• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Still not enough new characters

BooDestroyer

Full Squid
NNID
BooDestroyer
Because all we have in there so far are Li'l Judd, Murch, the Salmonids, and uhhh...

um....

...those Grizzco guys.....??

and...

...new Octarian variants....?

er....

<.<

>.>

...Splatoon 2 Direct when?

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
There's the new musical band, Wet Floor. And there's likely to be at least one or two other new bands....

Then possibly a replacement character for Callie and Marie's hourly announcements. If that's still a thing.

So yeah, there's a few more new characters for you. Not much, but a few.

BooDestroyer

Full Squid
NNID
BooDestroyer
Then possibly a replacement character for Callie and Marie's hourly announcements. If that's still a thing.
According to Squid Sister Stories, they already split up and retired their thing together a while ago.

So yeah, there's got to be a new group this time.

OogieBoogie

Pro Squid
NNID
MrOogieBoogie
Larger possibility for big DLC this time around. Expanded campaign maybe. Expanded Salmon Run. More maps. I think having new characters make the scene during Splatoon 2's life isn't outside the realm of possibility. There may still be plenty we haven't seen yet that we won't see until we actually play ^_^

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
Too many characters will over saturate the game. The point being you have a few for story, the Salmon Run and the general hub carrying a few shops. Otherwise you, the player, make up the entire hub to begin with.

It is the type of game where you kinda have to imagine your own set of pace and what goes on with it.

OogieBoogie

Pro Squid
NNID
MrOogieBoogie
Too many characters will over saturate the game. The point being you have a few for story, the Salmon Run and the general hub carrying a few shops. Otherwise you, the player, make up the entire hub to begin with.

It is the type of game where you kinda have to imagine your own set of pace and what goes on with it.
Well take the Mario universe...granted it has had FAR more time to build, but they have HUNDREDS of named characters that fans recognize, even if they do not make many or noteworthy appearances. I mean any Mario fan worth their weight knows there is a King Bob-bom (I can never spell that right...) even if his only noteworthy appearance is one game. I think seeing more characters with even the tiniest flicker of personality can only add to the game, although the gaming style is also different. Perhaps if the day comes that there is a platforming splatoon game =O Now that would be something...im rambling....okay bye bye XD

dylan_not_bob

Stardust Crusquider
As much as characters like the Squid Sisters etc. were fun and charming, the first game was hardly character-based.

The real fun for me has come out of seeing how the community creates stories for the characters in comics and stuff. So even if they only add a couple extra, I'm sure the community will do the extra work again. :)

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
Well take the Mario universe...granted it has had FAR more time to build, but they have HUNDREDS of named characters that fans recognize, even if they do not make many or noteworthy appearances. I mean any Mario fan worth their weight knows there is a King Bob-bom (I can never spell that right...) even if his only noteworthy appearance is one game. I think seeing more characters with even the tiniest flicker of personality can only add to the game, although the gaming style is also different. Perhaps if the day comes that there is a platforming splatoon game =O Now that would be something...im rambling....okay bye bye XD
But then Mario is more of a open exploration compare to what Splatoon is (Also been out since 1985, consider the year expansion over Splatoon.). So characters are needed to overall keep the world from becoming dull and bland, while Splatoon relies heavily on the players, and activity done online.

Same thing goes for Sonic, since he opened up to open world hubs back in Sonic Jam. Same for Skyrim, etc, etc. But Splatoon has plenty of characters for now, especially when you have majors like DJ Octavio, Marie, Callie, Captain Cuttlefish, Spike, and more. Too much would just overlap these characters right now, and we are only on the sequel.

(And King Bob-omb appeared in other spin offs than just Mario 64. He is even a boss in Mario Kart DS.)

It is best to keep patient then over flooding a new IP too fast. It will one day get up there with popular games such as Mario, but you have to realize he even started with just a giant ape and a damsel in distress; Pauline.

(Edit: Blah, if I misread anything then mind me. I am a tad bit overloaded today.)

Colorfull

Inkling
But then Mario is more of a open exploration compare to what Splatoon is (Also been out since 1985, consider the year expansion over Splatoon.). So characters are needed to overall keep the world from becoming dull and bland, while Splatoon relies heavily on the players, and activity done online.

Same thing goes for Sonic, since he opened up to open world hubs back in Sonic Jam. Same for Skyrim, etc, etc. But Splatoon has plenty of characters for now, especially when you have majors like DJ Octavio, Marie, Callie, Captain Cuttlefish, Spike, and more. Too much would just overlap these characters right now, and we are only on the sequel.

(And King Bob-omb appeared in other spin offs than just Mario 64. He is even a boss in Mario Kart DS.)

It is best to keep patient then over flooding a new IP too fast. It will one day get up there with popular games such as Mario, but you have to realize he even started with just a giant ape and a damsel in distress; Pauline.

(Edit: Blah, if I misread anything then mind me. I am a tad bit overloaded today.)
I learned from other games that the smaller the in-game world is, the less characters it needs. The bigger the world is, the more it needs.
Having too many in a such a small space would be bad, but at the same time having only a few characters in a big open world would also be bad.
So it's probably best to add more characters as the universe of that game/IP expands, and not immediately.

Coricus

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4794-7152-2904
As far as new characters are concerned, I feel as though proportionally speaking we've actually gotten a decent amount considering most of the ones in the original Splatoon held pretty specific niches. You had four (and a half?) shopkeepers, a shady guy in a corner upgrading your gear, two newscasters that pulled double duty in single player, a hero and a villain that were single player specific, and the character judging the results of your matches. Everybody has a niche, everybody has something specific they're doing.

Fast forward to Splatoon 2, and the roles of the existing characters have been shuffled around a fair bit while each new character also holds a specific role. L'il Judd changes the UI of match judging, Murch does something different with gear tweaking, and Grizzco and the Salmonids handle a new mode. It's entirely possible if not outright likely we'll see some more characters taking the roles of old characters that have moved on to fresher pursuits, but I think at this point they're probably planning on holding any more that might exist close to the vest until launch so we'll have some surprises.

Part of the issue with comparing Mario to Splatoon is that Mario is so absurdly popular and iconic that even the minor enemies have huge followings and spinoff appearances, while Splatoon doesn't have that kind of history. So you've got "hundreds of characters" in Mario, but no one would really count a lot of characters in Splatoon under that kind of quota despite being equivalents. Granted, no one's really gonna count the Octoweapons as characters either way, but the Samurai Octarian fits the same kind of niche as someone like King Bob-omb yet doesn't get the same treatment as a character. If you boiled Mario down to the characters that aren't bosses and mooks and then included "Bowser's minions" as one single kind of character, that list is gonna get a whole lot smaller.

Meanwhile Sonic's thing is that a ton of those characters are playable in one game or another, while Splatoon is played using character avatars. I wouldn't say that's an open world issue unless you start factoring in stuff like Unleashed NPCs, but they aren't really comparable anyway.

I mean, a larger number of enemies in single player with juicy backstory would be amazing, but aside from that there's not really much I can even ask out of it. Two years into Sonic you had like 5 characters, two years into Super Mario leaves you with a similar count if you're not lumping the general enemies into it.

If there's one thing I can appreciate with Splatoon 2, it's that each character has something interesting to do with the lore on top of having niches. For the shopkeepers it's more of a simple Animal Crossing-style lore of day to day life as could be expected out of the same general dev group as Animal Crossing for the same kind of character roles, but L'il Judd has a very interesting implication for existing. And considering Grizzco seems to in fact actually be run by a bear, that actually seems even MORE interesting if at all possible, assuming we ever get any kind of explanation. There may not be that many new characters so far, but each one has the potential to say a lot about the world they're set in.

Of course, those characters are so darn good that of course you gotta crave more, but looking at other video games I'd say Splatoon 2's going at a pretty good clip adding more considering the amount it had at first and the setting involved. For them to add a bunch of new characters all of a sudden the series would probably have to go dormant long enough to justify some pretty major revamps, but if your game is selling 5 million copies you're likely not going to see it drop off the face of the earth for a quarter century and then suddenly have the cast quadruple.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
I don't see the main issue with the amount of characters but with the lack of interaction with the characters. All major character scenarios like the parting of Callie and Marie or having learned about their history all took place off-screen. Either separately announced by Nintendo, or found in sunken scrolls. None of it is in-game though. And I think a huge factor causing this issues is simply the lack of a true main character that the player gets to interact with other characters through in the first place. Agent 3, or whatever they're going to call him now, doesn't cut it.

In this day and age, being an avatar is not an excuse for being badly written or being a flat character. It doesn't really matter that the avatar is a silent protagonist or has no specific name. Neither does Link, who's a prime example for being a perfectly round character despite being both a silent protagonist, as well as having even a customizable name. None of it counts as justification for the hero of this game to have literally nothing to him. The entire identity of the player's Inkling is his performance in the story mode. There's literally nothing else about him.

I honestly think simply giving the hero of the story mode at least a default name and actually letting him react or interact with the other characters in some way, even just facial expressions, can do wonders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom