• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Squidboards Update #3 - Testfire Montage, New Boards, and Community Reminders

What Multiplayer Mode Would You Want Added to Splatoon?

• Team Deathmatch

Votes: 14 12.6%
  • Free-for-All

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • Multi-Team

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • Capture the Flag

Votes: 43 38.7%
  • Search and Destroy

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • Domination

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Juggernaut

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • VIP

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Infection

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Zombies

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • Big Team Battle

Votes: 8 7.2%

• Total voters
It's time for another Squidboards update! Splatoon launches next week, so the Squidboards staff is back in the kitchen getting ready for the big day. Hopefully you all are too!

Heading into the final weekend before the splatting begins, we've got some reminders and hot news for lunch today.

Community Reminders

First, Squidboards staff applications will be open until this Monday, May 25th, at 12:00 PM EST. You can apply for a staff position by clicking here. We have a wealth of applications for moderator positions, but we'd like to see more writers, as well!

And second, the Squidboards contest to win a copy of Splatoon continues until the launch of the game on May 29th. If you make at least 20 quality posts by this time, you are eligible for this contest.

New Boards at Inkopolis Plaza

Inkopolis Plaza will gain three additional boards – Forum Games, Original Content and Squid Social. Forum Games will be for fun threads to fool around in that have been populating the Crispy Calamari lately. Original Content will be for users who want to post their own artwork, Youtube videos, fanfiction, etc. without having to post it in General Discussion or the Crispy Calamari. And Squid Social will be for all the Social threads populating the Crispy Calamari. The only exception will be the Splatoon Social Thread, which will be the only social thread that is permitted in General Discussion.

Squidboards Community Montage

I'm very excited to make this announcement.

For this weekend's Global Testfire, I wanted to do something awesome to celebrate the final pre-release hoo-rah for this game. The Splatoon community has grown fantastically without the game even being released yet. Being able to play in these Global Testfires and get into the game before release has been such an awesome experience that I wanted to help remember it with a hand from everyone who loves the game just as much as I do.

Introducing the Squidboards Global Testfire Community Montage. This is a project that everyone can contribute to! By recording your gameplay during the final hour of the Global Testfire this weekend, you can then submit your clips to help create a montage full of gameplay from Squidboards users!

With the best of the best clips, I'll have a community montage ready by the time Splatoon launches next week!

To contribute to the Squidboards Global Testfire Community Montage:

-Play during the final Splatoon Global Testfire on May 23rd and record your footage (HD quality preferred!)
-Upload your clip(s) to the Internet (3 clip maximum per user) tagged with your information and submit it to the montage.
-If any of your clips have been picked, you'll see them appear in the final video!

I'll be posting again with the full details and submission process by this Friday, so stay tuned!

Last edited:
TheRapture

Comments

I would be interested in a potential writing position, but having 25 comments on a forum for a game that hasn't even come out yet seems kind of silly. At this point all there is to do is speculate, and I don't feel comfortable artificially boosting my post count just for consideration.

I understand the purpose of having it (to make sure people are somewhat committed to the site) but I can tell you from experience, people with 50,000 posts can be just as lazy as people with five, and people with five posts can be harder working than those with 50,000.

I would be interested in a potential writing position, but having 25 comments on a forum for a game that hasn't even come out yet seems kind of silly. At this point all there is to do is speculate, and I don't feel comfortable artificially boosting my post count just for consideration.

I understand the purpose of having it (to make sure people are somewhat committed to the site) but I can tell you from experience, people with 50,000 posts can be just as lazy as people with five, and people with five posts can be harder working than those with 50,000.
Fair. I did not think this would be a hard barrier for an active user but to get more applications, I do not mind removing this criteria.

I have reflected the change in the post. Users will no longer have to have 25 posts to apply.

Definitely excited for this!

Good luck to all the entrants of the Splatoon contest, and I'm looking forward to the Testfire montage. I'll try and record some footage this weekend and submit it.

SPLATOON HYPE!!!!

Quality over quantity.

I'd like to imagine Capture The Flag as "Capture the Zapfish." Both teams have a Zapfish, and the objective is to capture the enemy's zapfish 3 times. If a player grabs a Zapfish, a "ping" on the touchscreen map would show that player's general area, for both teams, every 5 seconds. Oh, and if the player carrying the zapfish goes into squid form for longer than 15 seconds, they superjump, or if they get splattered, they would lose their grip and the zapfish would flop around. To make up for this, the zapfish's electric properties would make the special meter charge up over time for whoever carried it.

Last edited:
Fair. I did not think this would be a hard barrier for an active user but to get more applications, I do not mind removing this criteria.

I have reflected the change in the post. Users will no longer have to have 25 posts to apply.
I know the change has already been made... but personally I didn't find it hard to get the 25 posts. I've doubled that without even trying finding topics I'm interested in And people I'm interested in talking to. I've been in well over 100 threads and I've been able to pick and choose which conversations I feel are worth my time.

That said I think that posting regularly is far more important for a moderator than for someone seeking just a writing position here.

I know the change has already been made... but personally I didn't find it hard to get the 25 posts. I've doubled that without even trying finding topics I'm interested in And people I'm interested in talking to. I've been in well over 100 threads and I've been able to pick and choose which conversations I feel are worth my time.

That said I think that posting regularly is far more important for a moderator than for someone seeking just a writing position here.
Agreed. Though post count is no longer a criteria, quality and quantity of posts will still be taken into consideration, especially for moderator applicants.

And just today I was thinking how the crispy calamari section seriously needed to be split up lol. Will you be moving threads that aren't explicitly socials but pretty much are one into there (like threads called THING dicussion thread or just THING) or is a new thread expected to be made in the social?

I would love to add some dank pro splat roller walking mechanics to your montage but I lack any way to record Wii U footage ;-;

And just today I was thinking how the crispy calamari section seriously needed to be split up lol. Will you be moving threads that aren't explicitly socials but pretty much are one into there (like threads called THING dicussion thread or just THING) or is a new thread expected to be made in the social?

I would love to add some dank pro splat roller walking mechanics to your montage but I lack any way to record Wii U footage ;-;
All social threads that are explicitly social threads will go to Squid Social. Discussion threads that are not necessarily dedicated to socializing will stay in the Crispy Calamari. Future social threads should be posted in the Squid Social.

For example, the Yooka-Laylee thread in Crispy Calamari is a discussion thread for a particular game. That stays in Crispy Calamari. But the obvious social threads have been moved. If a thread is for discussing a particular subject and not for socializing with people who associate with that subject, it stays in the Crispy Calamari.

Will we eventually be getting a section for discussion games? I'm sure there will be many game discussion threads, probably enough to warrant another subsection sooner or later

The new update looks nice! It's good to have the extra subforums. I'd be up for uploading some clips for the montage but I have no way of recording HD footage. I know it's only preferred HD, but I don't want to show up with a potato-quality recording haha.

Looking forward to the Team news coming up!

Good update! I had a thought earlier and was considering making a thread about it but it was only a minor change so I didn't see the need too. I know we have a chatroom on the site but I didn't find out about it until recently when I accidentally clicked the "Shoutbox" tab at the top. My suggestion was making the name of the tab slightly more obvious so more people paid a bit more attention to it. Just a suggestion of course! Keep up with the awesome work. I enjoy spending time here browsing forums and adding my opinion on topics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom