• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon's Pronunciation

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Ok so I've really been questioning this for a while - is Splatoon pronounced Splu TOON or SplAtoon?

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
I assume it's supposed to be SplAtoon, but people say it without care or are lazy so they say Spl-uh-toon.

Daxxie

Senior Squid
NNID
Dax
Switch Friend Code
SW-3813-3439-7790
Well since Cuttlefish's platoon was called a Splatoon i'd imagine Splat-toon.

the

Inkling Commander
Yeah i just say it like the word platoon. Probably because im careless and lazy

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Well it's less about being lazy (though I admit I am lazy) and just that for me personally, "spluh toon" rolls off my tongue much easier than "SPLAT-oon" does. And to be fair, the original kana is pronounced spluh-toon too, so it's not like I'm super wrong. :D

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I'm pretty certain it's pronounced like the word 'platoon'.
I've never heard anyone - including Nintendo officials - pronounce it differently.
This.

shani

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
shani_ace
@Enperry While your point isn't completely invalid - it's an official commercial after all - I'd argue that the clip was made right before or at the start of Splatoon's 'career' as a game, where everything was still uncertain, malleable and hadn't settled yet. But in the last few years, pretty much everyone doesn't pronounce it like in that ad. ^^
Who knows, maybe the person voicing that part of the ad wasn't even given any instructions on the pronounciation?

But in case of inconsistencies between official material, I'd ultimately rely on the pronounciation of the people who created it, and Nogami also pronounciates it like 'platoon'. :D

PS: Not that any of this really matters, but it's nice to discuss these less important things once in a while. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom