• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Team Colors

Xon Suprimes

Senior Squid
What are your predictions on how choosing your team color will work? Do you think it's always up to RNG on what your team color is, or could you be able to pick it?

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
I'm guessing it'll be randomly assigned but it'd be neat to give each team a separate list of options or something. It'd stop any confusion from having like two shades of blue facing off but still get some choice in the matter.

Noventia

Inkster Jr.
I'm guessing it'll be randomly assigned but it'd be neat to give each team a separate list of options or something. It'd stop any confusion from having like two shades of blue facing off but still get some choice in the matter.
From what we've seen, ser colours fight set colours, so that wouldn't happen anyway.
I'm assuming it will just be RNG.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
It'll be random, I can almost guarantee it. If there's FFA I hope you can choose your color but it will likely still be random.

Shuriblur

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shuriblur
It'd be nice if it would randomly pick a color from one member of your team's prefer Inkling color. I'm in a group and my preferred color is green, while the other members are purple, pink and orange. The game randomly picks from those colors.

Unfortunately, I believe the colors will be assigned randomly. Although, I do kind of wonder if a light blue and a dark blue can go against each other.

MrRoidley

Full Squid
It'll be randomized, most likely. Since the teams are color based, you need huge contrast between both colors (i.e. dark blue and orange are opposites in the color wheel, so they always are put against each other)
I do think though, that outside multiplayer (or team multiplayer if there's free-for-all), you'll be able to choose the color you want for the Inkling. And I hope it's the case. Really want me some green for my Inkling :P

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
it will definitely be randomly assigned. ProJared said that it was a random color each time in the singleplayer, and it'll probably semirandom for online so that more contrasting colors are selected. your hair color in inkopolis plaza will probably be the same as the last color you had online or in the singleplayer, and for character creation, it'll probably be random too

also, here's 6 colors from nintendo's website for splatoon:

those aren't ALL the colors; we've seen yellow and dark green in prerelease footage, but a total of 8 seems pretty good so that the colors can all stand out from each other. hopefully the algorithm for team colors online picks the most contrasting colors so we don't see matches of green vs lime green or purple vs pink

Shuriblur

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shuriblur
it will definitely be randomly assigned. ProJared said that it was a random color each time in the singleplayer, and it'll probably semirandom for online so that more contrasting colors are selected. your hair color in inkopolis plaza will probably be the same as the last color you had online or in the singleplayer, and for character creation, it'll probably be random too

also, here's 6 colors from nintendo's website for splatoon:

those aren't ALL the colors; we've seen yellow and dark green in prerelease footage, but a total of 8 seems pretty good so that the colors can all stand out from each other. hopefully the algorithm for team colors online picks the most contrasting colors so we don't see matches of green vs lime green or purple vs pink
I believe there are more colors than just 8. There's white, and an off orange as well. I even seen a Inkling that had a black color in the plaza, some one posted a while ago.

grandpappy

You guys made me ink!
NNID
eyeplaybass
I believe there are more colors than just 8. There's white, and an off orange as well. I even seen a Inkling that had a black color in the plaza, some one posted a while ago.
I thought I heard the evidence of white ink was faked? I don't know. I really can't see them using white or black since it will have a tendency to blend in far too well with some parts of the environments of multiplayer stages.

It definitely seems like colors will be randomized. I do hope they have a system in place to make sure they contrast well every match at least. There are some color combos that would really hurt the eyes trying to strain to see what's what.

DakiHero

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DakiHero
I feel like white and black ink would take away from the bright neon colour mess that they were going for. To me it being being so bright and colourful was a core part of the games identity.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Most likely random. White and black ink also seems to be a no go. I don't even know why anyone would want white/black ink anyways. We need a little color in our lives.

Shuriblur

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shuriblur
Well if black ink isn't real then darn! I can't quote a song while I "paint it black"...

Either way, I think there are going to be more colors than just 8.

Edit: After going back to where I found the post about the black inkling the person said it was just a really dark green.

Last edited:

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
my avatar & signature should tell you my color preferences :p

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
There are a lot of other shade variations on those colours, which is really neat because it adds a bunch of combination options. It seems that the combinations are preset, but it'll just be random which ones are actually used in your match, which is neat. Of course, I'd love to be able to play the royal blue looking colour all the time if I could, but hey.

I'm just happy it's not just the six from the picture above. It's great to have the variety there.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
Actually guys, a white color does exist in Splatoon.

There's a dark skinned male Inkling dressed in brown, he has white colored hair and eyebrows, at around :35...

LOOOOL WHY DOES THIS EXIST?!

But seriously, I'm kinda excited. I think having white would be awesome! butimhopingnintendorealizesthewhitepaintwouldlooklikeaspecificbodilyfluidthatisveryinappropriateforkids

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom