• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The American/Gridiron Football social thread!

Favorite NFL teams?

• Chicago Bears

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cincinnati Bengals

• Buffalo Bills

• Denver Broncos

• Cleveland Browns

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Arizona Cardinals

• San Diego Chargers

• Kansas City Chiefs

• Indianapolis Colts

• Dallas Cowboys

• Miami Dolphins

• Philadelphia Eagles

• Atlanta Falcons

• San Francisco 49ers

• New York Giants

• Jacksonville Jaguars

• New York Jets

• Detroit Lions

• Green Bay Packers

• Carolina Panthers

• New England Patriots

• Oakland Raiders

• St. Louis Rams

• Baltimore Ravens

• Washington Redskins

• New Orleans Saints

• Seattle Seahawks

• Pittsburgh Steelers

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Houston Texans

• Tennessee Titans

• Minnesota Vikings

• Total voters

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
Mods, if I'm doing something wrong, let me know!

Welcome to the thread for discussing American/gridiron football!

Given the fact that the NFL returns tonight on the date of this topic's creation with the Hall of Fame preseason game between the Minnesota Vikings and Pittsburgh Steelers, I thought I'd may as well make a thread on the discussion on this sport that is so well known in America. I don't think there's actually much people on this forum who are interested in sports or football, but I figured to make a thread for those who do, including myself, being a pretty big fan of sports, football included.

If you're wondering what American or gridiron football is, it's different from the football that we Americans call "soccer". Football is a sport where players on a team work together on one side (aka the offense) to get a player with the oval-shaped ball into an "end zone" to score a "touchdown" for 7 points, or at least score a "field goal", which is kicking the ball through the giant gap between the poles of a post for 3 points. On the other side, the defense, however, players must try to prevent that from happening, holding back the offense to the point of getting the ball back for their own offense through any legal means possible. That's just the basics of it, though; there are more rules to this game. Football requires strategy, power, speed, agility, and coordination of a team to win, and in the National Football League (NFL), every team battles at least once a week to help themselves get into the playoffs, where they will participate in a tournament where the overall winner wins the grand prize: The Super Bowl.

Although not widely known or played much outside of the states or even an Olympic sport, football is a popular sport within the Americas, and it has at least gained recognition in some parts of media outside the country, such as in the form of their helmets as customizable headgear in the Japanese-developed games Super Smash Brothers for the Wii U and 3DS and Splatoon, as well as even an anime (!) known as Eyeshield 21.

So, if you want to talk football, go ahead! Just keep things civil; sports fans can get unruly and biased, and football is no exception, no matter what team people root for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom