• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Strongest Specials Vs. Weakest Specials?

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
This is something that's been kicking around in my head, so I wondered what the community thinks. What do you guys consider to be the strongest Special in the game, and which do you consider the weakest? (As well as just opinions on them in general if you feel like it)

I usually judge this with two major criteria, 1.) Usability: How easy is the special to use, and how much effect can you get out of it when used optimally? For example, the Kraken is easy to use, have obvious benefits and it's rare you don't get anything out of it, even if it is just a counter kill. 2.) Versatility: How versatile is the special, is it hampered or helped by specific maps or modes? This arguably the more important criteria, some specials just struggle to accomplish much consistently in certain scenarios. The echolocater is a special that is incredibly versatile, as its effect is consistent across all maps and modes and is always useful. With that out of the way,

The strongest: For me, it's a toss up between Kraken and Inkzooka. Kraken is really easy to use, and one of the premier way to counter kill in situations you almost certainly would have lost. As an added bonus, it can secure extra push on Tower Control. It's a bit trickier to use on pushes due to the nerfs its gotten over the game's life span, but I can't imagine anyone ever going wrong by having it. By contrast, the Inkzooka is trickier to use, but I've seen plenty a big play happen because it was used. It is hurt by some maps with chaotic terrain, like saltspray rig, and opposite the Kraken it does dismally at close range, but it can be a total game changer when used effectively.

The weakest: I had to think about this for a bit. Most people would peg the Killer Wail and the Inkstrike as the weakest specials in the game, but after thinking about it for a bit I'd say the Inkstrike is probably the weakest special the game has to offer. While the killer wail benefits on certain maps, Inkstrike is dependent on mode, which is not a weakness of the Killer Wail. Outside of Turf War and Splat Zones, it kind of struggles to find a niche, since as far as zoning tools go the Killer Wail or even the Inkzooka are just more usable than it. Especially the Killer Wail, which is the fastest charging special in the game and as of current patches, tends to have low special reduction on death. Just as an added thing that I don't see people mention often is that the Inkstrike doesn't land exactly where you fire it most of the time, there's an element of randomness to it. Why they added a weakening factor like that to what was already a weaker and limited ability is beyond me.

Additional mentions: Echolocater, as I said, is equally useful anywhere you could think to use it but used optimally its effect can end pretty quickly. While all Specials top off your ink, the Echolocater doesn't leave you open like some others do, so that's an added use it has. Bubbler, in some ways can be better than Kraken, since it has the invincibility and can be shared to your team. I haven't as often seen it used effectively, though, since it can't secure those guaranteed kills like the Kraken can.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
hard to say on standalone, i always look how well a special goes with the main weapon.
e.g. i find inkzooka the best on short range weapons.

but if i have to pick one, i'd go for bomb rush, less so for burst bomb rush though.
suction/splat bomb rush can easily take over an area both inking it througly (walls too) and clearing it of from enemies, and it works wonders for approaching and infliterating the enemy base.
you can still use your main weapon during the special too, lowering the risk.
though since you glow red you do want to look out for snipers and other long-range weapons, though throwing a bomb to them first can solve this.

close second is echo locator due its versatility and easy/instant to activate like you mentioned.

I find inkstrike also 'the worst', it can still be useful at times if placed right, but due the clue the enemy gets before it lands, and its range not being that big (and random) , it struggles.
not to mention you leave yourself open using it.
Though, Its niche imo would be splat zones (especially stages with 2 zones), i'd say it tops some other specials then.
and last honorable mention, a neat little trick with it, using it to quickly inkt an area in turf war at the last second.

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
In a coordinated, team environment, a Bubbler is my go to, even if it can be tricky. Think about it: if your team has lost all map control and is slowly being choked out, then how does your team step up to paint without getting killed on the spot? The only surefire and safe way to do so is with a Bubbler on hand. It opens up the game in ways many other specials can't. And it's not limited to Zones or TC, a Bubbler can be very effective on Rainmaker when popping the shield or just having a bodyguard (even with the knock back). Not only that, everyone keeps their range while in Bubble, which is something the Kraken can't say. It forces the enemy team back and can be used in any map or mode to brute force your way while pushing.

As for my weakest, I would say Echo. Hear me out. When your team gets Echoed, does it put any pressure on you? (Okay if you're sharking then it forces you to fall back) Does it stop people from outplaying each other? In the grand scheme of things, an Echo has virtually zero zoning power and no way to secure kills or prevent teammates from being pressured by opponents. An Inkstrike or a Wail (when placed correctly) can throw off opponents and open up the map for a few seconds to set up a play. An Echo can easily just be replaced by callouts in a tournament setting and have just as much effect, if not more. Solo Ranked is very different, but since we are talking competitive, I like to put things in terms of high level play.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
In a coordinated, team environment, a Bubbler is my go to, even if it can be tricky. Think about it: if your team has lost all map control and is slowly being choked out, then how does your team step up to paint without getting killed on the spot? The only surefire and safe way to do so is with a Bubbler on hand. It opens up the game in ways many other specials can't. And it's not limited to Zones or TC, a Bubbler can be very effective on Rainmaker when popping the shield or just having a bodyguard (even with the knock back). Not only that, everyone keeps their range while in Bubble, which is something the Kraken can't say. It forces the enemy team back and can be used in any map or mode to brute force your way while pushing.

As for my weakest, I would say Echo. Hear me out. When your team gets Echoed, does it put any pressure on you? (Okay if you're sharking then it forces you to fall back) Does it stop people from outplaying each other? In the grand scheme of things, an Echo has virtually zero zoning power and no way to secure kills or prevent teammates from being pressured by opponents. An Inkstrike or a Wail (when placed correctly) can throw off opponents and open up the map for a few seconds to set up a play. An Echo can easily just be replaced by callouts in a tournament setting and have just as much effect, if not more. Solo Ranked is very different, but since we are talking competitive, I like to put things in terms of high level play.
well, echo should put pressure on you, opponents know actually where you are, no matter where you are, and can easily take the drop on you.
especially when your a roller or brush.
You don't have the benefit of hidden anymore but your opponent has the benefit of surprise.
and with the majority of the weapons, you win against any opponents weapon if you can take the drop on them. (and your prey doesn't have a special like kraken or bubbler ready).
If each player of a team takes fully use of this, they can turn the tide.

Though, i do agree it a lot less useful when you can directly speak to your teammates.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom