• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Superstar Ranked - Reset your Rank Plus Interest?

Would you play this?

• Yes! I like a challenge.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. I like my sanity.

• Only while recording.

• Yes, including Superstar Anchor. My life took a dark turn somewhere.

• No, and I think it's still a bad idea to put S+ Rankers with C Rankers.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

SilverBrick

Pro Squid
NNID
SilverBrick
So girlgirlHERO made a thread about resetting your account once you get to S+99, and starting out on C*, but it takes longer to rank up. It had pretty mixed reviews, but I don't particularly like the idea.

If you start out with all the C rankers, you're massively more experienced than them so games aren't fun for either party, and you stick around for longer because that's how the ranking system works.

On the other hand, if you start with only other C* rankers, what's the point in making it a C* rank, as opposed to an S++? That just means there's a higher wall to climb, and the people who climbed to the top are the same people who will stay at the top, regardless of how high the top is. All adding more ranks is doing is making it even grindier for lower-ranked people to get to the highest rank.

So here's my idea: You've climbed the wall once. Climb it again, but this time do it with your eyes closed.

When you get to S+99, a new option opens up for you: Superstar Ranked (SsR). You still keep access to regular Ranked, and if you lose your S+99, SsR doesn't lock itself again, so you have nothing to lose from playing either mode.

Once again you start at C*, playing with the other C rankers, but this time you have massive penalties placed on you. Run/Swim Speed debuffs, halved health, none of your equipment works, you're banned from all but your least-used weapons, and you get a separate SsR turf inked counter for the weapons which increases slightly faster than the regular one... That kind of thing. You're also placed in the high-level matchmaking immediately, rather than having to endure level 3s for 7 games in a row.

When you rank up to B*, you're suddenly at 60 health, and your first Sub ability for each piece of equipment is working (but not the Main). You get access to a few more weapons, your SsR turf inked counters increase faster (so you have to switch weapons more often or you get locked out of them), and earn slightly more money from each match. You can choose to continue playing with the C* penalties if you really want a challenge and/or hate yourself, and you get even more money if you do.

Rank up to A*, and you might be a god in disguise. Here's a bunch of weapons you've probably missed! Now you have 70 health, your Run/Swim speed are close to normal, and your second Sub ability for each piece of equipment is working again! Even better, you get more money per game, and every game counts as 2 in regards to Super Sea Snails! Careful though, your SsR turf inked counter skyrockets on whatever weapon you use, so you're going to have to get used to playing many, many different weapons. And again, you can take B* or C* penalties if you want more cash and even more Super Sea Snails. That counter goes up to the hundreds for a reason, damnit!

S* now, and you're definitely a god, and a pretty poor actor at that. More weapons, 80 health, and your Run/Swim speed debuffs have vanished. Your third Sub abilities work now, not that you need them. Only a few of your most used weapons are locked away, but the SsR turf inked counter increases so quickly now that one game with a weapon will almost certainly lock it - and the counter increases even faster the higher up S* you get. And now you're rich, and have more Super Sea Snails than you know what to do with, so just use the money for item rerolls and Spyke will trade your Super Sea Snails for awesome main, sub and special weapon reskins and duplicate clothing, which you can use in regular play. Never go without an ability combo again!

S+*? I think not! Welcome to Anchor rank, the prime of Splatoon. Face off against S+ opponents and other Anchor rankers (that's fun to say), with 90 health and almost all of your weapons available. Your third Subs stopped working, but you finally have access to the Main abilities of all your equipment! Ah, the sweet bliss of Stealth jump. Or, I don't know, whatever other abilities are only available on the Main slot. Cold Blooded or whatever. Even more money per game, even more Super Sea Snails to trade off like little tiny tasty slaves, and when you get to Anchor 99, you unlock another little gamemode.

Superstar Anchor: Like Anchor rank, but you always have the C* penalties, and once you use a weapon it's locked until you've played almost every other weapon.

God help you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom