• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Super Mario Switch Hype Thread!

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I hope this game is allowed to have its own thread!
I know that we've only seen about 6 seconds of footage, but my mind is going wild with speculation and theories and ideas!

If you haven't yet, I suggest watching Gamexplain's analysis on the new footage for a primer on all the little details:

What are your hopes or expectations for this game? I thought the graphics were noticeably a step up from 3D World, for starters. Things seem less glossy and more real-but-still-cartoony, if that makes sense?

Secondly, the Latin America-inspired setting seems to definitely be more of a hub than a stage. It's not sprawling like Delfino Isle, though. So I am wondering if there will be multiple towns to explore and progress through, connected by a series of stages. Maybe the stages will be more linear like 3D World (or maybe not), and once all of the stages are completed in one town, you can go to the next one. However, I do think a star collecting system like 64/Sunshine/Galaxy would be more fun. Maybe instead it's based on a star collection requirement to progress from one town to another. Or I could be completely off base with all of this! I'm just spitballing because its fun!!!!

The Gamexplain video mentioned that it -looks- like Mario gets a boost of speed following a long jump. This could combine mechanics from Galaxy and 3D World. In 3D World you'd get a boost if you maintained a run for a few seconds. Maybe long jumping will insta-boost. This makes me wonder what other mechanics will be introduced! Also the triple jump is back, so I think that's a key indicator that this is more Galaxy or Sunshine than it will be 3D World.

I wonder if the ice or crystals visible in the trailer will be a key point in the storyline? Maybe it will be a Super Mario Country: Tropical Freeze? An ice-themed antagonist in a Mario game would be really cool. What if Bowser isn't the bad guy at all this time? I yearn for the days when Mario took on other antagonists like Wart and Wario. It would be cool to see Bowser even take on a reluctant support role of some kind (kind of like King Dedede in most new Kirby games).

The last point I want to bring up -for now- is that the woman in the video goes over to the party and takes her Switch with her. We don't know what they are playing, but wouldn't it be the coolest if this new Mario game is like Galaxy/Sunshine but with the multiplayer of 3D World? Imagine traversible open areas with multiple people. The camera could be tricky (maybe it will be possible with separate Switches playing together though?) I remember Miyamoto saying he wanted Galaxy to be co-op, but they couldn't get a grasp on how to make the camera work. With the linear levels of 3D World, it wasn't too much of a challenge, but maybe they've found a sweet spot on the Switch game.

What points do you guys want to bring up? I am nearly as hyped for this as I am for Splatoon! I <3 MARIO

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom