• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 The Best Weapon in the Game?

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
What do you think is the best weapon int he game? What do you think is the worst?

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Personally, my top 3 are Splattershot, Rapid Blaster (or almost any blaster with the exception of Clash) and Splat Brella.
Splattershot is by far the best right now, with (un)scoped Custom E4K being the worst.
I would agree on Splatershot, but personally, I think Tentabrella is much worse than any of the chargers.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
If we were talking about Pre-patch Tenta i'd 100% agree, but right now E4K custom is slightly more awful. Zero turf coverage, a weapon that's allmost inferior on every front to the Splat Charger and an abysmal set that doesn't help the weapon at all. Granted, Tenta also shares the same trash set, but at least it can move around a bit to place beakons and maybe maaybe get a kill here and there.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
If we were talking about Pre-patch Tenta i'd 100% agree, but right now E4K custom is slightly more awful. Zero turf coverage, a weapon that's allmost inferior on every front to the Splat Charger and an abysmal set that doesn't help the weapon at all. Granted, Tenta also shares the same trash set, but at least it can move around a bit to place beakons and maybe maaybe get a kill here and there.
But Eliter can get a kill from halfway across the map without the other person even knowing he's there, whereas the Tenta can't get a consistent (or fast) kill when the enemy is right in front of them.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
The real problem is that the E4K has been nerfed to only have one bar of range over the regular Splat Charger. It can't shoot that far anymore like it could in S1, and with only 3 shots as opposed to the regular chargers' 5.5 shots it feels really obsolete.

Another nerf is that chargers now emit this really bright light when charging, giving their position away to just about everyone. This is especially bad for the E4K since it's visible during it's entirety of it's long charging period. They can't hide and then take surprise shots at people like they could in Splatoon 1.

Don't get me wrong, i wouldn't want to pick either weapon but the E4K feels slightly worse to me simply because it gets outshined hard by the regular Splat Chargers.

RoronoaTREY15

Full Squid
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
Personally, my top 3 are Splattershot, Rapid Blaster (or almost any blaster with the exception of Clash) and Splat Brella.

I would agree on Splatershot, but personally, I think Tentabrella is much worse than any of the chargers.
Smart man lol.
1.rapid
2.splattershot
3.sloshing
I will say that there is not a huge gap in the top 3, or even after that. But as I'm sure you know, unless everything is the same, something has to be the best.
I just think these 3 weapons in particular are useful in every map and mode. I think Splattershot is #1 if we are talking ability to have more than one on a team, and viability on every map and mode.
Rapid is my personal #1 because I believe it has a higher ceiling on the maps it is good on, and it outright bullies a lot of other meta weapons.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
The real problem is that the E4K has been nerfed to only have one bar of range over the regular Splat Charger. It can't shoot that far anymore like it could in S1, and with only 3 shots as opposed to the regular chargers' 5.5 shots it feels really obsolete.
Even if the E Liter had the same range as it did in Splatoon 1, I'm sure it would be much worse than the Splat Charger still due to the close quarters maps. Combined with the lack of damage up, this really kills the usefulness of chargers in this game. I only pull them out because I'm a masochist; I could pick most any other weapon, put forth less effort, and still have more success.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031

Another nerf is that chargers now emit this really bright light when charging, giving their position away to just about everyone. This is especially bad for the E4K since it's visible during it's entirety of it's long charging period. They can't hide and then take surprise shots at people like they could in Splatoon 1.

Don't get me wrong, i wouldn't want to pick either weapon but the E4K feels slightly worse to me simply because it gets outshined hard by the regular Splat Chargers.
And the E-Liter can't do this:

To me, tenta has some upside, but it probably requires a certain amount of coordination. ELiter, I don't know. It's not that it's bad. It's that there's no point of it compared to some of the other chargers.

As for the best weapon, it's the Splattershot. Hands down.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
The best weapon in the game is really the weapon you personally can perform with the best. What good are the other weapons if you can't use them nearly as proficient as your main weapon? The worst weapon in the game follows that same rule for you as well.

Now statistically, the best weapon in the game is of course the splattershot, I've ranted a couple times about this weapon and for good reason. It is considered "the most balanced weapon in the game". Even though it's great at everything, except for range. Pair this up with a throw-able bomb for safe pressure, and you're in the clear.

For the worst weapon in the game, I don't know where you guys are coming from telling people that the custom e-liter is the worst in the game. It has the longest range out of any weapon in the entire game, giving it a very good niche on Moray being able to snipe people from across the middle area. Bubble Blower also gives the weapon opportunities to cover splat zones and gain turf for it's team. It's not the best weapon ever, but it's certainly not useless.

For the worst weapon in the game, I would have to pick goo tuber. Goo Tuber is just a gimmick and it is not consistent enough to be seriously thought about on a team comp. Ask yourself, "What does it have to offer a team" It has awful painting, a sub that doesn't help it much up close, short range for a charger, but a longer charge time than the splat charger for some reason. Well for all those negatives, what do you get? A longer held charge mechanic. whoa. That's it. So if you as so much and miss your stored charge on someone, you die. If you miss a shot or someone sees you charging up, you die. If you don't have paint to swim around with stored charge, you die. This weapon is just too reliant on a slightly enhanced ability that every non scoped charger (besides bamboo) has, leaving it in poor conditions when the user isn't able to use the mechanic.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
For the worst weapon in the game, I would have to pick goo tuber. Goo Tuber is just a gimmick and it is not consistent enough to be seriously thought about on a team comp. Ask yourself, "What does it have to offer a team" It has awful painting, a sub that doesn't help it much up close, short range for a charger, but a longer charge time than the splat charger for some reason. Well for all those negatives, what do you get? A longer held charge mechanic. whoa. That's it. So if you as so much and miss your stored charge on someone, you die. If you miss a shot or someone sees you charging up, you die. If you don't have paint to swim around with stored charge, you die. This weapon is just too reliant on a slightly enhanced ability that every non scoped charger (besides bamboo) has, leaving it in poor conditions when the user isn't able to use the mechanic.
Speaking from a Charger's perspective who had a Goo-Tuber on his team just recently, I couldn't agree more. Sure, with decent backing from your team and when your name happens to be Gool you might create the fancy illusion that it has its niche, but it just doesn't, imo. Said Goo-Tuber I had on my team did nothing but keep standing in my way, he couldn't kill or turf to save himself, so we ended up losing what boiled down to 3v4 essentially. This weapon is just beyond terrible and most players tend to jump into your way because of their short range, messing up your shots. Unlike the Clash blaster and the Flingza who can be quite viable despite having been former meme weapons, the Goo-Tuber is the worst I've seen so far, hands down. If I had to choose between using the Custom E-Liter 4K and the Goo-Tuber, I'd opt for the Liter no questions asked. If I had to choose between using the Goo-Tuber and the Tenta Brella, I'd use the Tenta Brella. Notice a pattern? Yeaaah. :D

The best weapon in the game is really the weapon you personally can perform with the best. What good are the other weapons if you can't use them nearly as proficient as your main weapon? The worst weapon in the game follows that same rule for you as well.
Yup, that's the most accurate answer for those wondering what to pick up (next). While it doesn't hurt to look at statistics and see if one of the top-meta-weapons could be up your alley, you shouldn't force yourself to make a hard switch only because it's "the best weapon out there". Unless you're a Goo-Tuber.

Jam

Inkling
The most powerful is the Splattershot. But its comes down to personal preference.
Personally the n-zap and the sloshing machine seem to work better for me. Also the Aerospray RG gets me pretty consistent results even after the nerf.

Flingza is the weapon i personally think is worst for me. That slow vertical flick doesn't kill like the dynamo. You may think you can use this to get around but the splat roller can use the curling bombs to much better effect. And the kit is just useless. The special is ok i guess but there are better weapons with the same special and who also charge it faster. As for the sub well its splash wall.... on a roller.... perhaps if it really did have the dynamo flick this would work but i cant find any use for splash wall on this weapon.

Last edited:

Otter Power

Full Squid
NNID
OtterGod
Splattershot really is shaping up to be it at the moment thanks to its kit. The main weapon is perfectly mobile and while not best, works out in about any situation. Not to mention burst cancel Splashdown? SD got buffed to the moon. To give you an idea, here's a clip from a friend of mine. It's kinda ridiculous:
Heyy, I love playing the Goo Tuber though. I will admit, though, it is one of if not the worst weapons in the game. It definitely needs a bit more buffing/tweaking going on before it could be considered playable. Maybe buff its tap-shot to travel the full range (like bamboozler) so that it can actually paint. More range, less charge time, there's so much you could change on it to give it a chance. hopefully we'll be seeing something in the next patch.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
Heyy, I love playing the Goo Tuber though. I will admit, though, it is one of if not the worst weapons in the game. It definitely needs a bit more buffing/tweaking going on before it could be considered playable. Maybe buff its tap-shot to travel the full range (like bamboozler) so that it can actually paint. More range, less charge time, there's so much you could change on it to give it a chance. hopefully we'll be seeing something in the next patch.
My busted suggestion has been to let the Goo Tuber not only keep a charge, but actually build a charge while swimming, and also make swim charge time infinite. All of the other chargers (the Bamboozler non withstanding) can replicate the Goo Tuber's gimmick to an extent by popping in and out of squid form.

RoronoaTREY15

Full Squid
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
The irony of a post asking about the best weapon in the game, ends up talking about gootuber lol.

But I think literally everyone can play splattershot, and that is why it is so heavily regarded. It is also the most flexible for playstyles. I'm not sure its top end is as strong as other weapons imo tho.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
The irony of a post asking about the best weapon in the game, ends up talking about gootuber lol.

But I think literally everyone can play splattershot, and that is why it is so heavily regarded. It is also the most flexible for playstyles. I'm not sure its top end is as strong as other weapons imo tho.
I definitely think it is, mainly because it has no large weaknesses. It has one of the fastest TTK in the game, good painting and movement speed, decent range with bombs and the main weapon, and unarguably one of (if not the) best specials in the game.

And really, Goober isn't THAT bad! It's a good counter to other chargers if you can consistently have good aim and positioning. It also has the best kit for fighting other chargers at close range with Splashdown and Succ bombs.

It's nowhere near as good a "anti-charger" as a Jet or Heavy, but it could have a place on certain teams.

RoronoaTREY15

Full Squid
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
I definitely think it is, mainly because it has no large weaknesses. It has one of the fastest TTK in the game, good painting and movement speed, decent range with bombs and the main weapon, and unarguably one of (if not the) best specials in the game.

And really, Goober isn't THAT bad! It's a good counter to other chargers if you can consistently have good aim and positioning. It also has the best kit for fighting other chargers at close range with Splashdown and Succ bombs.

It's nowhere near as good a "anti-charger" as a Jet or Heavy, but it could have a place on certain teams.
I think the problem with gootuber is that it's difficulty of use is a ten out of ten. There are probably only a select group of people that very skilled with chargers, and they would prefer to pick squiffer, splatcharger, ect.
The difficulty of use for a splattershot, octo brush, and nzap is about a 2 out of ten (number pulled from nowhere of course, but u know what I mean lol). So there is effectively no reason to pick gootuber when u can arguably gain better or similar results with weapons that require way less skill.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I think the problem with gootuber is that it's difficulty of use is a ten out of ten. There are probably only a select group of people that very skilled with chargers, and they would prefer to pick squiffer, splatcharger, ect.
The difficulty of use for a splattershot, octo brush, and nzap is about a 2 out of ten (number pulled from nowhere of course, but u know what I mean lol). So there is effectively no reason to pick gootuber when u can arguably gain better or similar results with weapons that require way less skill.
I completely agree, but I have this sneaking suspicion the Goober is going to get an insane buff in the near future. Wouldn't it be funny to see a Goo Tuber meta?

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Can't talk about the best weapon in the game without discussing the other end of the spectrum, basic rule of discussions. :D

1) There is no reason to pick a Goo-Tuber to beat Chargers in close range, as literally every close-range weapon with a decent TTK does the job equally well or better WHILE being able to turf and, do other stuff. Why make a counter-pick to a weapon that has a lower pick-rate to begin with and can be equally well outplayed by half of the weapon roster? Or in other words, why counter-pick against chargers in specific and risk ending up useless because you could've used a Splattershot or literally anything else instead?

2) Okay, I beg to disagree on the jet part especially with its slow projectiles, but I guess it boils down to personal experience. :D

So there is effectively no reason to pick gootuber when u can arguably gain better or similar results with weapons that require way less skill.
/signed. Unscoped Chargers share the most important part of its gimmick, and that being popping out of nowhere with a full charge. While the Goo-Tuber can store partial charges and for much longer, it can't really turf to save its life compared to its brothers and it needs turfed ground to make use of that feature in the first place, so there's really no reason to pick that meme of a weapon unless you're 100% sure your team can support you well enough, but then again, why pick the Goo-Tuber...Maybe I'm just an ignorant old fart who's grown to like the S1 chargers too much to accept its existence (yet), but the longer charge time, shorter range and gimmick stolen by unscoped chargers (bug or feature?) just don't make it worth the effort. I'd rather use the Custom Liter, and that's already a stretch.

Wouldn't it be funny to see a Goo Tuber meta?
After the tri-slosher and later on, baller meta, I've grown pretty indifferent towards goofy metas, so by all means, I'd buy some popcorn and enjoy the show. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom