• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Stick vs. Gyro: Which is Better?

WydrA

Inkling Commander
This was a discussion we were having in chat earlier. I, and some others I know of (@FunkyLobster) were always under the impression that gyro is superior, some interesting arguments were made in support of tick, such as stamina and small vs. large movements.
There doesn't seem to be much readily available "literature" on the subject, but @The Apple BOOM did link an interesting post on mouse vs stick, and it seems many of the points for mouse could be applied to gyro (although it is pretty long): http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/118355-controls-demystified/
Anyway would appreciate thoughts from either side on the subject.

Also a disclaimer before anyone goes on about it: this thread isn't supposed to find out what you "must" use, simply a discussion on what is seems (keyword) to be more (another keyword there) competitively viable.

Last edited:

WydrA

Inkling Commander

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Stick with high sensitivity.

The Apple BOOM

Senior Squid
NNID
TheAppleBOOM
There are rumors about an old Xbox 360 shooter that tried to have PC and console play together, but in testing found that casual PC players stomped competitive console players every match. These were never substantiated, but I don't think that would be far from the truth.

As referenced above, joysticks (from here on referred to as sticks) are first order controllers, they control the velocity of the reticle. Mice and Wii U gyroscopes (from here on referred to as gyros) are zero order controllers, they control the position of the reticle. FPS's were made for zero order controllers and mapped to consoles later on. Switching controller types from their original intentions degrades the amount of control you have. For another example, look at Flight Sims. Flying with a mouse is incredibly hard compared to using a stick.

Another problem that is bound to creep up is Aim Assist. There is absolutely no modern console shooter that doesn't use Aim Assist. It's the only thing that makes console shooters playable. There is a reason almost every modern shooter has an Aim Down Sights mode. It's a clever way to hide the Aim Assist and why quick scoping works. Splatoon, as far as I've been able to test, does not have Aim Assist because of the possibility of gyro controls. There will be many players who use only sticks due to their preference from other games that will perform much worse than those other games because of this.

Manwell

Inkling
NNID
Manwell
I don't think there is a more "competitively viable" option. Some people will be much more comfortable with one control option or another. Its just like fighting games; some people prefer different button setups/fight-sticks/controllers. There is no one way that is "better" for competitive play. At least in my opinion.

The Apple BOOM

Senior Squid
NNID
TheAppleBOOM
I don't think there is a more "competitively viable" option. Some people will be much more comfortable with one control option or another. Its just like fighting games; some people prefer different button setups/fight-sticks/controllers. There is no one way that is "better" for competitive play. At least in my opinion.
The thing is, actually, most 2D fighters are overwhelmingly better played with sticks. It got to the point with Hitboxes that they were almost banned, and they might end up getting banned from Tekken 7.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
As Apple BOOM said, 2d fighters have an option considered more viable. Even in smash bros, 99% of good players use GC controller because the number of buttons and thei placement allows for several more tech options. Most games have a better competitive option. There are people who break the mold, but they're rare because it's so much harder, and they only do so because they really like the comfort of the "inferior" controller or because that's all they can get their hands on.
A good example is a league player (not sure his name, only heard about this through a friend) who got very high level using a thumb roller mouse. People thought it may be better and he basically told them not to because even though he was good with tit it was clearly inferior competitively speaking and not worth learning since it would hurt people's game instead of help.

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
I really love the Gyro controlls and i suck at playing shooters with a stick anyway xD

Unessential

Full Squid
The thing is, actually, most 2D fighters are overwhelmingly better played with sticks. It got to the point with Hitboxes that they were almost banned, and they might end up getting banned from Tekken 7.
As a fighting game player, I can tell you that most of this isn't true. The hitbox thing was an exception due to SF4's shortcut motions and SOCDs and as long as new hitboxes are tested to not accept SOCDs (or the game itself doesn't accept SOCDs) they're legal.

Pads and sticks both do well in tournaments, it's just sticks are more common and prefered due to the history and established community and what they're used to, not due to being technically better.

As for Splatoon and gyro options, I could never play shooters well on console with sticks. I felt that the motion controls were a bit wierd to begin with, but after getting used to them, they do seem much more precise than anyhing i've used before (including keyboard + mouse)

but it *Does* take a while to get used to gyro. and I think most people just hate it so much they're not giving it the chance it deserves and just giving up before they've gotten used to it.

Not to say that it is the best control, just that it's the best option *for me* but I still think most people who don't use it aren't giving it enough of a chance before making a decision to give it up

LittlestMinish

Full Squid
NNID
LittlestMinish
I think I'll skip multiplayer for the first few days and just use Gyro for the story mode. I had preconceptions that my thumb couldn't be less accurate than a gyro, but I am starting to doubt that. I'll be back with my verdict a few days after the launch.

grandpappy

You guys made me ink!
NNID
eyeplaybass
Gyro to me felt weird, but it also felt like it could be so much more accurate than a stick can if you practice and get used to it. It just takes a lot of focus and retraining for me because I kept trying to aim up with my right stick and getting in trouble for it.

I saw some folks in another thread talking about their hands/arms getting fatigued by gyro controls. I couldn't laugh any harder at that than I already did.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Honestly, I got used to gyro controls fairly quickly. The 2nd test fire was the first one I played, and I couldn't hit anything, since the sensitivity was too high. (I thought that the sensitivity only affected the right stick, amd not the gyro itself,) but once I lowered the sensitivity and tweaked with it a bit to find that sweet spot, I was golden.

Radi

Senior Squid
NNID
InfinityBeamX
Gyro seems to be the quickest option, but someone who can't hold something still would have problems using the gyro controls. The stick controls are a little better on the precision, but probably not as quick. It all depends on what you like. I would have no choice but to use the stick controls if Splatoon gets more controller options.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Coming from a background of never playing any shooters, gyro was extremely easy for me to pick up compared to stick.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Gyro seems to be the quickest option, but someone who can't hold something still would have problems using the gyro controls. The stick controls are a little better on the precision, but probably not as quick. It all depends on what you like. I would have no choice but to use the stick controls if Splatoon gets more controller options.
Stick is worse for precision. Thus the invention of aim assist for stick shooters, and their absence in mouse and wiimote shooters.
Also if you can't hold something still, assuming it's not due to something out of your control like a disease, you could always just learn to...

Chhipz

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Chhipz
It's all about comfort zone. We will play better with what we are most comfortable with, because that comfort will allow us to take all our mental resources away from the controls itself and focus it all entirely on the gameplay.

Unessential

Full Squid
there's aim assist for console shooters?? This is the first i've heard of this. That show's how long i've been out of the loop with shooters...

luigisly

Full Squid
Definitely think using both is going to be the way to go. Going to use the single player to find that out for sure.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
there's aim assist for console shooters?? This is the first i've heard of this. That show's how long i've been out of the loop with shooters...
Yeah, you see it in just about every shooter nowadays. Lately, aim assist has been getting terrible though. Before it was subtle, now it is really obvious, to the point that it acts as a mini lock on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom