• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Squidboards Update #1 - Intro, Staff Positions, Board Names, and Beta Forum

Hello everyone!

It's been quite the day. With the official launch of the full Squidboards site, it's great to see the culmination of Squidboards happening before my very eyes.

Last year when I was in the Smash Bros. Invitational, I didn't even know what Splatoon was. Hadn't heard a single bit of information about it. But when I got to the E3 show floor, finally getting the game in my hands for the first time, the game felt oddly familiar. Like I had played it before. But obviously I hadn't.

I then realized what this feeling was. The gameplay felt like all of my favorite things from previous games – high intensity, competition, smooth and quick movement, tons of control. The Melee player in me, the Gears of War player in me, the gamer in me, all roared with excitement. I didn't stop playing Splatoon until I had at least a few hours of the game under my belt. It was that good.

So deciding to create Squidboards was a pretty easy decision. I knew I'd be playing this game for a long time, and surely others would too. Why not create a community around it?

And now here we are. I'm so excited to be part of the new Squidboards as GM and to have you all here. It's an unparalleled feeling.

Before I get into the rest of this – I'd like to introduce myself, talk about a few other things, etc. - I just want to once again thank alphaZealot and Warchamp7 for all the work they've put in to make this a reality. This site 100% could not have happened just by my own means. I was extremely lucky to get the chance to work with AZ and Warchamp on this project. They've put a lot into this and will only continue to do so.

That being said, I'll be brief with the rest.

Introduction

For those of you who don't know me, my name is Dakota Lasky. You may know me as TheRapture, too. I've been playing games competitively since I was a kid, but got into the grassroots competitive Smash scene in 2010 with Brawl. Since then, I've continued to compete in Smash Bros and other games. I worked as Production Manager for the Apex Tournament Series in 2014 and 2015. I write for Nintendo Enthusiast and mm1.fm. I'm also the head TO of the Smash Attack tournament series with Team Sp00ky and Next Level Arcade in Brooklyn, NY. And I was one of the sixteen players invited to take part in the Super Smash Bros. Invitational at E3 2014 (and I didn't get eliminated in the first round~).

And, of course, I'm the leader of the Ridley Army. #LETSGOBABY #KEEPDREAMING #RIDLEYFORSMASH

But right now, and most importantly, I'm a Splatoon player just like the rest of you.

As GM of Squidboards, it'll be my job to make sure Squidboards is essentially the best site ever created in human history. I'm here to work with you all on an enjoyable forum experience and to foster a large, strong community for Splatoon.

I'm really excited to continue work on improving Squidboards, adding more to the site, and leading this community. I hope you all are, too.

Moving from the Beta Forum

Originally, Squidboards started as a free, “beta” forum (You can still check it out if you'd like!). This was just a placeholder until the official site launched. I wanted to build the Splatoon community as early as possible, even if the game was still months away.

Now, we're at the full site, so no need for the free forum anymore!

Here's what you need to know – if you were a member of the Beta forum, unfortunately we cannot transfer any of your content or posts, or your post amount and account itself, to this new site. I know this is not what most of you would prefer, but that's the reality of the situation.

Thus, here's what you need to do. If you have anything on the Beta forum that you want at the new Squidboards, you'll have to manually make the transfer yourself by creating a new thread on the new site. If you need help with this, please do not hesitate to ask, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

I apologize for those who want to keep what they built over on the Beta forums, but it's just not in the cards.

Board Names

Let's make this quick. A lot of you have expressed frustration with some of the board names, as they aren't tailored to really describe what the board is about. Obviously, that makes it hard to navigate. We thought this kind of flair would be fun, but it quickly was recognized as being not very fun and more confusing, instead.

As a result, we'll be changing board names to better clarify what the board is about. Most names will change, though a few may remain (like The Crispy Calamari, for example). By the time you read this, they may have already been changed.

Staff Positions

I'm sure many of you are the most interested in this part.

As a new site always requires, we'll need many a staff position filled. Moderators, writers, maybe another admin. Whatever the case may be, there will be open spots that will need filling.

To accommodate this, I will be putting together a formal application process for anyone interested in a staff position. You'll be able to easily apply and provide whatever materials you desire for your application.

Next week, applications will open for staff positions. I'll make another post about this when the time comes.

--

And that should cover everything. Hope you've gotten your fill of Splatoon news for now, but certainly there is much more to come just over the horizon!

Thanks for being part of launch day for Squidboards!

-TheRapture

TheRapture

Comments

Was on the beta for a while, never really posted other than a short bio. Glad to see the full site going though! Really excited to get a start.

Gotta keep this forum in tip top shape, especially with the game quickly approaching release. That said be wary of who is selected to moderate. If there aren't enough "quality applications" don't be tempted to fill positions as needed.

EDIT: Forgot who I was talking to, lol. That said though, I think any and all current Smashboards moderators should be heavily favored. To the extent of asking them regardless if they applied or not. =P

A very nice website indeed. I'm usually not that interested in forums, but how can I deny one about one of my favourite games so far?

Awesome! Thank you for taking the suggestions users had on the board names. I may apply to be a moderator, since I think this site definitely needs some of those. ^^

I am interested in the Staff applications department, but considering the bad luck I had with MKW.com regarding that subject, I don't think I'll pass that up. Either way, nice.

All of this sounds wonderful. And good to see you are listening. Whoever is chosen as staff I wish the best of luck. I may apply myself but we will see.

The new site looks awesome! Props to you and the whole team, I'm incredibly excited for the future of the Splatoon community!

I'll try to apply too. for Mod if possible. I love welcoming people at Smashboards and have never recieved a warning or ban. I always try to stay by the rules and would like to to keep things in order. Smash is really a nice board and rarely bans people if not heavy offenders. I'm sure squidboards will follow suit a s I've seen it's a nice place just like smash. But a police officer is always needed. I've never been into any position that is important beyond a simple member on forums I go around. But if I'm chosen I'd like to do my job as best as possible. No one is born learnt so aquiring experience and trying for those places higher is the way to build one's foundation. And congratulations on the launch. I've followed the twitter version and have already begun welcoming new members here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom