1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Sticks vs. Motion question

Discussion in 'Competitive Discussion' started by [BR]Zee, Aug 14, 2017.

1. [BR]Zee

[BR]Zee Inkling

NNID:
    Zeetrain
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-1783-7278-1404
    I have made the transition to motion controls and love it trying to preach the all holy motion to my buddies and one is complaining that the right stick movement feels "doughy" with motion on I never noticed a difference, but my question is this....is there a difference (besides not being able to go up or down)in the way the right stick reacts to inputs with and without motion controls? Or is this guy crazy?

2. D3RK

D3RK Semi-Pro Squid

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-6389-5985-3965 Username:「Derk」
    It's going to feel really odd until they get use to gyro. I played the original Splatoon with stick controls the entire time and finally decided to learn motion controls in splatoon 2. It felt incredibly awkward for the first few days and my aim was not all that great until I got use to it. I kinda know what they mean by the stick movement because I struggled with it also. I was using stick mainly for controlling everything at first until I adjusted to controlling the gyro and it's really easy to mess up your aiming that way. It's almost like fighting yourself on which control you should be using, motion or gyro? Try turning down the stick sensitivity and increasing the motion controls. It will finally click when you start blending both movements without thinking about it.

Definitely stick to it though. Once you get over the wall there is a huge difference in the things you can do with motion controls. I started with story mode to learn gyro, but I honestly think I learned a lot faster by fighting actual opponents in multiplayer.

Lyn likes this.
  3. Belial

Belial Full Squid

It's just them adjusting I believe. I use combination controls, but overusing the analog is a big mistake which can make you suffer when using gyro. I'm pretty surprised how it feels like no one used Gyro before though. I used it for many of the zelda games (Oot 3d, WW HD, and MM 3D all had this feature) so it was second nature to me already by the time Splat1 came out. I'd reccomend practicing in the octoling battle stages for a little while if you don't want to lose a bunch of turf wars. They're decent enough practice on the later worlds.

4. Emperor

Emperor twitter.com/Emperor_Kun

You'll want to get to know how to use both. Gyro is good for aim, and stick is great for quick turn around.

5. RainbowOni

RainbowOni Inkster Jr.

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-6643-4364-0032
    This is pretty much on point. You'll have a bigger advantage with motion controls than just sticks alone. One of the developers of the game stated it as learning how to ride a bicycle all over again.

Lyn and Chancellor Woomy like this.
  6. kidsquid17

kidsquid17 Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Firefin
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5267-5861-7211
    i use sticks, i like to be in a comfortable position when i play i don't want to be moving my hand in every which direction, i'm tired of people saying you won't be good till you convert to gyro, maybe in the future i'll eat my own words but i think people should stick to what their comfortable with.

7. MrL1193

MrL1193 Inkling Cadet

If you always stick to what you're comfortable with, you'll never know what your true potential is. You might be able to do well with just stick controls, but if you spend some time practicing with motion controls, you just might find that they allow you to play even better than before. If you do try them out and you still can't adapt after a lengthy period of time, then by all means, go back to using stick controls, but you should at least give motion controls a fair chance before deciding that you don't want to use them.

8. NBSink

NBSink Pro Squid

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5607-3736-5200
    Besides not being able to go up and down while motion controls are turned on. If you get your thumb away from the stick without motion contrlols it will stop the motion on your TV instantly. Turning Motion controls on results in a stick the needs time to speed up and slow down...

Well if you ask me motions control vs. stick is the same as console wars (Stupid and non-sense). I'll stick with motion control but I can't say motion controls are better. Use what you like more.

9. KayB

KayB Semi-Pro Squid

I like to keep an open mind on most things, but I don't really see much of an advantage of playing stick. If you like stick, then stay with it I guess, but I personally think that person would do even better with motion with some practice.

With the right sensitivity, you don't really move your hands that much at all, it's only small, subtle movements. Very rarely if ever do you really need to go for exaggerated movements, so to me this was never as huge of a deal as I thought it would be.

MrL1193 likes this.
  10. Hitzel

Hitzel Inkling Commander

NNID:
    Hitzelburger
    Yes, the right stick has "drift" when motion controls are turned on compared to sticks.

The way you should be learning motion is using the stick to rotate your whole camera, and using the motion to aim once you're looking in the direction you want. As you get better you'll start using sticks and motion at the same time and that drift will become simple muscle memory.

You can hold the right stick in an up or down position and move it slightly left or right to get rid of the drift if needed. Some high level players use this for sniping etc but it's not needed, just an advanced technique.