• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Subs and Specials; When shooting is just not enough

Subs and Specials; When shooting is just not enough

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
Kayeka submitted a new guide:

Subs and Special; When shooting is just not enough - An overview of the different Sub and Special weapons available, and how to use them.

About this guide

When looking at the discussions on the forums, most of the attention seems to go to the Main Weapons. This makes perfect sense. After all, you should be counting on the main weapon to get stuff done. However, all weapons have weaknesses, and when you’re dealing with a situation where your main weapon won’t be much use, good knowledge of your other options will be crucial. This guide will list all Sub and Special weapons available to the player, and gives a...
Read more about this guide...

Gis4Gamer

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Gis4Gamer
Suction Bombs have a longer detonation time than Splat Bombs. This gives the enemy more time to escape, but gives you more control on where it explodes.

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
Suction Bombs have a longer detonation time than Splat Bombs. This gives the enemy more time to escape, but gives you more control on where it explodes.
Thought I had noticed something like that watching footage lately. I was going to confirm it myself during the next testfire, but now I can just change it right away. Thanks!

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
Just a minor detail, but you don't lose all your special meter after being splatted, just a portion of it, and certain abilities make you lose even less. Abilities that affect your sub and special are also a good point to add in the guide later, very good so far.

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
Just a minor detail, but you don't lose all your special meter after being splatted, just a portion of it, and certain abilities make you lose even less. Abilities that affect your sub and special are also a good point to add in the guide later, very good so far.
Changed the part on the amount of special meter being lost, though I don't think it actually changes the advice I gave in that section. Will definitely add the information on the perks once I can collect that sort of information.

Thank you for helping!

Xeiros

Senior Squid
Kayeka for your guide: "squidform" is not a word. Either separate the two or add a hyphen between them. "All in all, a very versatile weapon." is not a complete sentence. I'd suggest adding the actual subject to it which In this case would be Splat Bombs.

“Yeah, that kinda game.” is another fragment. You’re missing the subject again. “The suction bomb function much like the Splat Bomb.” Add an “s” to function. “The trade-off for this, is that the Suction bomb will stick to the first surface it touches.” Remove the comma.

“A nice sub-weapon for the more aggressively-minded player, trading bunker-busting for direct firepower.” is another incomplete sentence. Guess what’s missing.

“Once released, your little robot buddy wil home in on the target, and explode on contact, splatting your victim.” Will is miss-spelt. “A very interesting tool in any team’s arsenal.” is yet another fragment. The same part is missing.

“Opponents can not shoot through it, but you can, giving you a distinct advantage.” Cannot is one word, not two.

“For a certain definition of “even”, of course.” is yet another fragment. This is your most common mistake and this isn’t the last one. You cannot simply assume the subject of one sentence because it is in a prior one. That’s not how it works.

“Uses little ink, so there’s no reason not to start off all firefights with this.” Look at that. Now using just that sentence, what exactly uses little ink? You can’t say. Fix it. “Loaded with ink.” I’d suggest combining this fragment with the previous sentence in your guide to make it a complete one.

“Fire powerful tiny tornadoes that travel very far and reach really high.” Not only this missing the subject, but with one included it should be fires not fire.

“A pretty scary prospect.” ”A potent weapon to take care of multiple spread-out foes.” Take a wild guess what these two fragments are missing.

“As such, you can not expect to get splats with this, unless the opponent is completely cornered and you’re just stylin’.” You know the drill; cannot is one word, not two.

“A small price to pay for such a great option in flushing enemies out of cover.” I wasn’t kidding when I said this is your most common mistake. A sentence must be able to stand on its own as a complete thought or it’s only a fragment at best. In order to properly get your point across to the reader, you cannot leave out any vital information.

“Another great bunker-busting option.” “A nice, straightforward, and pretty spectacular fire-and-forget weapon.” What exactly are the subjects of these two examples? That’s right. They don’t have subjects.

“Your opponent will have no choice but to run away or find themselves pasted over the floor.” “Opponent” is singular. “Themselves” is plural. Either add in “s” to opponent or change themselves to just them.

“Think of it: how havock could you wreck with an entire team that’s invulnerable for a few seconds?” Add the word "much" between how and havock which incidentally should be havoc.

"A weapon which main advantage is being pretty darn scary." Just read this. Slowly.

"Other than that, not particularly impressive." This is like a running joke for you. What's not particularity impressive? The reader should know just by reading that sentence. Stop neglecting the subject! It's vital to the reader's comprehension!

“Doesn’t look very good on your youtube channel, but this is the sort of thing that might just help take the game.” I’m just going to bang my head against this wall over here. Don’t mind me.

Last edited:

CatBeard

Inkling
NNID
Tirwin200
I like your guide and thought it was very good and informative. I have found another use for the sprinkler though. My personal strategy is to use it as a distraction and nuisance. At one point I was kelp charger against splatter scope. He was on his crate in Walleye Warehouse. I threw the sprinkler into a prime bit of enemy ink right in his field of view. The moment he scoped in on it, I came from his side and Splat! He was too focused to see me. I also like to throw it in the enemy base while they're all out. I especially like to throw it high up where only long range weapons can hit. I once had a sprinkler inking the enemy base for a third of the match as they kept trying to shoot it down. I remember laughing as I watched the ink blot grow and shrink on the map. Another thing to note is that it can kill in 4 hits. It may not be much damage, but if someone's already sitting in your ink and hit by a sprinkler, they're almost dead already. There have been several time's I got a kill without realizing it because my sprinkler was on the other side of the stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom