• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Surviving S Rank

DE235

Full Squid
NNID
Decrosis
I need help on doing well in S rank. I have reached it a few times but I get sent back down anyone have any tips. I use mostly shooters like the Custom Jet squelcher and splater shot pro.

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
For these two weapons you need to have a good sense of distance. Basically, you have more distance than the very common weapons (Tentatek, Luna, .52, and even a tiny bit more than the .96 with the last patch) with the Pro, and a nice plus with the Jet. You need to make something out of this advantage, if you keep exchanging with shorter weapons it's a real problem.

Don't be too agressive, and don't be easy to kill. Just wait for the right time to push, because your weapon won't be the one creating the push most of the time. Though you need to know how to play your weapons in a lot of situations and still be able to push with it, of course, especially in solo.

Well, besides this, I would say it's easier to rank up with more agressive weapons, but it's very interesting to make improvement with defensive ones, so keep up with them and don't give up!

I can't really give you more precise tips as I have no idea of what your games look like, and what mistakes are preventing you to improve.

PS: The Pro had a nice buff. Because my new FAI is a #"ù%* I couldn't play for one month and I'm still waiting, but I'm pretty sure this should help you.

Shun_one

Pro Squid
NNID
not_shun_one
Work in tandem with your squad. This will be difficult, as at times they will flat out ignore you and just do what they want, but you can use this to your advantage. If they keep charging the same way every time, go around and flank. To do well here you'll need a good bit of knowledge on how each weapon type wants to play so you can help your team and hinder your foes. If you've got a Carbon or Krak-on Roller on your side, make sure they have lots of ink to swim in for ambushes as one example.

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
I can't see your video as it's "private". If you can change that I'll look at it tonight.

Alpha359

Full Squid
NNID
voyagersonic
So as it's already been said you need to have the ability to play at a distance with these weapons, they're both shooters with a very good range and you must take advantage of that (the Jet has the longest range of all the shooters). I've also posted a good weapon guide on the Jet Squelcher which I'm sure will be quite beneficial for you.

Another thing that I would suggest is to go and check out the various gameplay guides here on 'Squidboards' if you haven't already done so as they give some really solid advice about ranking up. Furthermore, you should also have a look at some of the Splatoon youtube channels out there such as 'Nintendome', 'ThatSrb2Dude', 'Squids Next Door', and 'Squidkids' as they also provide extremely helpful gameplay tips.

Good luck!

PS: This is kind of depressing to mention but I feel compelled to tell you that I've been stuck in S rank for a good while now (lost count of how many months), reached in the 90s twice and have also been knocked back down to A+ a couple of times as well.

Deathwish

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Keena_Ironweaver
Just remember to watch your back for sneak attacks, read your team's movements while predicting the enemy's, and play the role your team needs from you, whether it be supporting, pushing forward, or defending. When it comes to Tower Control, Rainmaker, and Splat Zones, DO NOT take your eyes off the objective for a moment, because that leaves room for the enemy to make an unexpected comeback, even if you were 2 points away from a KO victory. If you're in the lead, focus on preserving the victory and staying close to the Rainmaker or tower. Don't get splatted over a splat zone. It's one of the biggest mistakes you can make, because not only will it be easier for the enemy to gain control; covering that ground again will take the attention off a teammate or yourself, which also means an enemy might just be waiting to strike again. (Again, watch your back. Checking your surroundings not only helps you avoid danger; it helps you plan where to go next.) If you keep getting splatted by taking a certain route, take a different one before trying again. If you're at a disadvantage, don't engage combat. If lucky, maybe you can lure your opponent into an ambush. (One of my favorite things to do. There's nothing like making your enemies think you're fleeing, then swimming directly toward/under them and splatting from behind.) Also, keep in mind that gear and weapons should work well together for a strategy, but more importantly, for you. A strategy is useless if it's not your play style. If it's not working well for you, it could be your subconscious mood. You might be better off with a different weapon, even if you were on a roll with another weapon earlier. Ever play for a long time and feel like you're getting worse the longer you play? A play-style can get "stale" if you don't mix things up every now and then. If you get frustrated, take a break and clear your mind a bit. You should do better afterwards, and if not, keep in mind that rank isn't just a status. It's there to help match you up with players around your skill level.

mark (>*.*)>

Inkling
NNID
mttmercado
be sure to try all versions of the weapons you like to play,even if some don't have your preferred set up. i find it improves your overall use of the weapon itself when you learn how to use it in different ways. using the custom eliter forced me to not rely on burst bombs for close encounters, and the same went for the custom JR. that has the disrupters and locater, it made using the bubbling splatbomb JR easier, although i love the custom JR more now

ParanoidDrone

Full Squid
NNID
ParanoidDrone
For these two weapons you need to have a good sense of distance. Basically, you have more distance than the very common weapons (Tentatek, Luna, .52, and even a tiny bit more than the .96 with the last patch) with the Pro, and a nice plus with the Jet. You need to make something out of this advantage, if you keep exchanging with shorter weapons it's a real problem.

Don't be too agressive, and don't be easy to kill. Just wait for the right time to push, because your weapon won't be the one creating the push most of the time. Though you need to know how to play your weapons in a lot of situations and still be able to push with it, of course, especially in solo.

Well, besides this, I would say it's easier to rank up with more agressive weapons, but it's very interesting to make improvement with defensive ones, so keep up with them and don't give up!

I can't really give you more precise tips as I have no idea of what your games look like, and what mistakes are preventing you to improve.

PS: The Pro had a nice buff. Because my new FAI is a #"ù%* I couldn't play for one month and I'm still waiting, but I'm pretty sure this should help you.
This so much. I personally tend to gravitate toward medium to long range weapons (.52, .96, Splattershot Pro, Dual Squelcher, not chargers though) but I have a difficult time accurately gauging distance to the target and tend to err on the side of being too close, which results in a lot of trades even against things like Krak-Ons.

It doesn't help that in the rare instances where I'm trying to duel someone using the same base weapon as me, it's a tossup if I'll even get a single shot on them before they splat me, which only further reinforces my tendency to get closer if only so I can be sure my shots will actually hit. It's annoying.

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
Eh... Finally I was happy to see that the video was not private anymore! But, what a bad choice of game. You're asking for guidance, you should have picked a game with difficulties, a loss for instance. Not a very easy-to-win game, what could we say about it?

The only things I can see from the video are the two following:

- Your stuff seems very special-oriented. I would say it's better not to depend on your special too much with this weapon, but I guess it's a choice, so it's not the reason why you're not able to stay S.
- You're very defensive.

If you like being defensive it makes sense that you use these two weapons, which kinda are defensive weapons. But be careful not to be too passive. For example in this game, you could have taken advantage of the great position you were in by advancing towards the opponents base, on "their hill" for example. It's important to take the most you can of an advantage.

By staying behind the zone, the opponents can still reach it, so it's not the best place to be. Of course you should stay behind your allies, and back off if they need a jump or if the opponents are advancing, but I didn't see the will of advancing. By going to their hill, you can turf their part of the map, prevent them of coming back, support your allies in fights and so on. By staying so far away from them, you're just waiting for the enemies to come back. It means your allies are in a 4v3 (but the map is their color).

At 1:00 you are at a good place, taking advantage of your range and assisting your friends. It's a shame you didn't do it on the other side of the zone later in the game, even though it was not needed in this one game.

I hope you see what I mean... It's kinda "too much" to say this on this game where you did fairly good, but it's just a feeling I have that you might lose some games where you are in the lead, but finally let the opponent come back in the last seconds, just because you were too kind with them.

Anyway gg, and I think you are a good match for these weapons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom