• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Squidboards Monthly Rankings

BestTeaMaker

Pro Squid
NNID
BestTeaMaker
I've decided to compile all tournaments that we've had and start ranking the teams that have entered.

March Rankings
March*
- Inkcage, SCL12, Booyah Battle 5, SCL13

February

- updated 3.5.2016
- SCL11, Messtival 3

January

- Inkstorm 3, SCL9, King of the Valley, Scrubby Squids, Calamari Cup 3, Surf+Turf, SCL10, Inkcredible

December Rankings
- updated 12.30.2015
- SCL 7, SCL 8

November
- updated 12.02.15
- SCL Director's Cut, Messtival 2, Calimari Cup 2, Booyah Battle 4, SCL 6: When Squids Attack, Inkstorm 2

October
- updated 10.27.15
- SCL Super Ultra Turbo Edition, Nintendome, Inkstorm, Messtival, SCL Director's Cut, Booyah Battle 3

September
- updated 10.27.15
- Back to SCL, Calamari Cup, SCL Supreme Edition, Booyah Battle 2

August
- updated 10.27.15
- Salty Splatoon, Booyah Battle

* has not yet occurred

Overall Rankings (now older rankings)
- updated 3.5.2016
This ranking are based on the Glicko-2 system, as explained by its creator, Mark Glickman:

"The problem with the Elo system that the Glicko system addresses has to do with the reliability of a player’s rating. Suppose two players, both rated 1700, played a tournament game with the first player defeating the second. Under the US Chess Federation’s version of the Elo system, the first player would gain 16 rating points and the second player would lose 16 points.

But suppose that the first player had just returned to tournament play after many years, while the second player plays every weekend. In this situation, the first player’s rating of 1700 is not a very reliable measure of his strength, while the second player’s rating of 1700 is much more trustworthy.

My intuition tells me that (1) the first player’s rating should increase by a large amount (more than 16 points) because his rating of 1700 is not believable in the first place, and that defeating a player with a fairly precise rating of 1700 is reasonable evidence that his strength is probably much higher than 1700, and (2) the second player’s rating should decrease by a small amount (less than 16 points) because his rating is already precisely measured to be near 1700, and that he loses to a player whose rating cannot be trusted, so that very little information about his own playing strength has been learned.''

Here is how the rankings are formatted
  • Rankings are divided by month
  • Each month features both the monthly rankings as well as the overall rankings up to that month
  • Teams highlighted in yellow are Japanese teams/pickup teams that have only played in the Inkstorm series
    • KUSA HUKAHI is an exception as they were a pickup Japanese team formed for SCL9
    • When using these rankings for seeding events without the highlighted teams, you can ignore the highlighted teams
Here are the following guidelines that I'm using to keep things simple:
  • Tournament must be posted on Squidboards
  • Does not include league or scrimmages
  • Team names are updated to their current names for all rankings
  • Rankings are based largely on matchups (w/l ratios and tournament placements less so, but still factor in)
  • There is no weight to different-sized events
  • Rankings will be updated every 2 weeks
Here is the explanation for each of the columns:
  • Δ (Delta)
    • This value describes the change in rankings from the last month
    • Green highlight represents an increase in rankings
    • Red highlight represents a decrease in rankings
  • Low Rating
    • This is the value used to rank the teams
    • This is determined by [Rankings - RD]
    • This value represents the low end of a team's estimated rating when accounting for the unreliability of a team's strength due to having attended fewer events
  • Rating
    • This is the value returned when performing the Glicko-2 calculations
    • This value is considered to be the average rating of the team
  • RD (Ratings Deviation)
    • This number represents the unreliability of a team's strength
    • This number becomes important to consider when a team enters a recent tournament after a long period of no activity
    • A very very very general guideline to understanding RD is that the more games and events your team enters, the smaller the RD becomes
    • We can be 95% confident that a team's estimated strength lies in between two RD's ([Ratings- 2RD] and [Ratings + 2RD])
    • It should be noted that this system does tend to boost new teams that perform strongly in their events, allowing them to score very highly (This is why the Japanese teams are ranked much higher and offset the rankings by up to 15 placements)

If you wish to use these rankings for seeding events, here are two things that you as a tournament organizer consider
  • Monthly rankings (updated biweekly) are a good indicator of current team strength
  • Overall rankings takes the history of the team in mind

If you have any questions, comments, concerns, criticisms, or anything, please let me know. If people want me to use a different system or algorithm, I'm up for that.

Last edited:

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
Doesn't include IoS, 10/10.

Seriously, after skimming everything it looks good.

Robotguy

Inkling
Oh hey, rankings that use an actually documented ranking system that's implemented in freely available software so that they can be reproduced by others.
Neat.

Thanks for doing this BTM.

xCoCo

Inkling Commander
NNID
xCelsiusS
Hi! I'd like to inform you that *twisted fate is iK : ) but these rankings seem good

xCoCo

Inkling Commander
NNID
xCelsiusS
which twisted fate? you guys apparently have 3 teams
Mhm as a whole; we just changed our name. You are more them welcome to remove iK. The tf teams are just tf split because not all of us can do the same tournies.

Valkyria

Bottom Feeder
NNID
Valkyriah
This is incredible. I'm looking at the overall rankings and it has data on every team that has ever competed in a Squidboards affiliated tournament. More importantly, these rankings have something the Splatoon Power Rankings always lacked: a point system to measure performance. I'm in favor of a unified rankings of Splatoon, so I'm going to freeze the SPR until there's a use for it again.

Bobo

Full Squid
NNID
acciojackie
This is awesome! Unfortunately, Squiddernauts disbanded a few days ago (#30) and should be taken off the rankings.

BestTeaMaker

Pro Squid
NNID
BestTeaMaker
November rankings are up, and will be updated after the last tournaments of this month is over.

Some important changes. I've changed from using Trueskill to using Glicko-2. However, I only have this updated for the November rankings, not for overall. This also means that I will do away with the past Monthly Rankings once I have finished with compiling all of the past tournament data.

I also have done away with the "color coded" ranks as I need to retool them.

BestTeaMaker

Pro Squid
NNID
BestTeaMaker
Oh wow, thanks for the sticky!

Quick update on things concerning November/December for rankings and my own tournaments i run with Danny.

So, looking at what's being seen in the Tournaments page, there's really only one tournament listed (Blink and Get Inked), and I'm not sure if people will actually be attending it. Until I get word that this tournament is going to run, I'm going to start making an update to the rankings for Inkstorm II.

Concerning December, since there is no word on upcoming events that people wish to host, I will not be keeping a December ranking unless enough significant events occur. This also means that we won't be hosting another Booyah Battle during the next month or so. During this time, I will do my best to create an overall rankings and call it Season 0.

Why Season 0?

I'm currently planning on a league-ish idea since there were many concerns with tournaments running long and people seeking to battle with people of their own skill level. This will be something I will be working on and will be reaching out to people in the future for help with logistics and stuff. A lot of people have expressed interest in the creation of a league and some have even started working on it. I'll see if I can make something work considering the odd current climate of competitive Splatoon. Season 0 will be used to seed an upcoming tournament that will determine placements into the upcoming league(ish). It will allow me to determine how to divide teams and create a league(sorta) catered for each divisional ranking.

Concerning people looking to create their own league or continue to host individual tournaments, I will be creating a Seasonal Overall ranking alongside the one I am creating solely for this league(kinda) idea. This SO Ranking will include everything contained within a period of time equal to the length of a seasonal ranking.

For questions, comments, concerns, doubts, complaints, well-wishes for the rankings and league(not really sure if it should be called a league), comment below.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
Oh wow, thanks for the sticky!

Quick update on things concerning November/December for rankings and my own tournaments i run with Danny.

So, looking at what's being seen in the Tournaments page, there's really only one tournament listed (Blink and Get Inked), and I'm not sure if people will actually be attending it. Until I get word that this tournament is going to run, I'm going to start making an update to the rankings for Inkstorm II.

Concerning December, since there is no word on upcoming events that people wish to host, I will not be keeping a December ranking unless enough significant events occur. This also means that we won't be hosting another Booyah Battle during the next month or so. During this time, I will do my best to create an overall rankings and call it Season 0.

Why Season 0?

I'm currently planning on a league-ish idea since there were many concerns with tournaments running long and people seeking to battle with people of their own skill level. This will be something I will be working on and will be reaching out to people in the future for help with logistics and stuff. A lot of people have expressed interest in the creation of a league and some have even started working on it. I'll see if I can make something work considering the odd current climate of competitive Splatoon. Season 0 will be used to seed an upcoming tournament that will determine placements into the upcoming league(ish). It will allow me to determine how to divide teams and create a league(sorta) catered for each divisional ranking.

Concerning people looking to create their own league or continue to host individual tournaments, I will be creating a Seasonal Overall ranking alongside the one I am creating solely for this league(kinda) idea. This SO Ranking will include everything contained within a period of time equal to the length of a seasonal ranking.

For questions, comments, concerns, doubts, complaints, well-wishes for the rankings and league(not really sure if it should be called a league), comment below.
Notice: SCL will be running bi weeklies during december. it is only thanksgiving we're taking off. So expect 7 and 8 during december. 7 should fall in the normal timeslot, whereas we were probably going to run 8 a little later. We expect less turnout than usual but still be aware.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Is it possible to include their team tags? I know not everyone has one and sometimes they change, but it would be helpful to have that reference point.

Darío

Inkling
Community Ambassador
NNID
Darpamo4182
Hey, as a Hokusai Squad's member I was wondering why are there two Hokusai? Is it an error or is it just another team named Hokusai?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom