• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Strategic advice needed from the ink masters.

Atlusfox

Inkling
So far I have been playing for only a short time and I have enjoyed the game. By this point I have noticed some things I would like to ask about that I hope will help my ability to spread some ink and splat some foes. First some more about my play style thus far. When I play I try to be thorough, my current weapon is the N-Zap '89 as I found that I enjoy using shooters the most. I have tried rollers, and chargers, but so far shooters work best. The abilities I look for are ink saver and Ink recovery. I also don't tend to hunt my enemies. This should give a good idea of my play style. Now for some questions.

The first is just about players with rollers. I noticed that some times a player with one will follow behind me. Despite un-inked paths. I turn, they turn. I stop they stop and so on. So far I find that dividing up at the start to cover more ground is key in the beginning, but some times rollers will follow me. At first I figured it was for cover as using a shooter can be good for this. Yet there actions beyond this don't add up. Some one will follow only to either a. back track leaving the road ahead unpainted, b if an opponent appears will not allow me to help but will jump in and usually die, or c do the logical thing and let me take on said opponent. This last part was rare. Just wanted your take on this behavior.

Second question; what team dynamic spells victory or defeat. Before I continue with this one I'll state this, i'm not in no way a pro, and am not worried about it. I understand that the main goal is to paint the floor with your teams color. Yet it seems like i'm the only one doing this half the time. My score after a round is usually between 700 and 900. Yet we often will lose, My team mates will often have scores of 400 to 500 if that. Yet are final score will end up at around 31%. I can see it when the opponents do a good job, I can tell, but after looking at kills and deaths I find my team mates will die often, vary often. Like they feel like killing is the best strategy only. I could be wrong but this is how I feel. Am I doing what i'm supposed to while being the shooter? Should I be in the fray splatting my enemies like their's no tomorrow?

Onto the last question. I like shooters, I made that point clear, but for all my searching I haven't found the perfect fit yet. I wouldn't mind looking for something with more oomph. I don't mind sacrificing some range. I notice that most of my encounters are mid range, so I ask what shooter packs the most power at mid range?

Grflrgl

Inkster Jr.
What I can tell you about rollers is that I hate facing them. I've seen them wipe out my entire in a single shot twice (our fault for being so bunched-up).

But I really like your second point and it should be shouted from the rooftops. I let rollers and bucket-carriers cover the floor, while I try to hunt - or at least distract - enemy players. Sometimes, just letting them shoot me is allowing a teammate to cover more ground someplace else. The MG's are the only shooters that do well with covering ground. The rest of the shooters - and this is just my opinion - should be shooting bad guys.

And try different weapons for different places. I use the .52 Gal Deco now for most open places (with the Seekers) , but in a few I go back to my Splattershot Pro (because of the bombs). In others, I use the Custom Duel Squelcher (because of the Killer Wail). I've been splatted by N-Zaps plenty of times, so I have a lot of respect for them. They're excellent all-around shooters. But I go for different weapons for different places. It just suits me.

And if you don't mind sacrificing some range, the Gal's will help. If you want to keep the range, the Spattershots are good, but their effectiveness diminishes after you get into the A ratings.

Atlusfox

Inkling
So far I have found that some of what you say works pretty well. I found the .52 Gal Deco and haven't switched sense. Rollers and sloshers are just not my thing. I found I tend to die a little to often to do much good, witch seems to make sense because it seems to be easiest to take out these types while using my gal. The weakness of my gal then seems to be when I go against weapons with faster fire rates.

I now see that final score doesn't matter as much. It just shows how efficiently you played during that play through, but no player is a one squid army. Some times I find my self pretty frustrated when my team has no cohesion. I found that to win a team needs a healthy balance between suppression and coverage. To much suppression and players with the rollers will paint you into oblivion, to much coverage and players will find they become easy targets giving the enemy total control. So far that's what I learned.

Grflrgl

Inkster Jr.
If you like the Gals, try to find a couple of Strength Up combos in your gear. The .52 Gal (either version) becomes a two-hit-kill weapon at that point, even if your opponent has a full defense-up load of gear.

I'm switching my own weapons again, I think. The older versions aren't getting me what I want.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
For the roller question, that's just them being newbies. There's no tactical reason or sound logic to a roller following someone else who's also inking, it's a rookie mistake that you'll see less and less as you climb the ranks.

Or maybe they're just idiots. There's lots of those in every online game, you'll always get jokers that screw around instead of playing properly, to the detriment of their team. Comes with the territory, it's something you'll have to live with as you delve into Splatoon, though that also goes away as you climb the ranks. In theory, anyway.

Shooters have a large variety of roles, because there's more variety in the shooter category than any other weapon type. If you're using the .52 gal then your role is to kill the enemy team and suppress them, since your kill speed is one of the fastest in the game but your inking capability isn't so hot what with the slow fire rate and small ink tank. Consider swim speed if you stick to mid-range shooters, since mobility is vital for those with average range - gotta keep ahead of the rollers and blasters, and out of the cross-hairs of the chargers and long-range shooters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom