• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Tenacity vs. Special Charge Up

awedry

Full Squid
Hi,

Curious what everyone's thoughts are on using Tenacity versus using Special Charge Up.

I've preferred Tenacity with weapons that play the backline and tend to die less, or have more difficulty painting to build specials. With anything else, Special Charge Up feels better.

~A.

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
Special charge (and Comeback) are generally more consistent than Tenacity, which kinda eliminates the point in using the latter especially since how easy it is to die in general. Not to mention that Comeback gives you several boosts upon death.

Tenacity isn't the "worst ability" it's just outclassed by the other two.

saint_kthulhu

Full Squid
Special charge (and Comeback) are generally more consistent than Tenacity, which kinda eliminates the point in using the latter especially since how easy it is to die in general. Not to mention that Comeback gives you several boosts upon death.

Tenacity isn't the "worst ability" it's just outclassed by the other two.
Tenacity vs Comeback comes down to how often you die.

Comeback typically makes sense on front liners and some mid liners. It makes far less sense on a backliner. I mean, if you’re dying enough to need Comeback as a backliner, I doubt any gear is going to save you.

Tenacity is good on backliners only, unless you’re a god.

Regardless, Comeback and Tenacity are both situational. You either benefit after you respawn (Comeback perks = 1 main of Special Charge Up for 20 seconds after each respawn). Or you benefit when you’re teammates are down (Tenacity). Special Charge Up is consistently active throughout the entire match.

Side note: it is also popular to have 1 or 2 subs of Special Saver on your gear because you can save 8.9% or 14.6%, respectively, of your special meter with a minimal gear investment.

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
Tenacity vs Comeback comes down to how often you die.

Comeback typically makes sense on front liners and some mid liners. It makes far less sense on a backliner. I mean, if you’re dying enough to need Comeback as a backliner, I doubt any gear is going to save you.

Tenacity is good on backliners only, unless you’re a god.

Regardless, Comeback and Tenacity are both situational. You either benefit after you respawn (Comeback perks = 1 main of Special Charge Up for 20 seconds after each respawn). Or you benefit when you’re teammates are down (Tenacity). Special Charge Up is consistently active throughout the entire match.

Side note: it is also popular to have 1 or 2 subs of Special Saver on your gear because you can save 8.9% or 14.6%, respectively, of your special meter with a minimal gear investment.
True, Comeback is better for front/midliners and it wasn't part of the topic, however I was just saying that Comeback is still a reliable ability since you're bound to die at least once even as backliner unless if you have a godlike game and it's an ability that affects your special gauge either way.

Both Comeback and Tenacity are definitely usable and Special Charge is a good universal ability unless if you stack more than 3 subs/1 main which then it becomes wasteful due to diminishing returns. It's just preference if anything.

awedry

Full Squid
Thanks for the thoughts - I hadn't considered Special Saver but I might try that with Heavy and Hydra gear sometime. I'm striving to avoid dying as much as possible when playing these weapons, and it might not help as much as other abilities I'd use such as Run Speed.

A related question, I imagine Tenacity would work in conjunction with Special Charge or Special Saver if I had the slots for it?

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Thanks for the thoughts - I hadn't considered Special Saver but I might try that with Heavy and Hydra gear sometime. I'm striving to avoid dying as much as possible when playing these weapons, and it might not help as much as other abilities I'd use such as Run Speed.

A related question, I imagine Tenacity would work in conjunction with Special Charge or Special Saver if I had the slots for it?
The effects should be independent and therefore stack; Tenacity generates special automatically while it’s active, while Special Charge Up reduces the number of special points required to activate your special.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Yes, however, Tenacity has two effects when active: passive Special gauge fill and some Special Charge Up. That Special Charge Up, combined with normal slots of Special Charge Up, has diminishing returns as if it were the actual ability.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Yes, however, Tenacity has two effects when active: passive Special gauge fill and some Special Charge Up. That Special Charge Up, combined with normal slots of Special Charge Up, has diminishing returns as if it were the actual ability.
Where are the numbers for this? I remember reading this from some update but I can't for the life of me determine how many ability points it provides while active, and it'll determine whether I slot this into my CHydra build.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
I was actually looking for this myself. It looks like it wasn't changed at any point in Splatoon 2, and only the Splatoon 2 patch notes provide the exact number. It looks like it was an absolutely massive number in Splatoon 1 v.2.6.0--about 35 points' worth. Unfortunately it's hard to test due to the passive gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom