1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Splatoon's Pronunciation

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by Enperry, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Enperry

Enperry Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    ssjplt
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0405-1788-8108
    Ok so I've really been questioning this for a while - is Splatoon pronounced Splu TOON or SplAtoon?

2. Flopps

Flopps Inkling Commander

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3195-9273-4326
    I assume it's supposed to be SplAtoon, but people say it without care or are lazy so they say Spl-uh-toon.

Enperry likes this.
  3. Daxxie

Daxxie Senior Squid

NNID:
    Dax
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3813-3439-7790
    Well since Cuttlefish's platoon was called a Splatoon i'd imagine Splat-toon.

4. the

the Inkling Commander

Yeah i just say it like the word platoon. Probably because im careless and lazy

Enperry likes this.
  5. Либра

Либра 「Pavor Nocturnus」

Well it's less about being lazy (though I admit I am lazy) and just that for me personally, "spluh toon" rolls off my tongue much easier than "SPLAT-oon" does. And to be fair, the original kana is pronounced spluh-toon too, so it's not like I'm super wrong. :D

Enperry likes this.
  6. shani

shani Semi-Pro Squid

NNID:
    shani_ace
    I'm pretty certain it's pronounced like the word 'platoon'.
    I've never heard anyone - including Nintendo officials - pronounce it differently.

Enperry and Spaceswitchmars like this.
  7. Spaceswitchmars

Spaceswitchmars Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    _funmars
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0556-1305-6031
    This.

8. Enperry

Enperry Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    ssjplt
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0405-1788-8108
    Say that to this:

shani likes this.
  9. shani

shani Semi-Pro Squid

NNID:
    shani_ace
    @Enperry While your point isn't completely invalid - it's an official commercial after all - I'd argue that the clip was made right before or at the start of Splatoon's 'career' as a game, where everything was still uncertain, malleable and hadn't settled yet. But in the last few years, pretty much everyone doesn't pronounce it like in that ad. ^^
    Who knows, maybe the person voicing that part of the ad wasn't even given any instructions on the pronounciation?

But in case of inconsistencies between official material, I'd ultimately rely on the pronounciation of the people who created it, and Nogami also pronounciates it like 'platoon'. :D

PS: Not that any of this really matters, but it's nice to discuss these less important things once in a while. ;)