• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Super Splat Bros Inkling Guide

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
So I like many people in this community are trying to learn how to play inkling and honestly they are a tricky and fun character and one of my favorite newcommers

So I wanted to make a thread to share advice, changes matchups, and funny momments to learning to use our favorite squid kids

Here is my advice for playing inklings:

-Up throw to up air is a true combo and kill confirm once an enemy is at 120%

-You use no ink using splatroller in the air (even if it hits an enemy) and give inkling tons of aerial drift

-Up throw nair to side b (more specifically the overhead nair to side b) is unreactable and can deal significant damage

-After side b bury it take about 3 to 6 seconds (I believe), if you jab as they are about to be released it will reset into, throws combos or mixups

-Always focus on your ink, you might dro
*Down b is a good way to cover you to ink recovery against close range combatants

-Back throw is a kill throw, up throw is a kill confirm, down throw is a combo throw, and foward throw is best for inking enemies

Leave any tips, advice, or simply cool momments below I working towards maining this character and would love to hear any advice you got

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
I'm actually planning on making an Inkling Guide on Smashboards by maybe Christmas so I'll put it here when it's finished.

Cephalobro

I have used Inkling quite a lot during my World of Light playthrough, he's a very unique character. Unlike Splatoon, running out of ink in Smash doesn't severely limit him. However, ink can only be recharged if it is run out completely.

Cephalobro

...What? This isn't true...
From my experience, he just looks at his Ink Tank since Down B also throws the Splat Bomb, so when the Ink Tank is too little for a Splat Bomb to be thrown, he doesn't recharge and instead looks at the Ink Tank.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
From my experience, he just looks at his Ink Tank since Down B also throws the Splat Bomb, so when the Ink Tank is too little for a Splat Bomb to be thrown, he doesn't recharge and instead looks at the Ink Tank.
You press shield and B to recover ink my suggestion is to use RB and the B buttom so you don't misinput and end up using an splat bomb I did that alot at first

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
You can refill anytime with shield + special, but if you're completely out of ink then you can refill with a different button combination—I can't remember which—or the normal shield + special.

I've skimmed a few clips where immediately after a splat roller bury they cancel into an immediate short hop backwards for a side or up smash. Anyone know how that's done?

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233

Saw this video yesterday it gives some great tips for make good use of side b and down b, keeping track of your ink, as well as the best moves for inking your opponent

Cephalobro

I have played Smash online as Inkling and if you know how to play him right, he can be a beast at staying for as long as possible. I just played a 1-on-1 match against Simon Belmont who can kick your butt if you're not careful and the match eventually became sudden death since we were tied with one stock each.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
I have played Smash online as Inkling and if you know how to play him right, he can be a beast at staying for as long as possible. I just played a 1-on-1 match against Simon Belmont who can kick your butt if you're not careful and the match eventually became sudden death since we were tied with one stock each.
I think that the Belmonts are Inkling's worst matchup.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
From what snippets I've noticed, the inklings have been mixing salt into their ink-tanks, supposedly:
  • the Belmontsr are strong counter to inklings
  • inklings are too good and must be nerfed
  • roller is OP
I find the last one extremely hilarious given the history and perception of rollers throughout the franchise.

Cephalobro

Believe it or not, I've won a 1-on-1 match against a Simon Belmont main as Inkling, but make no mistake in thinking it was easy, that was a particularly tough battle.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The Belmonts can be tricky, but I don't think they're exceptionally good against Inkling or anything.
Inkling is fast, has some ranged options and her recovery game is good agains the Belmonts. The biggest issue for Inkling vs Simon/Richter is getting a solid smash attack in, but you always have the roller.

That said, I don't think the Inklings are OP either. It's not only way too early to say something like that, but there's so many different ways to play Smash that something can only be OP in a certain context. OP in high-level competitive play? Irrelevant for the grand majority of players. OP in your average online matches? With the amount of variation in skill and character choices I find that a bit shady as well. I've played a lot of 1-on-1 multiplayer, both offline and online, and though I personally find Inkling one of my favorite characters, I wouldn't ever draw the conclusion she's OP.

But then, I've heard most characters called OP at this point already.

Cephalobro

One thing to keep in mind about Inkling is that he slows down on the roller move if he's out of ink, which can be dangerous if you're at a high percentage that's enough to be launched off-screen from the likes of fast fighters like Little Mac.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
So whenever I overhand a splat bomb to bean someone in the face or upside the head, they fly forward, towards me.

I've learned that a while ago, and it's very satisfying when I intended it, but does anyone have a clue why that even happens when they should be flying away from me instead? It just seems so weird. ┐(シ)┌

Cephalobro

It's because the arc of the throw depends on how long you hold down B, you can get throws from a safe distance this way, especially when you need to be able to keep Bayonetta and the Belmonts away to refill the Ink Tank.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
To be honest the Splat Bomb is probably the worst of all Inkling's moves. It uses ink without inking much of the opponent, it can be pretty slow (at least for Inkling's quick playstyle), it also is hard to properly aim. Another thing: it doesn't do a lot of damage and doesn't even launch much!

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Splat Bomb is meant for stage control; The explosion is pretty large and it lingers a bit. You won't really kill with it, but its function is to create some more stuff the opponent has to deal with at one time. It's a pretty big contrast with how it functions in Splatoon, where it can kill better than most main weapons tbh, but it's not a bad attack at all.

I will say it's more useful in Battlefield than in Final Destination.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
To be honest the Splat Bomb is probably the worst of all Inkling's moves. It uses ink without inking much of the opponent, it can be pretty slow (at least for Inkling's quick playstyle), it also is hard to properly aim. Another thing: it doesn't do a lot of damage and doesn't even launch much!
Again as Minkukel said it is meant for stage control, but it has a few other purposes as well

-It is actually the most quickest way to max damage with inkling, with it you immediately cover the person to the 1.5× dmg boost percent

-It is an easy way as mention to recover ink most close range player can approach so you can recover anda long range player will most time have to throw out a long range laggy move which you can punish with aerials

-Lastly, it is great for condition enemies to recover high, tossing a bomb off stage will force a player to jump , airdodge or again recover high seeing how a player reacts you can either use it as a ledge trap, or gimp then to the blast zone

Overall bombs are situational but not neccesarily a bad move....

I also do believe that the inkling aren't neccesarily OP they struggle with kill options and overall require keeping an eye on you ink tank, but certainly I do believe they are meta defining (an kind broken in doubles) especially since they damage multiplyer from ink is unavoidable in neutral and so many moves cover an opponent to near max ink damage

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Speaking of struggling with kill options--how the heck do I finish off people with inkling anyway?!

It feels like my most consistent KOs are just due to them being unable to recover back on stage. And without me having to impede them too--I don't know how to chase them off stage. T_T

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom