• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Super Mario Maker

toadster101

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0022-0027-5937
I think it looks fantastic and I will be getting it on launch, 9/11 be damned. The only thing it seems to be lacking is Super Mario Bros. 2 assets, which would have been nice to have. Oh yeah, and the ability to create slopes is conspicuously absent. Huh. That's going to place limitations on level design, but overall, I'm impressed.

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
I tried it out at the Play Nintendo demo at Best Buy along with Tri Force Heroes. Both are good. I'll definitely be getting Super Mario Maker around the time it releases.
The only thing it seems to be lacking is Super Mario Bros. 2 assets
The original Super Mario Bros. 2 uses the same assets as the original Super Mario Bros. The "Super Mario Bros. 2" that was released in North America is a re-skinned version of Yume Koujou: Doki Doki Panic developed by Fuji Television and overseen by Nintendo to promote a big Yume Koujou event in the late 80s. Back then, nobody was aware of this outside the companies involved, because the World Wide Web wasn't built by Berners-Lee until 1989 (and the very first web page in 1990).

Now it is pretty well known that the Super Mario Bros. 2 released in North America was not the original Super Mario Bros. 2, but many still accept it as a Super Mario Bros. game, because it (along with Doki Doki Panic) is in the top 3 of bestselling NES/FC games worldwide and established several characters and traits in the Super Mario Bros. series.

While still a great "Mario" game, SMB2/YKDDP plays very differently than the other Mario games. You can look up more on this, but the reason the assets you are referring to are not in Super Mario Maker is probably for this reason, along with possible licensing issues.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Oh hell yes!
A Mario level maker? With different gameplay based on which game you select? And stackable enemies? And homing bullet bills? And pilotable clown cars? And Bowser Jr? And lakitus that throw whatever I want? And bill cannons that shoot anything? And a power-up that makes you play like Luigi? And you can ride the SHOE?! AND IT'S COMING OUT THIS YEAR?!
Yeah, that sounds like my kind of thing. Definitely gonna see if I can make bullet hell Mario a thing when I get my hands on it. Or just make an entire level of Lakitus that throw Bowsers

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
I'll probably be getting the game, but I'm not really creative, so I'll just play other people's levels. Hope there's some rating system to rate individual levels, and hope it's not all connected to miiverse.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I'll probably be getting the game, but I'm not really creative, so I'll just play other people's levels. Hope there's some rating system to rate individual levels, and hope it's not all connected to miiverse.
Hopefully there'll be some kind of review system, but I don't see it being tied to Miiverse.
Now being asked to post your thoughts about someone else's level on Miiverse when you beat it, I could see that happening.
So I heard something about a 100-life challenge or something. Does anyone know what that is?

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
Personally, I cannot wait to see the videos of the stages posted for this game.

I absolutely love all the insane Mario TAS stage runs, and I'm sure this will be no exception.

"OH GOD THERE SHOULDN'T BE THIS MANY BULLET BILLS ON THE SCREEN AT ONCE! WHY IS THE PIRANHA PLANT SHOOTING THEM AT ME?!"

Teeples

Full Squid
NNID
Flow_Teeples
I've been hyped for this game for ages.

However, I was skeptical about it, always saw it as a make or break and my god I'm so happy it turned out as a make.

Stoked beyond belief for this.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
It reminds me a bit of Little Big Planet. I logged a lot of hours into the LBP series and I hope I will as well into Super Mario Marker! I just got the game in the past day and I have to say, it's pretty dang innovative. It just sucks that we Americans are slow to the punch in receiving it. Then again, that's the case for most games.

#Brace For More MAD

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Me and my brother grew up on Mario and Nintendo so naturally I got this on day 1. (Thanks Amazon~)

The editor is honestly the best part of it. We spend hours making levels, and doing the 100 Mario Challenge.
My bro made a level dedicated to Animal Crossing's Digby, who we joke about. I'm mostly proud of my castle level.
Mostly for the secret in it.

Doing the 100 Mario Challenge however, brought up a huge problem with the game. Most of the levels made by other players however
quite frankly, stink. The majority of them have no flow, running through hordes of enemies with the starman, are meant to be played without
touching anything on the controller (autoplay levels), maze levels, edited tutorial levels, troll levels on expert, heck anything on expert, there's
so much bad levels that seeing a good level almost feels like a Bigfoot sighting.

Another problem is that for now, you will barely play any levels in the SMB3 and SMW themes, I know you have to unlock them,
but when I'm playing SMB and NSMBU for what seems like forever especially after a couple of days, it gets a little old.
I'd like to thank the guy who put in the skip stage feature in 100 Mario Challenge, because there's some levels you just don't want
to put up with, especially when trying to get Mystery Mushroom Costumes.

Overall though, I'm still very sastified with it! Despite the mostly poor levels the community made, the level editor alone makes it
that much more enjoyable. If you're a Mario fan, it's definitely worth checking out.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Eh, people are still learning how to make Mario. They're not gonna become EAD overnight, y'know. It'll be a while before great levels become more common.
And yeah, not having SMB3 and SMW off the bat sucks. Fortunately you can unlock them fairly quickly, but it still seems a bit odd, considering NSMB is unlocked from the start.
But yeah, the editor is easily the best thing about Mario Maker. Can't wait to see what else they add to it. Hopefully we'll get slopes at some point. And Luigi. I'd like to see properly-playable Luigi in Mario Maker (not just a mushroom).

On a semi-related note, how do you unlock the Luigi Mushroom (the one that makes Mario skinny and tall and weird-looking, and makes him jump higher and his traction Luigi-y)? I've seen it, it looks funny, I want to play around with it, but I don't know how to get it.

Oh, and hopefully we get Poison Mushrooms at some point. Those would be fun to work with.

Also, I've made a couple of possibly-not-crap levels in Mario Maker. Here are the codes, if anyone wants to give them a go:
B8D8-0000-0016-CF66
A2A4-0000-0018-3F51

Gonna make that level of just Bowser-throwing Lakitus tonight

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Eh, people are still learning how to make Mario. They're not gonna become EAD overnight, y'know. It'll be a while before great levels become more common.
And yeah, not having SMB3 and SMW off the bat sucks. Fortunately you can unlock them fairly quickly, but it still seems a bit odd, considering NSMB is unlocked from the start.
But yeah, the editor is easily the best thing about Mario Maker. Can't wait to see what else they add to it. Hopefully we'll get slopes at some point. And Luigi. I'd like to see properly-playable Luigi in Mario Maker (not just a mushroom).

On a semi-related note, how do you unlock the Luigi Mushroom (the one that makes Mario skinny and tall and weird-looking, and makes him jump higher and his traction Luigi-y)? I've seen it, it looks funny, I want to play around with it, but I don't know how to get it.

Oh, and hopefully we get Poison Mushrooms at some point. Those would be fun to work with.

Also, I've made a couple of possibly-not-crap levels in Mario Maker. Here are the codes, if anyone wants to give them a go:
B8D8-0000-0016-CF66
A2A4-0000-0018-3F51

Gonna make that level of just Bowser-throwing Lakitus tonight
I just beat your two levels. The second one is harder than the first. Those levels you made are far more creative than most stuff I've seen.
I uploaded 3 of my World 1 stages, there's no SMB3 or SMW themes in them though. They're not the best, but I thought I would share anyway.

2167-0000-0032-E9AB
4B7A-0000-0032-F048
D07E-0000-0032-F1A6

Edit: The Skinny Mushroom? I heard it's unlocked through the 10 Mario Challenge (Not 100 Mario Challenge)
You have to keep beating it until you finally play the last four stages, which are the NWC Courses,
beat those and you'll get the Skinny Mushroom. When you do unlock it, shake the Super Mushroom
and it'll turn into a Skinny Mushroom.

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
I am waiting for all the crappy stages to blow over. I think the community will only improve.

Agadez

Octobrush Crackerjack
I haven't made any stages yet, but I'm really curious to see everyone's creations :V with that said. I'm gonna try out the stages posted here. :V @ILikeKirbys @Noire

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I just beat your two levels. The second one is harder than the first. Those levels you made are far more creative than most stuff I've seen.
Haha, thanks!

I uploaded 3 of my World 1 stages, there's no SMB3 or SMW themes in them though. They're not the best, but I thought I would share anyway.

2167-0000-0032-E9AB
4B7A-0000-0032-F048
D07E-0000-0032-F1A6
These were nice, I liked them.

Edit: The Skinny Mushroom? I heard it's unlocked through the 10 Mario Challenge (Not 100 Mario Challenge)
You have to keep beating it until you finally play the last four stages, which are the NWC Courses,
beat those and you'll get the Skinny Mushroom. When you do unlock it, shake the Super Mushroom
Thanks! Now I've just gotta beat 10-Mario a lot.

Which I've been doing for a bit now, and I should've done this before making any levels outside Pipes of Peril, because they did things I never would've thought of in the sample courses.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Thanks for the comment! :)

I am surprised that that my castle level has about a 26% clear rate...
It was intended to be our World 1 castle level and I'm surprised quite a few people had a hard time with it.
Anyway, there's a secret in it, nothing much.

In the middle of the level, you'll notice a note block. You'll need to be Super Mario.
Don't hit the brick block on the left of the note block. It'll be used later. Use the note block to clear the blocks vertically leading
to another one above you. Then clear the vertical row of blocks on the left of the one you just destroyed to reveal a hidden
block with a Bob-omb inside.

He'll start traveling back and forth above you and you'll have to hit him with the above note block using the one below you.
If you did it right, he'll explode to your left clearing some of the blocks. Destroy any others in case he didn't do a good job.
It happens. Now hit the brick block and run into the piranha plant to power down, now go up the path you made
and enjoy the secret!

Sorry for the mouthful.

I'll upload some more, but they need a little polish first.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Thanks for the comment! :)

I am surprised that that my castle level has about a 26% clear rate...
It was intended to be our World 1 castle level and I'm surprised quite a few people had a hard time with it.
Yeah, that is kinda surprising. I found it kinda easy to be honest (though I didn't find the secret area).

Anyway, there's a secret in it, nothing much.

In the middle of the level, you'll notice a note block. You'll need to be Super Mario.
Don't hit the brick block on the left of the note block. It'll be used later. Use the note block to clear the blocks vertically leading
to another one above you. Then clear the vertical row of blocks on the left of the one you just destroyed to reveal a hidden
block with a Bob-omb inside.

He'll start traveling back and forth above you and you'll have to hit him with the above note block using the one below you.
If you did it right, he'll explode to your left clearing some of the blocks. Destroy any others in case he didn't do a good job.
It happens. Now hit the brick block and run into the piranha plant to power down, now go up the path you made
and enjoy the secret!

Sorry for the mouthful.
No need to be sorry if your post is a bit long. Believe me, I've gone longer. Far longer.
And I was wondering how to get to that! Thanks!

I'll upload some more, but they need a little polish first.
I'm the same way with anything with a level editor. Well, maybe a bit worse. I can't keep anything unless it's perfect.

And I just realized while playing through them that the NWC levels had one level for each theme. That's... actually really nice.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Yeah, that is kinda surprising. I found it kinda easy to be honest (though I didn't find the secret area).
Glad to hear it's not bad for you. :) It's supposed to be easy after all.

No need to be sorry if your post is a bit long. Believe me, I've gone longer. Far longer.
And I was wondering how to get to that! Thanks!
I always feel bad making long posts thinking "Gee, look at that guy run his mouth!" Thank you for your words!

I'm the same way with anything with a level editor. Well, maybe a bit worse. I can't keep anything unless it's perfect.

And I just realized while playing through them that the NWC levels had one level for each theme. That's... actually really nice.
I always waste time trying to make things look nice. Some find it unnecessary but that's part of my polish.
And my brother completed the four NWC Courses last night, the last one made him quite crossed.
We did unlock the Skinny Mushroom.

I'm getting to the end of my upload limit, but here's four more courses.
This one's a short World 2 course.

BA54-0000-0037-9F58

And these three are World 3 Courses, they may be hard or easy, depends on the player.

DE45-0000-0037-A054
10F8-0000-0037-A12C
A2A3-0000-0037-A216

Even though there's 4 courses in each World in my game, my bro made some of them, and he'll upload them
on his own accord. He'll make a account here if he wants to share them.
He's a big Splatoon player and he doesn't share my issue with online gaming. The guy's level 43 last time I checked?

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
A lot of people are freaked out at how Mario looks after obtaining this powerup. Some call him Slender Mario and the sound effects for him are... kinda chilling. My friend Mat cannot play the game without cringing when he plays Skinny Mario. It's pretty hilarious actually watching him react to that. Though I agree the sound effects are creepy.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
A lot of people are freaked out at how Mario looks after obtaining this powerup. Some call him Slender Mario and the sound effects for him are... kinda chilling. My friend Mat cannot play the game without cringing when he plays Skinny Mario. It's pretty hilarious actually watching him react to that. Though I agree the sound effects are creepy.
Indeed. Skinny Mario is odd and out of place in this game. I understand it's to give the player Luigi physics without actually putting Luigi in the game.
(Not counting the mystery mushroom costume). But the sprite for it is less comical and more uhh, creepy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom