• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon Veterans: Give some tips for new players!

jkid391

Senior Squid
HIYA
I have been playing the first game since it came out on March 29th, 2015, and I consider myself a Splatoon "veteran." With the launch of the Switch, I'm pretty sure many people who didn't own the original Splatoon or even a Wii U will start playing Splatoon 2, so I made this thread so veterans can give some tips for people that are new to the series!

Here are some of my own:
  • Don't ink walls. They don't count towards your team's turf in turf wars and are only really useful for mobility and hiding.
  • Press Y to reset your camera so you can hold your controller comfortably.
  • Play the single player campaign. It will help you get familiar to different weapons and the controls for the game.
  • Buy gear that has abilities that you like or that compliments your main weapon.
  • Don't focus on kills. Try to get a few of them, since it's helpful, but don't focus too much on them.
If you have any more, feel free to share them!

RacingGamer

Inkling
NNID
Robin99
Choose a weapon that suits the game mode and that suits you.
For example: for turf war and Splatzones I use Aerospray PG because of the burst bombs and Kraken. For Tower control I use Custom Range Blaster For Its Barrier as a Special and for its functionality to splat Squidkiddies around the corner.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Use the Recon function, by hitting Y in the lobby. This lets you walk around and inspect the current rotation's stages at your leisure. Even veterans overlook this function, and learning all the routes and little quirks of a stage is invaluable. Knowledge is power!

Switch Friend Code
SW-7067-7083-1429
I've also played the game since launch, and I second the above tips.

Even if you're very averse to motion controls, I heavily recommend giving the gyro controls in this game a try. They might feel a little wobbly at first, but given some time they'll very likely come to feel natural to you, and they allow you to pull off some maneuvers that are much more difficult without them. They're not absolutely necessary to be good at the game, of course, as there are indeed S+ players in Splatoon 1 that don't use them and do just fine, but I heavily recommend them.

Also, don't forget that you can try out weapons in the shooting range before you spend your money on them! Just press Y on the weapon you want to try in the shop.

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Give gyro controls a decent shot before you write them off. I have seen a lot of people default to sticks right away, and then they later try learning gyro after they are used to sticks, which makes things more difficult to learn later on. At least try to make them work in the beginning. If you are still not comfortable, then go to sticks.

Oh, and mess around with different sensitivities, find that sweet spot that lets you aim and be accurate with no issues.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Also I have analyzed mostly all the specials and a few weapons for vets and new squid alike, Especially regarding how to make effective use of them and some basic idea counter them.

Here is the link

MiceChaff

Inkling
Be creative with weapon choice! While it's super easy to continue using a "newbie" weapon forever, having a variety of competent weapons really helps long-term. For instance, try to grow out of the Splattershot as quickly as possible- and try picking up the Mini Splatling or the Splattershot Pro instead! It really kelps keeping the game fresh for everyone.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
YOU DON'T HAVE TO ALWAYS SUPER JUMP.
This is a major pet peeve of mine. Superjumping is a great mechanic, but you don't have to always use it each time you respawn. If you can clearly see that the person you're jumpin to is in a fire fight or deep in enemy territory/ink, don't jump. Just swim to the area. It might be a little slower, but your chance of survival is much higher this way, especially with quick respawn and stealth jump being nerfed (the comeback ability is really good at helping this). If there's only a few seconds left and you have to absolutely need to jump to push a tower or what have you, then go nuts. But please. Be mindful of superjumping.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
I have one that I notice was a problem in the first game...

Listen to your teammates call outs.

Mainly these two...

"This Way!"
- Consider following or super jumping to them. It likely means its safe, and they need your help to push!

"Ouch..." - Your teammate was just splatted. If this is near you...watch out! The enemy might get you next if your not careful. They also may be signaling out for you to take care of the offending enemy if they're causing a mess on the turf.

Don't ignore the calls, remember that.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
I have one that I notice was a problem in the first game...

Listen to your teammates call outs.

Mainly these two...

"This Way!"
- Consider following or super jumping to them. It likely means its safe, and they need your help to push!

"Ouch..." - Your teammate was just splatted. If this is near you...watch out! The enemy might get you next if your not careful. They also may be signaling out for you to take care of the offending enemy if they're causing a mess on the turf.

Don't ignore the calls, remember that.
Also play attention to "This way" and "booyah" when holding the rainmaker these are signals to direct you to safe route and away from danger or surprise attacks

Egg Queen

Full Squid
  • Don't shoot right at the ground; it's really unnecessary (unless it's a really small part, I guess).
  • For turf wars, try to avoid just inking straight ahead at the beginning of a match. Your main goal is to ink turf so spread your ink out as much as possible! (This is mainly for those who use a weapon that is made for inking, like a splattershot or something)
  • I know the map is kind of hidden now but don't forget to check it out every now and then! You might think that you're doing great but the other team could be inking up your territory!
  • Be aware of your surroundings! Try not to go right into enemy territory before checking it out and surrounding yourself with your own ink.
  • Not really a tip for being good or anything but I just wanted to encourage the idea of cheering on your teammates by saying booyah! It may not seem like much but I think it's fun and a cute way to show support :^) like hey booyah! You splatted the person that splatted me lol

ZosDaddyO

Inkster Jr.
Maybe this is just me, but...
Honor the Duel.
Basically if you see two inkbrush users (sometimes, but rarely rollers, mostly because leaving them alone can ruin your teams ink coverage) facing off, Do not assist. Ink everything else around them and everyone else around them, but leave them to it. There's nothing more sastisying then a test of skill and wit versus someone of equal skill, and nothing more annoying then your sniper team mate one-shorting them from across the field before it even starts. It may sound crazy, but once your comfortable enough with an Inkbrush, try it out. You'll understand.

P.S. if it's a ranked match, screw that and shoot anyone dumb enough to duel in a ranked match. Free turf.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Honor the Duel.
Basically if you see two inkbrush users (sometimes, but rarely rollers, mostly because leaving them alone can ruin your teams ink coverage) facing off, Do not assist. Ink everything else around them and everyone else around them, but leave them to it. There's nothing more sastisying then a test of skill and wit versus someone of equal skill, and nothing more annoying then your sniper team mate one-shorting them from across the field before it even starts. It may sound crazy, but once your comfortable enough with an Inkbrush, try it out. You'll understand.
As a Inkbrush user...this gave me a good laugh. I rarely cross paths with other inkbrush users, but when I do...I think we rarely get disturbed. its funny actually.

So yes, leave us to our dramatic duel- BAP-BAP-BAP-BAP-BAP!- *Splat SFX*

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Turf control is key in all modes of ranked. Keep your 'side' of the map inked up.
Ride the tower. Sure you dont want to pile on when a few people are riding but dont be afraid of it.
Try not to clump up with your team mates unless necessary. Multisplats are a killer.

Enjoy.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Turf control is key in all modes of ranked. Keep your 'side' of the map inked up.
Ride the tower. Sure you dont want to pile on when a few people are riding but dont be afraid of it.
Try not to clump up with your team mates unless necessary. Multisplats are a killer.

Enjoy.
To slightly add on to this, the tower moves a bit faster for each additional team member on the tower. Piling on isn't always safe, but if you pull off a team wipe or a similarly advantageous situation, you can get the tower to the goal that much sooner!

ZosDaddyO

Inkster Jr.
@ZosDaddyO
Excuse me in ranked most sacred of chargers battles are held and must be left undisturbed
Whelp, I probably ruined a few of those...
I'll have to remember that after getting trolled by a charger for an hour straight to just swim past the charger everyone else is ignoring...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom