually exclusive ;)

I explained it better in the thread about lan mode

Sitri

Full Squid
NNID
SitriStahl
I don't get why this would have been a concern in the first place. Multiple Wii Us can connect to a single internet connection already, and we knew there would be private lobbies.
This doesn't fix the problems of players not having their own gear, or the venue's internet being good enough to support 8+ people playing at a time. Also wireless interference.

superman

Senior Squid
I don't get why this would have been a concern in the first place. Multiple Wii Us can connect to a single internet connection already, and we knew there would be private lobbies.
This doesn't fix the problems of players not having their own gear, or the venue's internet being good enough to support 8+ people playing at a time. Also wireless interference.
Use lan adapters :)

They dont use the internet for anything other than creating the Game. The Game itself is pretty much on lan

If they're saying you can run tournaments maybe that means there will be sets of default gear?

Sorry for the typos. On my phone and german autocorrect makes things hard :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom