• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

"Squid Kid" remixes

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
From your article:
A lot of people dislike the commercial for unknown reasons, to the point that Nintendo disabled comments on the video.
The reason people have an aversion to the commercial is because it is partially indicative of how seriously out of touch NOA potentially are with their audience(s).

It's actually not the worst commercial ever, and I understand why it is the way it is given NOA's history. I even understand it a bit better after recently reading Blake J. Harris's Console Wars: Sega, Nintendo, and the Battle That Defined a Generation. It's a very entertaining and informative narrative about the rise and fall of Sega in the first half of the 90s, and I highly recommend checking it out. I grew up in the 90s so the whole story about the marketing battle between Nintendo and Sega is something that feels very nostalgic and resonates with me a lot, even though I was primarily familiar with Nintendo products in my youth.

The console wars of the past have shaped the way the video game industry works nowadays, so giving a nod to the 90s with the NOA Splatoon TV spots may have a level of appropriateness to it after all, but the industry is also a very different battleground now that I feel is going to require a lot better than that.

KniteLyfe

Full Squid
NNID
KniteLyfe
Dang, dude. I realized people hated that commercial but, yikes. 3,439 upvotes versus 4,129 downvotes, and they disabled the comments?

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
I grew up in the '90s too and got used to '90s commercials for a whole decade! And then got sorta sad when those disappeared.

On the same attitude:

That's an '80s-esque commercial, and I totally get what that's a parody of, too. It hasn't had as much pushback as Squid Kid but a lot of people still don't get it.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
I love how nobodys actually posted a Squid Kid remix in this thread yet. o_O:confused:
I linked to one place that has three embedded into it. It's cleaner (for your browser) than embedding all three on this actual post.

Edit: And it gives credit to where credit is due. :)

NNID
NintenArtist2
That's some funny stuff, right there. But seriously,
The commercial. . . It may not be the greatest in the world but it's, alright.
Though, It makes me wonder. Did Nintendo, purposely make the Splatoon ads, horrible, to mimic the 90's?
Or, do they just not know how to properly market games anymore?
The world may never know.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
That's some funny stuff, right there. But seriously,
The commercial. . . It may not be the greatest in the world but it's, alright.
Though, It makes me wonder. Did Nintendo, purposely make the Splatoon ads, horrible, to mimic the 90's?
Or, do they just not know how to properly market games anymore?
The world may never know.
They definitely know how to market games since, as you can see, everyone is obsessed with talking about it. :p

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
Man, me and my sister are currently addicted to the song. Actually, we even have our four year old sister and cousin singing it. I really want a version of the song with no game noises in the background. :P

noahk777

Senior Squid
NNID
noahgk
If a Splatoon stage is put in Smash as DLC, Squid Kid has to be one of the tracks that can be on it.

Teddy

Senior Squid
NNID
EggplantAlloy
I don't understand how the commercial indicates at all that NOA is out of touch. Kids have always responded to annoyingly memorable jingles, and Splatoon is very much a kid-friendly game (though it obviously has grownups interested as well). Sure it's dumb and silly, but that's Nintendo in a nutshell.

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
I don't understand how the commercial indicates at all that NOA is out of touch.
In an ideal world, games should sell themselves. To quote former NOA Executive VP of Sales and Marketing Peter Main, "The name of the game is the game." Unfortunately, our world is slightly less than ideal, so sensible marketing is necessary.

A commercial for a company's product shouldn't make the customer embarrassed to go to the store and purchase it. And no, this isn't a personal issue with my self-esteem. It is okay to have a cheesy, youthful commercial, just not one that looks so cheap and thrown together that a preschooler could do better. Additionally, there should be more variety in the tone and style of the commercials, instead of all of them being the same style.

There have been great commercials in the past that are juvenile and ridiculous, and I am fine with those. Cutting a few game clips together and having a dweeby bodiless voice sing two and a half lines over it lacks the same charm and positive appeal as something more artistic and creative like the Dr. Mario Witch Doctor commercial with a live actor dressed as a witch doctor or the Genesis vs. Super Nintendo commercial where they strapped Genesis to the back of a real race car and SNES to the back of a slow white van.

If the Squid Kid commercial were to be followed up with something like the Shibuya Squid commercial airing in Japan and Europe, then I would feel better about it. There would be a level of balance to the juvenile and cheap appearance. Instead, Squid Kid is the sequel to a similar but even worse commercial with ad-libbed-sounding lyrics to the Splatoon soundtrack.

Edit: TL;DR The NOA Splatoon commercials are shallow in comparison to historically more appealing work.

Last edited:

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
A commercial for a company's product shouldn't make the customer embarrassed to go to the store and purchase it. And no, this isn't a personal issue with my self-esteem. It is okay to have a cheesy, youthful commercial, just not one that looks so cheap and thrown together that a preschooler could do better. Additionally, there should be more variety in the tone and style of the commercials, instead of all of them being the same style.
Alternatively, Nintendo is practicing wot is called consistency in marketing, where the marketing message across all platforms is consistent to promote a single image. So everything has to be a variation on the same theme to minimise confusion.

And, hey, probably because people made a huge deal out of "Squid Kid" but it's nice to think they'd do it anyway, now Nintendo of America keeps referencing Squid Kid in its social media and Nintendo Minute and stuff.

Edit: And I don't think I'd be embarrassed at all when I go to the store to purchase it. Got over that a while ago when I buy things like Kirby or Pokémon.

noahk777

Senior Squid
NNID
noahgk
Well, I'v remixed it to half speed and in weird colours. Someones probably done this already, but oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom