• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Taunting? Yes or no?

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
As a strategy it's nice. If you just want to be a **** though, no. I don't mind when people taunt against me though, especially because I see taunting as a strategic method. Since I focus on outranging opponents though, I don't use it myself.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Depends on what sort of taunting being used. For me, it's more communicative than strategic.

Squidbagging I find rather egregious to both play and the community. Some taunting chargers make me go "meh, I'm not impressed" unless I've been giving them a difficult time for most of the match.

Sometimes I'll twirl and dance if I splat you with an inkbrush or bamboolzer because, really, I splated you with an inkbrush/bamboozler! Anyone I've felt I've been in a duel with gets a hopefully polite bow . A spawncamper, someone I splat with a splash wall, a rainmaker bearer, or anyone I manage not to let by me gets a headshaking "no" or wave. If I'm using a splatling while locking down or pushing back, maybe some headbanging. Dancers I'll respond to in kind (and try to serve them =p) And if I splat you with a sprinkler I'll tilt my head to one side, hang my head and shake it, or just stand there.

But this all depends if I have some breathing room and a chance to taunt. Otherwise, with gameplay as it is, things are much too frenetic or I'm just too busy to bother being cordially.

Coco24

Inkling
Don't taunt unless you are prepared to get taunted at. Personally i only start taunting after someone taunts me, it creates a bit of rivalry which also is kind of fun?

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
You don't really have enough time to taunt. Even squidbagging is wasting time you could be inking the ground, or advancing forward.

Deathwish

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Keena_Ironweaver
I love it when someone taunts back when they splat me after I've done the same to them repeatedly. Made some pretty fun friends that way, and it's worth a good laugh. After all, this is a game, not a job. ^^

Edgy Page

Inkling
NNID
Not_Even_Razi
I usually don't start squidbagging unless I feel that a rivalry of sorts has been established (multiple matches against each other, multiple extended 1v1s, etc.) and I always reciprocate a squidbagging unless the match gets in the way, of course. I don't have anything against it and I'm usually down for some taunting but I'm not always squidbagging because that's just obnoxious.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Definitely I'll taunt somebody if I'm feeling ****y/pissed enough, though the way I do it probably comes across as me being an idiot rather than being an ***.

Akamia

Inkling
NNID
TurnaboutAkamia
I barely even understood the question until I read most of these posts.

When I think of "taunt", I usually think of some sort of dedicated taunt button or command, like what many fighting games have, or even Team Fortress 2. To the best of my knowledge, Splatoon doesn't have that.

Aaanyway, I don't have time to taunt people. I just make my best attempt at completing my mission and move on.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I taunt in one specific circumstance: When someone is attacking me, I know they can't actually reach me, and they can see me. ZL ZL ZL ZL ZL! I've had more than one sniper suffer a reduction in their aim after that annoyance :D

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
I've always considered taunting a little... scrubbish. (No offense to anyone out there who regularly does it. You can still be a great player.) I don't do it myself nor do I do it back at someone if they do it to me. There's just simply not enough time to stop everything you're doing for a quick victory celebration. It's pointless really, and if you're not careful you'll just get splatted within two seconds anyway. Anything that doesn't have to do with actually battling should be saved for messing around in private battles in my opinion. I just feel like a teammate could've done something in those few seconds they wasted taunting someone, especially since matches can be completely turned around within 30 seconds.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I taunt in one specific circumstance: When someone is attacking me, I know they can't actually reach me, and they can see me. ZL ZL ZL ZL ZL! I've had more than one sniper suffer a reduction in their aim after that annoyance :D
*GLARE*

Some sessions that can get to me. Or they jump up and down. Or twirl in place, just on the edge of your reach. Or shuffle back and forth as if saying, "Now I'm in range. Now I'm not. Now I'm in range. Now I'm not."

*shakes fist* May you and your ilk never see the laser aimed at you!

Floating Eyeball

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Stanley618
^ I had something sort of like that in a ranked match-I was keeping a path to the RM platform inked up and messing with a bamboozler who was trying to stop me. At one point, they even tried to use their Killer Wail to stop me and still missed! (We had the RM, though, so it wasn't like I was causing problems for my team)

Unless I know it will help my team by distracting someone or someone's squidbagged me before, I don't usually find it really worthwhile, but I wouldn't be too upset with someone who does it. (or, at least, I'll try not to be)

Xehias

Pro Squid
NNID
Xehias
I don't mind if I get squidbagged after I get splatted doing something annoying like Disruptor spamming or camping a tricky spot—I'm just like "OK, fair enough." If I get squidbagged for absolutely no reason though, I will squidbag back the first chance I get. For some reason, other types of taunts aren't that annoying to me. I generally don't taunt umprompted, but I love those mini parties when you're winning in Rainmaker and are able to take the Rainmaker to a safe place with a lead to wait for the timer to run out.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
*GLARE*

Some sessions that can get to me. Or they jump up and down. Or twirl in place, just on the edge of your reach. Or shuffle back and forth as if saying, "Now I'm in range. Now I'm not. Now I'm in range. Now I'm not."

*shakes fist* May you and your ilk never see the laser aimed at you!
If I get people to focus on me over the objective and this allows my team to gain ground, I win ;)

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I don't usually do this sort of thing, just because it doesn't occur to me and/or I'm trying to stay busy in the game, but today, in Mahi Mahi RM, I did have a little dance. The opponents had had a disconnect early in the match and the Rainmaker was in their islands, them just barely managing to keep it from a KO (which we did manage, unfortunately for them, literally two seconds before the end).

At one point, we swept them and I re-coloured the path up to their podium before swimming up to it, watching as they respawned. The Junior on their team proceeded, cutely, to run around in circles on their spawn point (they were outranged by most of us so hadn't any business trying to attack) and I reciprocated by making some loops on top of the podium, before their E-Litre (also on spawn) charged up and I got back out of the way.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I think that taunting random players is really childish and shows very bad sportsmanship - especially when it's in Ranked. I've had players taunt me and I don't mind it. I actually find it to be a fun little challenge. Feel free to taunt me... But I hope you've got the skill to back up their arrogance of yours. I've discovered that most taunters don't actually have the skill to back up their arrogance and make for an easy target. ;) People who taunt squid partiers are the best. Congrats...? You killed someone who wasn't even trying. What a fantastic job. :p

When I'm with friends, I will occasionally taunt them. It's fun and games with my friends especially since we're usually talking over Skype or Facebook while we're playing Turf War. *shrugs* I've taunted someone before admittedly. But I had also gotten a quad kill with an Inkbrush. A quad with an Inkbrush calls for a cute little spin because I shouldn't be able to kill an entire team with an Inkbrush. :v

Rabite

Inkster Jr.
NNID
cboyd1987
Pretty sure that the majority of taunters are just salty squidchildren who are desperate to pour their angst into the digital abyss that is Arowana Mall. It's more adorable than enraging, because the extreme limitations on communication make it come off as comical more than anything else.

Taunt if you want, but don't be a total clown about it.

Princess Bubbie

Tiny lil' monster
NNID
Princess.Bubbie
You don't really have enough time to taunt. Even squidbagging is wasting time you could be inking the ground, or advancing forward.
I HATE squidbagging. xD Drives me nuts. Don't you have anything better to do?

Though, I'll admit if the person kills me more than once and they squidbag I get a little really salty and squidbag back. "HOW DO YOU LIKE IT NOW, *****!?! ಠ益ಠ"

Brunosky_Inc

57% Squid Kid / 43% Hipster
NNID
Brunosky_Inc
Ah yes, truly the truest of strats against camping snipers. I've made snipers take really bad decisions by doing that, and I know that once I made a particularly campy Charger rage quit right in front of me :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom