• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Splattershot Jr. Discussion Thread

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Hey, Squidboards! It's been a while, but with the dawn of Splatoon 2, I thought it would be a good idea to start up the weapon discussion threads again to foster more discussion in this part of the forum. I apologize in advance if there is anything wrong with this, and I'm willing to do something different if needed.

Anyways, I thought it would make sense to start with the first unlocked weapon, the Splattershot Jr. For sake of not crowding up the forum, I'm putting all variants of a weapon into one post. I found data on future weapons here: http://leanny.github.io/splat2/. When discussing future sets, try to keep the data in spoilers.

Name: Splattershot Jr.

Alt Name: Custom Splattershot Jr.

Weapon Type: Shooter

Sheldon's Description for Vanilla: The Splattershot Jr. is the classic entry-level Turf War weapon! It's a great companion for learning the basics of battle. It has a great rate of fire and efficient ink use to boot. Plus, it sprays ink so wildly that you're bound to hit something! Splat Bombs are super effective at smoking out hidden opponents and clearing your path! And the Ink Armor special is great for support, making this set an excellent choice for players who appreciate balance!

Unlock Level: Vanilla variant is given at level 1, Custom variant will be given at level 4 after an update.

Range: 35

Fire Rate: 75

Damage: 22

Special Cost: 180

Loadout for Vanilla: Splat Bombs & Ink Armor.

Autobombs & Ink Storm

Major Strategies: None yet.

Feel free to discuss strengths, weaknesses, suggested abilities, strategies, set comparisons, or whatever below. Any verifiably helpful tips or strategies will be added to the Major Strategies section.

Jam

Inkling
Firstly hi this is my first post! ;)
So i'm a new player having only played 3 games in ranked and none with this weapon but this is a weapon i use often so i'll just give some info on how i feel even if it isn't greatly useful.

Anyway the first thing i noticed about this weapon is its ink consumption or lack of in the case of this weapon you can throw a splat bomb and fire for a long while without having to go into squid form i feel this is very useful because it can be used to force people into moving into your range or risk getting damage or killed outright by the splat bomb or at least at the very least put them in situation that can cause problems for them. Another thing you will notice is how quickly it charges ink armor having a good ink spreading to rack up charge helped by the lack of ink usage and the low amount of charge required compared the the nzap and tri-slosher which had the charge amount required increased during a patch.

Overall however i feel like the nzap is kinda similar to this weapon and outclasses the jr.

Firstly the nzap is very similar with only slightly higher ink consumption and the same damage and fire rate. But the nzap has much better range and has a much tighter spread making it much more accurate at its max range at the cost of the inking spread ability, which in this case is definitely a good trade off in my opinion.

I also feel like the tri-slosher causes huge problems for this weapon with it also being an ink armor weapon. Personally I feel despite the tri-slosher not being as good for the building ink armor special with its now somewhat high charge required post patch. It outclasses the jr in so many other ways while filling the ink armor support role. For example the tri slosher having very good range and being a 2 shot kill regardless of how the ink reaches the target. Also while this isn't important and is very much based on my opinion and varies from player to player I feel I should say i feel the tri-slosher is just as friendly for newbies or people who have trouble aiming precisely with weapons like the nzap as the jr.

Lastly im sorry its so long and if you read it and it left you thinking i already knew all this.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
These things seem like special batteries. You give up the superior killing ability of the Nzap to have armor / cloud active nearly the entire game. For the armor, I think this ultimately makes the Jr. inferior to other options. We have better weapons that can get ink armor while also being able to kill. When you have an Nzap and a tri-slosher on your team already, you don't need a third weapon dedicated solely to getting more armor. This may change if these weapons or ink armor gets nerfed, or new weapons are introduced.
Ink storm seems interesting. None of the weapons we have right now with storm can easily build special. I'd be curious to see if the custom Jr. is more valuable for this reason. A nonstop ink storm could be very scary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom